Do you support these War Profiteers? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you support these War Profiteers?

Mad Mike

These companies made a big deal out of their pledge to "pull out Russia', but instead Yale University says they are doubling down and gobbling market share from companies that took the hit and left.

Heineken (beer)
Unilever (Dove soap, Ben & Jerry’s, Lipton tea, Vaseline, Knorr)
Mondelez (Cadbury chocolates, Oreo and Chips Ahoy, Ritz, Philedalphia
Nestle (Kit Kat, Nescafe, Purina)
Philip Morris (smokes)
Alibaba (online mall)
Guess (fashion, jeans)
Yamaha
Kawasaki

Does operating in Russia impact you decision to buy/not but from a company?

These companies made a big deal out of their pledge to "pull out Russia', but instead Yale University says they are doubling down and gobbling market share from companies that took the hit and left.

Heineken (beer)
Philip Morris (smokes)
Alibaba (online mall)
Guess (fashion, jeans)
Yamaha
Kawasaki

I don't buy from most of those on a regular basis anyway. For those I do buy (eg ritz for the kids), I doubt I will change my pattern. I am more annoyed about press releases not matching actions than I am operating in Russia tbh. Pulling out of a country is complicated. Tbh, from my view the craziness level hasn't changed all that much at the top in Russia. Companies pulling out since Ukraine is more about PR than moral stance imo.

As for morally picking companies, if I wasn't concerned about Alibaba in China, why would I care about them in russia? I've never bought directly from them (slightly morally guided, mostly put off by the sketchiness of the whole thing).

As stated above, I don't buy much from the companies listed above.
They can operate where and how they see fit, the only people they need to please are the largest of share holders.
The public may seem offended on their Instagram posts, but we all know they'll be buying the same things in a day or two.

**** em all. I’m surprised to see Ben and Jerry’s on there though as they are pretty activist (tried to pull out of Israel) but beholden to their corporate masters.

Heineken is pisswater anyway.

Nestle have just become more and more evil as they have grown bigger, see baby formula and bottled water controversies. Headquartered in Switzerland, the home of chocolate cash sellouts.

The only people that wear Guess are those stuck in the fashion era of the 80’s so staying in Russia makes sense.

Nestle have just become more and more evil as they have grown bigger, see baby formula and bottled water controversies. Headquartered in Switzerland, the home of chocolate cash sellouts.
I was trying to avoid these evil sods for a while now.

They are all off my list because they made whoopala about their stand to pull out. When their competition started to pull out and write down their assets, many of these companies doubled down.

I realize a corporation is not a real person so it doesn't itself have a conscience. But a board can, and should.

Heineken (beer)
Philip Morris (smokes)
Alibaba (online mall)
Guess (fashion, jeans)
Yamaha
Kawasaki

Documentation ? I'm not doubting but I'd like to see some facts to back up the allegations.

Are Russian hockey players, friends of Putin, affected?

Should we punish India for taking advantage of cheap Russian oil?

Those companies own so many smaller companies it's hard to sort out.

While some might not invest in the outright purchase of the stocks of those companies they may own them through mutual funds or CPP investments. There are ethical stock portfolios but the term is subjective.

Don't really buy any of those products on the list except maybe the odd kit Kat every now and then. That being said, I wouldn't stop buying KitKats because of the war in Ukraine to tell you the truth.

It’s very difficult to navigate the products and brands owned by others…so no, I don’t actively go searching what avoided or supported continued operations in Russia.

It’s all PR bull crap anyway.

IMG_0086.jpeg

Yes I avoid those (already knew) and try to keep an eye on the companies that fake pulled out like Reebok, Levis, etc. (shell companies). The list is dynamic at times.

It is a small thing to do if one actually supports Ukraine, sort of an easy choice if that is the case.

Consumer activism can be powerful, just ask the companies that dropped the NRA years ago, or Budweiser recently. Good and bad.

I guess I don't, just by pure luck I don't purchase much from most of those companies.
I'm just a small cog with no influence to impact this grand scheme.

I guess I don't, just by pure luck I don't purchase much from most of those companies.
I'm just a small cog with no influence to impact this grand scheme.
Small cogs have a collective influence.

Wanna Bud Light?

Being uninformed or unaware doesn't make a person bad.
To quote Simon and Garfunkel..."i can gather all the news i need on the weather report".

Back
Top Bottom