Ducati 1199 details | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ducati 1199 details

Wingboy

Site Supporter
Some really innovative (for ducati) details have gone into this motor.Good read.
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2...e-over-square-design-and-huge-power/#comments
Look at those slugs!
scaled.php

Last edited:
It's amazing how short the piston skirt and narrow the ring land area have gotten..especially in a piston that big. Looks like a 600 piston practically, except for the reinforcing ribs beneath the crown. That's some impressive output from a twin..

As one of the comments suggests,This new machine is a lot like John Britten's work.He was way ahead of his time.

It looks awesome. I still would rather have the RSV4, but I'm a sucker for V4s. If I was racing though... this looks like it could be a killer package.

As one of the comments suggests,This new machine is a lot like John Britten's work.He was way ahead of his time.

I think this way about car development. Aerodynamics were comical in the 60's..and yet aircraft were well-understood by that time. I don't understand how there could be such a disconnect. John Britten was the kind of guy who could figure out that self-sealing fuel tanks existed in airplanes and could be rather useful in race cars. He applied mondern design to motorcycles. Smart guy.

Incredible innovations like:
-Chain driven cams
-Shell main bearings
-Wet clutch
-Reed valve air injection system
-Wet cylinder liners

Seriously though, the 1199 is gonna be a pretty sweet bike. Those pistons are pretty big!

Now you've done it Rick, I guess I'll have to make a stop at GPbikes next week

Can we set up a bet on how many recalls the 1199 gonna get after release? Lol
Sure.Start another thread in romper room.No need to flame this one is there?

Those pistons are pretty big!

Pistons like pistons .... but the intake valves are 46.8mm in diamater ... wow, at that RPMs, some crazy forces must be going in that kind of drive train. Ducati has said that the engine has lower service maintenance requirement, but I have not read anywhere what is it.

Pistons like pistons .... but the intake valves are 46.8mm in diamater ... wow, at that RPMs, some crazy forces must be going in that kind of drive train. Ducati has said that the engine has lower service maintenance requirement, but I have not read anywhere what is it.
The desmo system will be able to handle the extra stress of the huge valves.They are ti now which helps even more.The service intervals (12k i think)should be the same as the 1198 except for the belts,which are gone now.

Last edited:
15 k mile service interval as opposed to 7.5 k mile service interval on the 1x98. $ wise 20 k base, 25 k for s and 30 k for special edition tricolore. I am not sure if they will have an R model this year because ducati factory is pulling out of superbike racing for 2012. 25 more hp (195) and 25 lbs less than 1198, that puts it around 350 lbs dry. Lighter than every 600 cc bike out there on the market.
Ducati themselves have claimed that they have never offered so many advancements in one generation change. I am sure there will be growing pains and issues assosciated with it but i am glad i atleast have the option to buy something that is cutting edge and innovative rather than other cookie cutter models and makes. People have different preferences so it might not be for everybody but it is a bike that is not made for everybody.
Wasnt there a recall for ALL new zx10's because of a major issue that was so grave that even dealers did not know about it. Just had to send the bikes to Kawasaki. Yet i am surprised about how many ducati haters jump onboard everytime. I am not referring to you Skyrider i know you were kidding but there will be a bunch of people that will follow i am sure that will say ducati went away from dry clutch, same people complain about the dry clutch sound too, plus other issues like trellis etc. I will miss the sound but i understand that they had to do it to meet sound levels for EPA and california emissions. We will only know how good the bike is in november but i am sure there will always be an excessive amount of ducati haters, 90% of them because they cannot afford it.

This is a very signficiant bike for Ducati.

Hopefully I will get a chance to ride one sometime next season.

Back
Top Bottom