Drive home from dealership or get it trailered? how fast of a learning curve? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Drive home from dealership or get it trailered? how fast of a learning curve?

ice05

Site Supporter
Hi All,
Finally bought myself a 2011 Ninja 250! Im really excited but also really nervous! I took the training course at Sheridan in 2008 and have had my M2 since then, it was only for the 2 standard days that I "rode" in the parking lot. Questions:

1. How fast would the learning curve be for shifting/downshifting/ not stalling (hopefully)

2. for those that were new how long till you hit the highway?

3. should I get the bike trailered to my house by one of the companies that offer it, get a friend to ride it for me, or brave it out? Im picking it up from Kahuna and I have to go back to sauga :S

Hi All,
Finally bought myself a 2011 Ninja 250! Im really excited but also really nervous! I took the training course at Sheridan in 2008 and have had my M2 since then, it was only for the 2 standard days that I "rode" in the parking lot. Questions:

1. How fast would the learning curve be for shifting/downshifting/ not stalling (hopefully)

3. should I get the bike trailered to my house by one of the companies that offer it, get a friend to ride it for me, or brave it out? Im picking it up from Kahuna and I have to go back to sauga :S

Dude, if I wasn't busy today, I would so come out and help you out. Actually, when are you picking it up? If you want to go now, and make sure we're back for 11:30, I'll come and follow behind you.

Have somebody ride with you. Riding it home will be more satisfying.

Hi All,

To respond to your questions:

1. I would say it'll take about a week or 2 for you to get the stallys out of your system. Good thing about the 250 is that you'll be changing gears a lot, so you'll get a lot of practice. Just remember your course, and take it slow and steady. I would take it to a parking lot and practice everything from changing gears up and down, turning, and braking (especially emergency braking.) Do this for a few days before you really jump out on the road.

2. I waited until about 1.5 months until I jumped on the highway, but there's no real rule. Just wait until you're comfortable. Try to go on when there's no traffic, as that's a different beast. But you'll find that highway riding is actually easier than the street in many ways.

3. There are a few horror stories about people dropping their brand new bike out of the dealership, but it's not typical. Since it's been so long since you've been on the bike, I would really recommend that you have someone come with you, and at least follow you. If you really don't feel comfortable, let them ride it home for you. Before you set off, feel out the clutch and make sure you're comfortable.

If you want, I can take your bike from Kahuna to Sauga.. You'd have to pick me up and drop me off in Etobicoke (2min from 427/Gardiner).. I'll pm you my numbers.

Hi All,

I would trailer it home for $100. In fact that's what I did with my first bike. you haven't been riding for 3 years, wouldn't want to drop a bike on the first day you own it. Get it home and you can practice on the residential roads with less trafic.

I would trailer it home for $100. In fact that's what I did with my first bike. you haven't been riding for 3 years, wouldn't want to drop a bike on the first day you own it. Get it home and you can practice on the residential roads with less trafic.

Another good option and reasonably priced.. I'd do it for free, but trailering it is always safer than riding it, so you can consider the $100 as insurance :p Your choice

I would trailer it, or get someone to ride it for you. Very least...get 2 buddies and stay between them.

@ HorizonXP thanks for the offer (sorry for some reason I cant reply with quote with safari) I dont pick it up today, I pick it up midweek so Im just trying to do preparations....

one of my friends offered to ride the car back to my house for me, hes a little bit speed happy but he did promise to stay withing the RPMs and break in guidelines LOL... I just feel bad for inconveniencing him since my little 250 would be nothing compared to the speed of his gixxer 750 lol.

I got a quote from uhaul its 14.95 for the motorcycle hitch which isnt bad...sadly id have to get a truck to hitch it to lol given to do it that way wont cost more than $80 tax in? I got a quote from motolimo and its closer to $160...

where do you guys know where i can get it for $100?

Trailor it home for the peace of mind. Many people drop their first bike coming out of the dealer, you don't want to be one of those guys.

Especially after such a long time off the bike, you want to start slow in side streets until you get your coordination in, then tackle stop lights and traffic after you are confident you won't panic.

I'd say about a month of casual riding before hitting the highway, sooner if you ride more often early on.

If you trust a person riding it back for you I can. Im in Mississauga (Kennedy / Matheson - The Hershey Center)

Dealers usually offer to deliver it for $100
it wasnt an option he offered but that mighta had something to do with my friend sayin he'll do it for me (friend was with me when I went shopping lol)

Grats on the new bike. Nice to see another fellow ninja 250 on the road.

I rode mine home with a buddy in cage blocking for me at the back. I felt so good arriving home and it sure was a confident booster.

Don't be afraid to ride it home. Just take it easy with the throttle and the brakes with the tires being new. Relax and enjoy. If you are leaving from kahuna, there are some long side streets around where you can practice a bit before heading home. Caution on picking up mid-week is that there's no real downtime with traffic on Steeles.

I got mine in April. Put on 3800km since then, with the first 2000 or so strictly city riding (no highway). The bad thing is it's a lot of clutch work riding with downtown traffic. The good news is it forces me to get comfy with shifting, riding friction zone and controlling throttle. I am taking some extra caution, some may say i'm over-doing it. But at the end, it is what I feel comfortable and it's me that's riding to my limit. My first highway experience (including country roads) was 3 weekends ago when me and my buddy got lost up north east in between Lake Scugog and Kawartha Lakes. Ran out of time and had to get home quick, so we took highway 35 south then 401 west and exited around Morningside. It was easier than I envisioned. All your training will come into play such as shoulder checks and being aware of what's around you. This morning (around 6am) I finally mustered up enough courage to take on the Gardiner and DVP. It's a breeze when there's almost no traffic :)

I'm glad I had to break-in the engine, and that time period kept me honest and allowed me to practice shifting all my gears. The 250 is really nimble. It'll treat you well as long as you treat it well. Ride your limit, not others.

p.s. Did you get frame sliders on the bike?

Have fun with your new toy and ride safe.

Last edited:
If you can find an empty parking lot nearby and do some stop and goes before you hit the road home.

A few years back we stopped at a dealer in Dieppe NB on the way home from Nova Scotia, a girl on her brand new Ducati monster made it to the parking lot exit before she stalled the bike then tipped over. Somehow she managed to barely hold it off the ground while the boys ran over to help. A few minutes of instructions and circuits of the parking lot helped her get a little more used to the bike. When she left she shot across 2 lanes before turning the way she needed then off she went followed by her mother and sister in the car.

@ HorizonXP thanks for the offer (sorry for some reason I cant reply with quote with safari) I dont pick it up today, I pick it up midweek so Im just trying to do preparations....

one of my friends offered to ride the car back to my house for me, hes a little bit speed happy but he did promise to stay withing the RPMs and break in guidelines LOL... I just feel bad for inconveniencing him since my little 250 would be nothing compared to the speed of his gixxer 750 lol.

I got a quote from uhaul its 14.95 for the motorcycle hitch which isnt bad...sadly id have to get a truck to hitch it to lol given to do it that way wont cost more than $80 tax in? I got a quote from motolimo and its closer to $160...

where do you guys know where i can get it for $100?

I've used MotoLimo twice, and one of those times was last week. Cost was $100 plus GST, mind you the distance was not very far.
Time for the good ol' fashioned bartering system, call them back and make an offer if you want to trailer it home.

Congrats on the 250.

The learning curve all depends on you. I like what others suggested. Before going home, find an empty parking lot or something and practice there for a couple of hours. It's a real big confident booster.

I picked up my bike in April but there were some complications so I only got it insured end of May. The same day I got it insured, I went on the highway because I had to go see Ted at Rosey Toes. Again, it's a big confidence booster.

I know you don't want to damage your new bike so how bout we trade the ride home? You take my 650 and I'll ride your 250. :D

Awesome! Glad to see you finally got it! If you need people to ride with you from Kahuna, my buddy and I will be happy to assist. :)

I've always had mine trailered home. That way I can adjust the bike and then practice in the safest way.

Back
Top Bottom