DOT helmet audit. 43% fail to meet performance standard. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

DOT helmet audit. 43% fail to meet performance standard.

EPS in storage will go at least 500 years before degrading. The plastics used in a helmet shell at least 100 years. Storage is not the issue, it's safety evolution. Considering helmets haven't changed much in the last 20 years, I wouldn't worry too much about a NOS helmet with a 5 year old date code.

This helmet is only 48 years old.IF i put it on (i won't because i'm afraid of what is in there) i think it would fit like it was 5 or 6 sizes too big.The EPS liner was white once upon a time.Now it is a nice organic brown colour.All the glue that held the velour liner to the EPS is now dust.
Try it on.It's a medium.I double dog dare ya.
hh6ZdRm.jpg

Inside.
3MtDrAc.jpg

yes I forgot about all the "evaporation" that the helmet suffered while in a plastic bag, in a helmet bag, in a sealed box, kept at 71 degrees in the dark for its entire life. I've inspected the EPS foam and it has all the characteristics of a brand new helmet, springy, no flaking, no dryness, etc. I have motocross + mtb helmets i've tossed after 3 years from them constantly being wet/dirty and having the EPS go hard/brittle.

But please continue to tell me how a budget lid, with the same shell size as the one 3 sizes up, is somehow safer than one of the best designed helmets you can buy with a few extra years on it. I'm sure HJC is using the exact same quality of EPS and materials as Arai as well.

As great as FortNine is, please show me the scientific study he highlights his numbers from. Manufacturers recommend anywhere from 3-7 years to cover their *****. I'd rather use my judgement and experience to decide when the helmet isn't good instead of the marketing guy + lawyers making some trivial number up.

check-out an actual peer reviewed study instead of some guy making fun youtube's:
EPS Foam Helmet Liner Performance With Age
A bunch of non-sense claims doesn't back up anything you've said.

How's that for comparison?

Also, I've never said Fortnine videos are something you need to consider. I was pointing out how foam degrades.

EPS in storage will go at least 500 years before degrading. The plastics used in a helmet shell at least 100 years. Storage is not the issue, it's safety evolution. Considering helmets haven't changed much in the last 20 years, I wouldn't worry too much about a NOS helmet with a 5 year old date code.
Wow. Fail. That's just all I can say.

I just ordered one, lets see what happens!
just got this back from Snow City;

Hello
There is a problem with our website pricing at the moment
This Helmet is $659.99 not 69.99.
If you wish to process with the order let me know, I would have to refund you this order
and redo the order with 10% off the helmet and free shipping
I apologies for this situation

Thank you,

Ext. 215

Shipping and Receiving

just got this back from Snow City;

Hello
There is a problem with our website pricing at the moment
This Helmet is $659.99 not 69.99.
If you wish to process with the order let me know, I would have to refund you this order
and redo the order with 10% off the helmet and free shipping
I apologies for this situation

Thank you,

Ext. 215

Shipping and Receiving

Would have been crazy, a $70 RF-1200! I wonder if they should honor it like Amazon did during all the black friday glitches and people basically got cameras for free. Though diff companies and margins all together

A bunch of non-sense claims doesn't back up anything you've said.

How's that for comparison?

Also, I've never said Fortnine videos are something you need to consider. I was pointing out how foam degrades.

yah lets cherry pick a discontinued lid vs. the one HJC with a 5 star rating. I'll consider a SHARP rating the next time i'm dropping my head 8.5 meters on an anvil.

HJC CS-R1 - SHARP
Arai GP5X - SHARP

^^^ look at that proved ya wrong!

here's another great 5 star SHARP helmet (safest out there apparently!)- Lazer Bora - SHARP. Almost as cheap as that Shoei! I'm sure you'd feel just as safe in that as an Arai, Shoei, AGV, etc.

still waiting on that peer reviewed study to backup your EPS foam degrades in 5 years claim.

Considering helmets haven't changed much in the last 20 years, I wouldn't worry too much about a NOS helmet with a 5 year old date code.
I really don't think this is true. Materials and manufacturing processes are constantly evolving so a mid-range helmet designed in 2019 should be safer than a high end helmet designed 10 years ago.

Personally I consider the differences between a lot of helmets as marginal. I bought my first FF Shoei in 1984 for $60. It was a big thing back then to have a vented helmet. It had a fibreglass shell. It went through hell. Chips and dings all through it. I don't think there was a SNELL standard yet back then.

I had a half-shell that did same. Both DOT. You have to be realistic and see through the marketing hype. Obviously a FF helmet will afford better facial protection. But is it really going to make a difference if the shell is PVC or fiberglass or even carbon fibre? Only if .5lbs of weight matters.

A helmet is a simple thing. A shell, Styrofoam liner, and a material comfort liner. In all helmets you have 1-1.5" of distance between your skull and the impact object. It stops fracture by dispersing energy over a wider area. However, Styrofoam can't absorb the kind of energy that will prevent concussion, it's too hard and there isn't enough distance to slow your head down safely. Your brain is going to rip arteries loose and smash against the walls of your skull. So, you can believe the stories about expensive helmets over cheapos, but there's no magic formula that will make you more invincible.

Just get a comfortable FF helmet that fits snugly. I recommend the wind-tunnel tested models to avoid hearing impairment.

I bought my first FF Shoei in 1984 for $60...I don't think there was a SNELL standard yet back then.

There sure was. For example, here is one of my old Simpson helmets with a Snell 75 sticker. The Snell Foundation was established in 1957. I'm certain some Shoei lids were Snell approved in '84.

a4315da4cb3076d6f10bb6b8017e31af.jpg

The Snell Memorial Foundation is a nonprofit organization created to provide a high quality standard of safety for helmets. Founded in 1957, the foundation is named after William "Pete" Snell, a popular sports car racer who died in 1956 of head injuries he received when the racing helmet he wore failed to protect his head. A group of friends, scientists, physicians, and others joined together to create a group that would promote research and education as well as test and develop standards to improve the effectiveness of helmets.
Bell, Arai and Shoei have been producing helmets to that standard since the late 1960s.

Had to bring your lid with you to tech in the 70s. No Snell sticker, no race.

Got a rebuttal?

You are too old and stubborn. You won't change your opinion anyway.

yah lets cherry pick a discontinued lid vs. the one HJC with a 5 star rating. I'll consider a SHARP rating the next time i'm dropping my head 8.5 meters on an anvil.

HJC CS-R1 - SHARP
Arai GP5X - SHARP

^^^ look at that proved ya wrong!

here's another great 5 star SHARP helmet (safest out there apparently!)- Lazer Bora - SHARP. Almost as cheap as that Shoei! I'm sure you'd feel just as safe in that as an Arai, Shoei, AGV, etc.

still waiting on that peer reviewed study to backup your EPS foam degrades in 5 years claim.
LOL. Butt hurt huh?

Why would I do your homework? Go do some research junior.

This helmet is only 48 years old.IF i put it on (i won't because i'm afraid of what is in there) i think it would fit like it was 5 or 6 sizes too big.The EPS liner was white once upon a time.Now it is a nice organic brown colour.All the glue that held the velour liner to the EPS is now dust.
Try it on.It's a medium.I double dog dare ya.
hh6ZdRm.jpg

Inside.

pretty sure I wore that helmet a few years ago
scooter rental place in Varadero provided it to me
yeah, didn't smell very good

Back
Top Bottom