Ducati 1199 details | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ducati 1199 details

15 k mile service interval as opposed to 7.5 k mile service interval on the 1x98. $ wise 20 k base, 25 k for s and 30 k for special edition tricolore. I am not sure if they will have an R model this year because ducati factory is pulling out of superbike racing for 2012. 25 more hp (195) and 25 lbs less than 1198, that puts it around 350 lbs dry. Lighter than every 600 cc bike out there on the market.

Sounds good, actually very good. The power/weight ratio will be crazy .... :)

As far as Ducati haters ... well I think most people don't have the cash they cost, nor do you see many Ducati riders at local track days or club races, so when you combine all the marvelous technology and how people use it, it mostly sound that most Ducati riders are well off Tim Horton posers. I personally don't prescribe to this theory and don't really care. You ride and enjoy what you can afford and the way you like, it's your money not mine ... I'd prefer to spend money on a slower less powerful bike which would cost half, but I could ride it "faster". I'd hate riding a fast bike slow.

Last edited:
All riders are defensive of their brand.

I don't think that's true. I personally couldn't really give a crap what brand I have and what other people say about it. It's like some kind of inferiority complex or something. Strange.

I don't think that's true. I personally couldn't really give a crap what brand I have and what other people say about it. It's like some kind of inferiority complex or something. Strange.

Ok, I should have said that every brand has both antagonists and defenders.

Last edited:
If I just spent 20gs on a new bike for someone to call it a POS I'd be definsive too. Unless you ride it on the track you'll never use 20% of the technology but you'll have the bike you want to ride and enjoy, mabie the prices on the 1198 will drop enough now that my wife will let me buy one.

Ok, I should have said that every brand has both antagonists and defenders.

Yeah, I suppose that's true. It just seems like there's more of the Ducati crowd. Rick's cool about it all..but some owners just lose their minds if you say Ducait ain't all that.

Yeah, I suppose that's true. It just seems like there's more of the Ducati crowd. Rick's cool about it all..but some owners just lose their minds if you say Ducait ain't all that.

I ride a Ducati and have never defended it, infact i agree myself it is not the fastest bike in the world, it is probably not the best handling bike, looks are subjective i am sure some people find it hot others loathe it. Ergonomics are not friendly, chews up tires like crazy, is very finicky and temperamental, city driving is hell and the vibrations make the filling come out of your teeth, the monoblocks feel like you have hit a wall everytime you press on the brakes. You dont ride the bike, it lets you ride it (only a ducati owner will understand that).
However what i do find surprising is that most people come up and are oogling over the bike at meets etc and ask all kinds of questions yet on forums the same people put down ducati as if they have been riding one for years.

However the point of this post was that the 1199 will be a technological marvel, not saying good or bad but atleast an innovation. The biggest complains about ducati was the service schedule, they doubled it from the 999 to the 1098 and have now doubled it from 1098 to 1199. The whole idea of the bike was to save weight. They could have easily put a bigger starter to move those big slugs to get the bike to fire up but that would add weight so they engineered a decompresssor of the cam lobes to kick in till the bike starts up and then go back to regular compression. Cost wise no one would do that but Ducati. Forget about it being the most powerful v-twin production motor in the world, it actually will be the most powerful production bike in the world horsepower to weight ratio. However the haters will not see that, their complain probably would be that the pillion seat is too uncomfortable for their spouses.

I think you are painting everyone with the same brush, kind of. The real haters, whether here or elsewhere are in such a minority to people who honestly admire the technology and craftsmanship, but would never spend their money to own one for the reasons you listed yourself and some others.

I ride a Ducati and have never defended it, infact i agree myself it is not the fastest bike in the world, it is probably not the best handling bike, looks are subjective i am sure some people find it hot others loathe it. Ergonomics are not friendly, chews up tires like crazy, is very finicky and temperamental, city driving is hell and the vibrations make the filling come out of your teeth, the monoblocks feel like you have hit a wall everytime you press on the brakes. You dont ride the bike, it lets you ride it (only a ducati owner will understand that).

Now if I win a lottery, all my nonsense talk is over and I'd get one in a heartbeat .... but it would be my track day weapon of choice, I'd never bother to run it on the street.

The 1199 motor will no doubt be awesome.But i think Ducati will have an even tougher time making the engine street friendly.Most Ducs in the past few years have been delivered with finicky fueling problems to meet emissions standards.Even my low tech Hyper was terrible when new till i tweaked it.When the performance bar is raised,tuning becomes even tighter.It'll be really interesting to see this bikes development,and how the competition counters.

Oh and thank you Invictus!

The desmo system will be able to handle the extra stress of the huge valves.They are ti now which helps even more.The service intervals (12k i think)should be the same as the 1198 except for the belts,which are gone now.

Nope service interval is 15,000 miles, 24K. Actually the Ducati website has the best information on the bike as well as Ducati Daily. The servicing is meant to be easier too.

Ducati are not pulling out of WSB either the 1198 is remaining there for 2012 as it's very competitive still.

The 1199 apparently only out performs the 1198 above 8000rpm.The plus side for me is the service interval, the easy starting allowing for smaller starter and battery, LED lights for less strain on the electrical system. On paper at least it sounds like they are building a SBK that is even easier to live with day to day as a daily while giving amazing performance.

Last edited:
The 1199 motor will no doubt be awesome.But i think Ducati will have an even tougher time making the engine street friendly.Most Ducs in the past few years have been delivered with finicky fueling problems to meet emissions standards.Even my low tech Hyper was terrible when new till i tweaked it.When the performance bar is raised,tuning becomes even tighter.It'll be really interesting to see this bikes development,and how the competition counters.

Oh and thank you Invictus!

Actually I have to disagree in my experience Rick. My 998 is fueled perfect and so is my 1198. So much so I have never changed the pipes on the 1198 in fear of impacting the fueling, why change it if it's not broke I certainly don't need the extra 8hp LOL.

Thanks for the service interval correction Simon.Funny how some people get lucky and others can have an awful time.I'm sure that the percentage of motors with problems is very small tho.And some people (like me) are just fussy.

However what i do find surprising is that most people come up and are oogling over the bike at meets etc and ask all kinds of questions yet on forums the same people put down ducati as if they have been riding one for years.

However the point of this post was that the 1199 will be a technological marvel, not saying good or bad but atleast an innovation. The biggest complains about ducati was the service schedule, they doubled it from the 999 to the 1098 and have now doubled it from 1098 to 1199. The whole idea of the bike was to save weight. They could have easily put a bigger starter to move those big slugs to get the bike to fire up but that would add weight so they engineered a decompresssor of the cam lobes to kick in till the bike starts up and then go back to regular compression. Cost wise no one would do that but Ducati. Forget about it being the most powerful v-twin production motor in the world, it actually will be the most powerful production bike in the world horsepower to weight ratio. However the haters will not see that, their complain probably would be that the pillion seat is too uncomfortable for their spouses.

I'm not a Duc owner but I do know what you mean. The comments I get and the comments I read about the BMW S1000RR have been similar to what you describe. The fact is I love the thing and all else is irrelevent.

I really like the 1198 but I'm just not sure the styling of the 1199 does the same for me. Amazing tech though and power though. Looks like a great bike.

Thanks for the service interval correction Simon.Funny how some people get lucky and others can have an awful time.I'm sure that the percentage of motors with problems is very small tho.And some people (like me) are just fussy.

So true.

Funny how some people get lucky and others can have an awful time.I'm sure that the percentage of motors with problems is very small tho.And some people (like me) are just fussy.

I got one of the first three 1098's to hit Canada and had a terrible time sorting the ECU issues that came with it. I basically missed out on a lot of riding for the 07 season and part of the 08 season waiting for the dealership, then Canadian rep, then Ducati Americana and then finally Ducati themselves to solve it so.... some people have had 0 issues and some have had lots.

I knew this getting into a first run bike and although frustrating and somewhat acceptable I never had a single issue with three consecutive R1's.... so, it's far from a brand that has fussy owners. in saying that though, I have enjoyed it immensely and am seriously considering the 1199.

......however, I won't be jumping on "the first one" this time around and will be giving some serious thought to RSV4 (so far the front runner) and possibly the S1000R.

No argument with what you said Rick so don't take it that way but some companies are a lot more reliable than others. Ducati is more or less the bottom of that list.

It's funny in a way that BMW could produce such an amazing bike as a first run model without even a base "old" model to come from and so far seem pretty much bulletproof.

Now if only it wasn't so god damn ugly.... :)

I got one of the first three 1098's to hit Canada and had a terrible time sorting the ECU issues that came with it. I basically missed out on a lot of riding for the 07 season and part of the 08 season waiting for the dealership, then Canadian rep, then Ducati Americana and then finally Ducati themselves to solve it so.... some people have had 0 issues and some have had lots.

I knew this getting into a first run bike and although frustrating and somewhat acceptable I never had a single issue with three consecutive R1's.... so, it's far from a brand that has fussy owners. in saying that though, I have enjoyed it immensely and am seriously considering the 1199.

......however, I won't be jumping on "the first one" this time around and will be giving some serious thought to RSV4 (so far the front runner) and possibly the S1000R.

No argument with what you said Rick so don't take it that way but some companies are a lot more reliable than others. Ducati is more or less the bottom of that list.

It's funny in a way that BMW could produce such an amazing bike as a first run model without even a base "old" model to come from and so far seem pretty much bulletproof.

Now if only it wasn't so god damn ugly.... :)

from what I have read there seems to be a significant number of serious engine problems on the first model year of those BMWs?

. The whole idea of the bike was to save weight. They could have easily put a bigger starter to move those big slugs to get the bike to fire up but that would add weight so they engineered a decompresssor of the cam lobes to kick in till the bike starts up and then go back to regular compression. Cost wise no one would do that but Ducati. Forget about it being the most powerful v-twin production motor in the world, it actually will be the most powerful production bike in the world horsepower to weight ratio. However the haters will not see that, their complain probably would be that the pillion seat is too uncomfortable for their spouses.

a decompressor is something new? I thought some old tech cruisers had that.

Back
Top Bottom