Does Toronto actually have a plan? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Does Toronto actually have a plan?

Baggsy

Site Supporter
I've heard people talk about the war on the car, but what I've seen seems to be a war on everything and everyone.Things seem to be put in in an expensive hodgepodge way designed to conflict with each other.

Are there city planners? Are they ever listened to?

I've heard people talk about the war on the car, but what I've seen seems to be a war on everything and everyone.Things seem to be put in in an expensive hodgepodge way designed to conflict with each other.

Are there city planners? Are they ever listened to?

Toronto is just chaos

I'm not paying a toll feee to work in downtown, very stupid idea.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: - just from reading the title.

The content... no they obviously do no. All these bike lanes, red lanes and what ever other BS they come up with is just the lowest simplest solution they can do without actually changing the infrastructure (which is exactly what they should do). So there is no real plan, there never has been, I've never seen it for the 40 plus years living here. it's like they only know how to do things one way and keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again. Heck there are plenty of roads with one lane full of parked cars and a streetcar track in the other... how the f does that make any sense.

Just recently they closed off the south end of Bayview near distiller district (bayview north to river is blocked), for a bike lane. This is stupid, more so because there is construction on the cherry street tunnel (closed) to lakeshore so you can't even escape this area. How these things get approved is ridiculous.

I've got one of these red lanes in my area. Morningside, so they converted 2 lanes to 1 lane, the red lane is for bus only. Traffic crawls now, and there are hardly any buses around. Makes no sesne I never wanted this. How can I get it repealed?

Circling the drain seems like the plan. My wife and I are going down on Saturday for the first time in years. We have a gift card from a decade ago for 360 that we have never used. $100 should be enough for an appetizer and beverage (childrens breakfast is $40). Probably wait in line for the ferry and ride around the island, eat dinner somewhere and gtfo. I'll come back in another decade. Nothing down there is appealing enough for me to deal with the traffic, crowds and a&^%&^%holes.

Circling the drain seems like the plan. My wife and I are going down on Saturday for the first time in years. We have a gift card from a decade ago for 360 that we have never used. $100 should be enough for an appetizer and beverage (childrens breakfast is $40). Probably wait in line for the ferry and ride around the island, eat dinner somewhere and gtfo. I'll come back in another decade. Nothing down there is appealing enough for me to deal with the traffic, crowds and a&^%&^%holes.

This weekend is the Pride fest and lots of other events. Safe driving!!

Toronto has an Official Plan, however, it's not by definition a Plan -- it's a policy book with an overview of the city along with a lot of vague descriptions and definitions.

A Plan sets goals along with the milestone, a timeline, and a budget. This is not a Plan.

As a result, Toronto has no cohesive approach to solving transportation and housing-based needs, instead, they are driven by lobbies, poorly qualified committees, political wrangling with the province and feds, and the loudest barking residents. It's also a red/orange council so you're not likely to ever see a real plan -- just not in their DNA.

The biggest problem is all of these things are influenced by special interest groups and politics.

I've said it here a million times...there's no way that you can make a proper 'plan' that accommodates everyone. Someone will always have an issue. Same as transit (my line of work)...you need to disconnect it from politics, and that's impossible because it's used to buy votes from the group you want to vote for you.

The Ontario Line, Scarborough Subway, Eglinton LRT, and Yonge North Extension have all changed a million times in their alignments, details, number of stations and other details depending on who is in power.

I love it, because it keeps me employed. But is it what's best for the City and it's residents...depends on who you ask.

Personally I think they should 100% toll people to drive into the City...but before you do, make sure you have VIABLE transit options that can be taken in place of the car. A GO train coming from Milton every 30-45min into town up to 9am is NOT viable.

The Lakeshore West Line is much better as it has more trains, more stops, longer working hours, and runs on the weekend...Milton GO does not.

The biggest problem is all of these things are influenced by special interest groups and politics.

I've said it here a million times...there's no way that you can make a proper 'plan' that accommodates everyone. Someone will always have an issue. Same as transit (my line of work)...you need to disconnect it from politics, and that's impossible because it's used to buy votes from the group you want to vote for you.
I worked for the Planning Department at the TTC for 38 years; retired in 2011. When I started working there, back in 1974, the Planning Departments at the TTC and the then City and Boroughs, worked quite well together. Even after amalgamation there was a good relationship and a common goal. I believe this is because the politicians at the time actually believed what their professional staff told them and made decisions based on these recommendations. That no longer exists because politicians keep changing their minds, depending on their political stripe, or on who they are trying to please. The endless flip-flopping has resulted in delays and additional costs. It's been entertaining to sit on the outside and watch the mess unfold knowing I never need to venture into the City again.

I thought the plan was to sell off as much land to their condo developer friends, building some parks for the newly and old homeless, while employing youngsters to work for uber eats on bicycles.

On side note, I'm stil laughing at the cancelation of taste of Danforth due to all the bicycle lanes they painted.

I thought the plan was to sell off as much land to their condo developer friends, building some parks for the newly and old homeless, while employing youngsters to work for uber eats on bicycles.

On side note, I'm stil laughing at the cancelation of taste of Danforth due to all the bicycle lanes they painted.
Totd hissy fit was epic. "You need to remove all bicycle lanes and street patios for our three day event". "That would be extremely disruptive, cost tens of thousands and would be disruptive for at least nine days, just deal with it". "Screw you, we wont do our festival then". "Perfect, less work for us".

On side note, I'm still laughing at the cancelation of taste of Danforth due to all the bicycle lanes they painted.
Taste of the Danforth was cancelled by the organizers because they didn't feel they had enough time since the relaxation of COVID restrictions to do a good job.

The Ontario Line, Scarborough Subway, Eglinton LRT, and Yonge North Extension have all changed a million times in their alignments, details, number of stations and other details depending on who is in power.

I love it, because it keeps me employed. But is it what's best for the City and it's residents...depends on who you ask.

Personally I think they should 100% toll people to drive into the City...but before you do, make sure you have VIABLE transit options that can be taken in place of the car. A GO train coming from Milton every 30-45min into town up to 9am is NOT viable.

The Lakeshore West Line is much better as it has more trains, more stops, longer working hours, and runs on the weekend...Milton GO does not.
Agree on many points. Love the GO train. Last trips were to Whitby + local bus to visit a car dealer and Niagara Falls for a weekend trip - could have driven, chose the alternative for a change. Helped that I was a 10 minute walk from Union.

With all the current/upcoming large infrastructure/transit projects, is there enough supply of skilled workers to fill the jobs?

Was on TYSSE for 2 years then ECLRT 7 years - on the Constructor's end. Turnover on ECLRT was very high, Finch LRT as well, I hear from colleagues. Many jumped ship from the Constructor to work for IO or Metrolinx - good salary, less pressure, less chaotic. Ontario Line will be even more technically challenging than ECLRT. With Finch, Hurontario, Ontario Line, GO Transit Expansion/RER (& others?) on the go at the same time, it's unprecedented, and a massive resourcing challenge.

Great time to be employed in Rail & Transit in the GTA, that's for sure!

We have roads and sidewalks for people to travel from one point to another. Roads for vehicals and a path at the side for pedestrians to walk. No allowances were made for scooters, skate boards, unicycles, hoverboards, e-bikes, pogo sticks, joggers.

Roads and sidewalks were mean for transportation not recreation.

Throw in the Me Me Me generation and walkways are hazardous to the underdog.

Plan???? Ponzi schemes have a simple plan. Make as much as you can and then bail out before the thing crashes.

Apparently, the former mayor was doing some planning for seniors, the homeless, and daycares in Toronto, without consulting anyone, before he suddenly quit:

Apparently, the former mayor was doing some planning for seniors, the homeless, and daycares in Toronto, without consulting anyone, before he suddenly quit:
So now visitors will be snuggling in meat meals into the centres?

I understand it’s still preliminary stages according to the video, but can see them justify removing meats from the diets for ‘nutritional’ and ‘cost’ benefits.

So now visitors will be snuggling in meat meals into the centres?

I understand it’s still preliminary stages according to the video, but can see them justify removing meats from the diets for ‘nutritional’ and ‘cost’ benefits.
Notice that they wouldn't commit to it costing less. ;)

Back
Top Bottom