Drones | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Drones

They fly below 1000 AGL. No manned aircraft flies below that level unless taking off or landing at a designated airport and the airspace around airports where that would be likely would be excluded from their flightpaths.

Exceptions would be things like powered parachutes or something flying low level. Not sure how they deal with that but I'm sure there's some sort of visual obstacle avoidance system going on to achieve the level of certification they have.

They fly below 1000 AGL. No manned aircraft flies below that level unless taking off or landing at a designated airport and the airspace around airports where that would be likely would be excluded from their flightpaths.

Exceptions would be things like powered parachutes or something flying low level. Not sure how they deal with that but I'm sure there's some sort of visual obstacle avoidance system going on to achieve the level of certification they have.
Although theoretically there is not much below 1000 agl, I have been in a plane scud running to avoid IMC. I would not have been impressed if I was killed by an amazon delivery.

They ain’t supppsed to be there as per the CARS.

If they’re doing it to avoid IMC for lack of planning they’re already afoul of a few different rules.

And again, given the certification level this company has received I’m reasonable certain some visual obstacle avoidance system of some sort has to be part of their system.

The those drones are probably flying 50-100 feet AGL as well. Any plane scud running that low has some serious issues at that moment, drones would be the least of their concern. ;)

Credit card charge came in - $975.08. $1287 retail here after taxes.

So, buying from DJI with the Education Discount saved me basically $300.

Credit card charge came in - $975.08. $1287 retail here after taxes.

So, buying from DJI with the Education Discount saved me basically $300.
It ships from outside Canada? How can you be certain no taxes or duty will be assessed?

It ships from outside Canada? How can you be certain no taxes or duty will be assessed?

Comes direct from China, and there’s thousands of posts online from endless people saying it arrives no duty no taxes in Canada this way.

Not sure how, and I too was skeptical at first, but there’s no shortage of people saying it’s commonplace (Google it), so hey, I guess I’ll find out.

a post on rfd mentioned that if you are charged DJI will refund the amount....no idea if that’s true. If DHL is the courier the package would normally have brokers fees etc anyway (I’ve had DHL from Europe before with a bunch of fees and duties) so if it doesn’t it must be shipped with them all included.

Really depends on the declared value. I had a parcel come from China via DHL a month or so back and with a $25 declared value it arrived with nothing due.

I’ll be looking closely at the paperwork when it arrives and will post up my findings. It’s possible they’re just prepaying everything in order to scoop orders directly away from retail - face it, what do these things cost them to make? $50? $100? They can probably afford to pay $200 for the shipping and duties / taxes/etc prepaid and they still pocket $600+.

And I’m still not sure how I ended up with two 10% discount codes, but the second one is still showing there. Looks like I may be ordering a second Air2 for a friend - just want to see how this one pans out so far as any surprises, as above.

I've ordered countless things from the UK with friends and no duty was ever paid. Ordered a few things from china too (aliexpress) and nothing either being charged. From the states theyve raised the minimum limit to charge duty with the new nafta agreement. So cross your fingers.

Drone arrived yesterday. Sure enough, no taxes...no duties, nothing. Charged it up, did a firmware update on both the controller and the drone, and got a test flight in.

Love it so far, but since it uses yet another freakin app (Honestly, DJI has about 10 different apps I think depending on what model drone you own) so I have to go in and setup all my yaw damper settings, gimble tweaks, etc etc all over again.

First thing I noticed is how bloody quiet it is compared to either my old Phantom or especially the Spark. It's not only quieter, but the whole pitch of the noise from the props is different, far more of a "whoosh" noise versus the annoying "herd of mosquitos" most other drones make. Once it's 50-60 feet up and a short distance off you can't even hear it anymore at all under normal flight conditions.

Looking forward to having some more time to poke around with it this weekend. Damn days are getting so short so early here now that by the time I get home from work and have dinner it's dark.

The application of these charges is, apparently, entirely random. Glad it worked out for you.

Its been my experience that almost no parcels with a value listed north of $100 make it unscathed by taxes and duties, much less valued at nearly $1000.

When it arrived I looked carefully for paperwork that showed declared value etc etc. There was none. Just a small pick slip inside the outer packaging, and the usual parcel company stickers etc etc.

It's evident they're submitting all the customs docs electronically and I suspect declaring the value as nil or something to accomplish this. There's no other way a thousand dollar item is traveliing half way around the world to a foreign country without any taxes at minimum otherwise.

A lot of what i get shipped for personal use really seems to depend on how its shipped . UPS and DHL seem to collect taxes and such on behalf of the gov't. Probably an incentive % to do it, stuff i get in the post seems to be unchallenged largely. Had $300 hardware come in last week from the US, no taxes or duty, USPS. $280 hardware came from the US week before UPS (Brown truck) and got dinged $85.00 in 'brokerage' and tax. Came in from a cruise with a $3000. US watch, French Polynesia to YYZ, declared and told to keep walking, line was too long.

Its a complete crapshoot on personal purchases in my experience. Country of origin, how its shipped, who's collecting is so willynilly

Back
Top Bottom