DOT helmet audit. 43% fail to meet performance standard. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

DOT helmet audit. 43% fail to meet performance standard.

GTFO! Really!?!
Bought it from Snow City Cycle Marine, MOTORCYCLE DEALERS TORONTO, MOTORCYCLE DEALERS IN TORONTO

Which Shoei did you get?

I stumped how they are selling a RF-1200 for $69.99! (cheapest i saw, and that is Snell and DOT Certified, at least the real one I have is) Must be a mistake or a fake, which would be surprising from a dealer.

Which Shoei did you get?

I stumped how they are selling a RF-1200 for $69.99! (cheapest i saw, and that is Snell and DOT Certified, at least the real one I have is) Must be a mistake or a fake, which would be surprising from a dealer.

Maybe its part of the Motovan fire sale ?

Yup, a $260 Shoei new, never heard of it, let alone DOT only.
I've purchased SHOEIs for less than $200 new, typically when they release a new SNELL date code. CycleWorld used to buy up 5 year old NOS and sell them cheap. About 5 years back I bought 2 RF1000sfor $199each and an RF1100 for $299. I don't do track days so the SNELL expiry didn't mean a lot to me.

I was able to register the warrantys on all the helmets.

Fortnine lists the helmet for $659. Could be a mistake but can I force them to honour it ?

I've purchased SHOEIs for less than $200 new, typically when they release a new SNELL date code. CycleWorld used to buy up 5 year old NOS and sell them cheap. About 5 years back I bought 2 RF1000sfor $199each and an RF1100 for $299. I don't do track days so the SNELL expiry didn't mean a lot to me.

I think @ACsurge should mention what Shoei it is in question, as it was "$900 new"... RF1100's on discount are older models and still great lids, however on the RF-1200 they changed a lot more than a SNELL date code, I got a RF-1200 and bought a heavily discounted Quest when the newer RF-SR was announced, so deals can be had.

That $69.99 RF-1200, would be an insane deal if true and real

I just ordered one, lets see what happens!

I got the GT-Air
Manufactured Aug 2016. So older bucket. Only has a DOT sticker on it. Probably won't get though SNELL as it has a sun shade. However may have gone through SHARP. But nothing officially in the box or helmet.

Mine differs in colour only

Its a solid lid, check the reviews, lots of people crashed in it and real world results with alot of positive remarks - I wouldn't worry about the DOT only in this Shose's instance, they make safe lids like many other top brands. Shoei GT-Air Helmet | 31% ($200.00) Off! - RevZilla

"I hit a deer going 65-70mph wearing my GT Air and went tumbling. Destroyed the helmet but I had zero head trauma, not even a headache. "
"2 months after she bought it from me I got in a bad accident. The Dr.s in the E.R. kept telling me if I wouldn't of worn a helmet I wouldn't be here today. "

Anything with a built in sunshade fails Snell automatically. The helmet can still be safe but it is not approved for Track use. The helmet can ALSO be ECE even without an ECE sticker. If the helmet is shipped to Europe it'll get that sticker. But those shipped to North America won't get that sticker.

Which Shoei did you get?

All the other colour helmets are $639.99....I am sure it is just a data entry issue. Somebody missed a 3.

So Shoei's website says to change helmets every 7 years. What is the censors on this?

I should register it also. Has a couple years warranty left

That’s when Kahuna was doing some money laundering. You won’t find shoei deals like that very often.

So Shoei's website says to change helmets every 7 years. What is the censors on this?

I should register it also. Has a couple years warranty left
For primary brain buckets, I normally go for at least five years of active use, ~10 from manufacture date. After that, they get demoted to occasional passenger duty, then motorsport duty (SxS so the chance of a headshot is low), then display or garbage.

I have an Arai with an 08 date code. sat in all the original packaging in a climate controlled closet for the first decade of its life. As long as the EPS foam is still springy and has no visible issues (cracking, deterioration, etc.) IMO it’s probably still good to go. I’d rather wear my 12 year old Arai than my 2yr old HJC though i'll probably retire it before 5 riding seasons.

What really kills helmet is all the sweat, hair gel, UV light, moisture, etc. that breaks down the shell + EPS over time.

I have an Arai with an 08 date code. sat in all the original packaging in a climate controlled closet for the first decade of its life. As long as the EPS foam is still springy and has no visible issues (cracking, deterioration, etc.) IMO it’s probably still good to go. I’d rather wear my 12 year old Arai than my 2yr old HJC though i'll probably retire it before 5 riding seasons.

What really kills helmet is all the sweat, hair gel, UV light, moisture, etc. that breaks down the shell + EPS over time.
The dumbest comment of the day.

I have some experience in the sports industry that uses a lot of helmet. Try not to use helmets over 5 years. Even without any use, EPS form degrades a lot.

Check 3:03.

The dumbest comment of the day.

I have some experience in the sports industry that uses a lot of helmet. Try not to use helmets over 5 years. Even without any use, EPS form degrades a lot.

Check 3:03.

yes I forgot about all the "evaporation" that the helmet suffered while in a plastic bag, in a helmet bag, in a sealed box, kept at 71 degrees in the dark for its entire life. I've inspected the EPS foam and it has all the characteristics of a brand new helmet, springy, no flaking, no dryness, etc. I have motocross + mtb helmets i've tossed after 3 years from them constantly being wet/dirty and having the EPS go hard/brittle.

But please continue to tell me how a budget lid, with the same shell size as the one 3 sizes up, is somehow safer than one of the best designed helmets you can buy with a few extra years on it. I'm sure HJC is using the exact same quality of EPS and materials as Arai as well.

As great as FortNine is, please show me the scientific study he highlights his numbers from. Manufacturers recommend anywhere from 3-7 years to cover their *****. I'd rather use my judgement and experience to decide when the helmet isn't good instead of the marketing guy + lawyers making some trivial number up.

check-out an actual peer reviewed study instead of some guy making fun youtube's:
EPS Foam Helmet Liner Performance With Age

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom