Ducati 1199 details | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ducati 1199 details

from what I have read there seems to be a significant number of serious engine problems on the first model year of those BMWs?

there was an issue with the way people were breaking them in and a software patch to limit them to 9K RPM until the first oil change due to feedback from race teams.

I do remember that but the RSV4 was the one that was exploding engines and had to have the entire run recalled.

No argument with what you said Ric so don't take it that way but some companies are a lot more reliable than others.
Lol.There is a reason my tourer is a Honda.

a decompressor is something new? I thought some old tech cruisers had that.
I've seen decompressors in a few forms.The most common was a handlebar mounted lever such as the one used on the Yam XT500.But i've never seen one built like an old spark advance system right into the cam lobe.Need a techy to correct me.

The 1199 apparently only out performs the 1198 above 8000rpm.

Hence the surprise to not introduce R version first for WSBK racing. Don't you think that this is where the new technology producing more power would have shown its colors best, not by popping around on the street?

Pretty common knowledge that the S1000RRs aren't lasting. All the technology is good, but in typical BMW fashion, it seems to come apart at the seams.

BTW, what they're not saying is that the 1198 outperforms the 1199 *under* 8,000 rpm. That's how aggressive cam timing and higher flow heads work.

(prove me wrong)

Which is a lot like the S1000RR in that it has amazing HP numbers and power up top but no so much in the every day range where most of us are using it.... hence the RSV4 being my leading pick for next years bike.

For a street bike it packs a lot of low down, usable power.

Pretty common knowledge that the S1000RRs aren't lasting. All the technology is good, but in typical BMW fashion, it seems to come apart at the seams.

That's disappointing considering its price point and brand equity.

Ten98_Ducati "Lighter than every 600 cc bike out there on the market."

2007 cbr600rr dry weight is 345.

P.s. not much of a fan of ducati, they haven't even won a race this year in motogp and Rossi is even thinking about jumping ship.

Last edited:
Lol.There is a reason my tourer is a Honda.

I've seen decompressors in a few forms.The most common was a handlebar mounted lever such as the one used on the Yam XT500.But i've never seen one built like an old spark advance system right into the cam lobe.Need a techy to correct me.

Rick your showing your age when you talk about XT500s!

What teams race in motogp are prototypes, not an actual indication of their production bikes. Superbikes are close to production specs and based on what you see on the street. If you think that when you go buy a 1000 cbr from the dealer you get Casey Stoners bike well then i have nothing to say on it. Motogp is cyclical, ducati was dominant in 2007, then yamaha and now honda. That is no indication of the production bikes on the street, also motogp bikes are 800cc's. Casey Stoner is in a class of its own, if he was on a yamaha, i am sure he would have still won the championship. It is not an indication of honda, otherwise pedrobot had enough chance in years to win the championship. Casey won 3 races after his return from illness last year on the ducati before he left for honda, so the potential is there but you gotta be an animal to ride it. I am afraid Rossi does not cut the mustard and he will not take the risk unless he feels the bike can support his style of riding.

My mistake on weight, the 1199 will be about 350 lbs dry (could be lighter, no official specs yet), did not know that the 2007 cbr rr was 5 lbs lighter. I could not find dry weight for 2012 cbr 600, so i could not further correct myself.

What teams race in motogp are prototypes, not an actual indication of their production bikes. Superbikes are close to production specs and based on what you see on the street. If you think that when you go buy a 1000 cbr from the dealer you get Casey Stoners bike well then i have nothing to say on it. Motogp is cyclical, ducati was dominant in 2007, then yamaha and now honda. That is no indication of the production bikes on the street, also motogp bikes are 800cc's. Casey Stoner is in a class of its own, if he was on a yamaha, i am sure he would have still won the championship. It is not an indication of honda, otherwise pedrobot had enough chance in years to win the championship. Casey won 3 races after his return from illness last year on the ducati before he left for honda, so the potential is there but you gotta be an animal to ride it. I am afraid Rossi does not cut the mustard and he will not take the risk unless he feels the bike can support his style of riding.

Agreed for the most part. But I do think the Honda upped their game this year.

P.s. not much of a fan of ducati, they haven't even won a race this year in motogp and Rossi is even thinking about jumping ship.

Who cares? It has nothing to do with the bikes we buy from Ducati.

The new honda models are fatso's.

p.s. Ducati riders usually pay a surcharge because its called a Ducati (LAME)and on top of that also another surcharge because its a SS.

p.s. Ducati riders usually pay a surcharge because its called a Ducati (LAME)and on top of that also another surcharge because its a SS.

Uh, no. Obviously you don't own one.

The new honda models are fatso's.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense :rolleyes:. Just like Mercedes Benz owners pay a surcharge because its called Mercedes and not because the car is any better than lets say a GM or Chrysler.

they added the rev limiter for the breakin period because of all the failures, and redesigned some engine components for the 2nd model year.

You can read about them on their forum:

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/

I'm familiar with that forum. Having read most of the posts there is no widespread issues with the engine. Other than...

there was an issue with the way people were breaking them in and a software patch to limit them to 9K RPM until the first oil change due to feedback from race teams.

I do remember that but the RSV4 was the one that was exploding engines and had to have the entire run recalled.

As noted, some people were doing burnouts right out of the box and had engine troubles. Also, several had hydrolock issues due to no tip over sensors.

Engine seized, and another in the same thread is talking about cam problems:

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/b...09-hi-all-oh-yeah-my-engines-just-seized.html

Some owners seem a bit nervous:
"That was one of my concerns, and ex warranty is £400 with a £100 excess, I think there maybe a lot of owners thinking likewise and there were an awful lot of S1000's registered early 2010"

Common knowledge to whom? People I know with them are happy and if you peruse the forum linked above the vast majority love the bike.

I have 20,000 kms on mine with no engine troubles. I've owned four Hondas '72 CB750, '78 CB400, '79 CBX, '87 CBR1000F and can't say the same for them (clutch issues, alternator issues, brakes issues). Couple of minor issues with the S1000RR like an abraded clutch cable and I've not been too thrilled with the service and parts accessibility from my local shop. But I love the thing and have no concerns with its reliability.

But, I also realize that nothing I write will influence anyone that don't like the Beemer. The same as nothing any Duc owner writes will convince anyone that thinks Duc's are overpriced and fragile that they are in fact amazing motorcycles that the vast majority of owners love.

But to someone else's comment earlier, its difficult to not react when someone writes uninformed crap about something you love. Oh well. Gotta love the internet.

Last edited:
Like I said, it's common knowledge. Not a lot of reason to post sources when it's all over the 'net.

Sounds good, actually very good. The power/weight ratio will be crazy .... :)

As far as Ducati haters ... well I think most people don't have the cash they cost, nor do you see many Ducati riders at local track days or club races, so when you combine all the marvelous technology and how people use it, it mostly sound that most Ducati riders are well off Tim Horton posers. I personally don't prescribe to this theory and don't really care. You ride and enjoy what you can afford and the way you like, it's your money not mine ... I'd prefer to spend money on a slower less powerful bike which would cost half, but I could ride it "faster". I'd hate riding a fast bike slow.

Have you ever been to a DOCC event at say Mosport or Calabogi ? There are 3 classes full of Ducati's from the slowest of novices to the fastest of Pro's and not a Tim Hortons in sight......

Back
Top Bottom