Do you hear this when the cops pull you over? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you hear this when the cops pull you over?

I meet tons of cops in and out of uniform while riding, out of uniform are riders (usually meet them out on the road someplace), in uniform some are and come up for chat, look at the bike.

I've only been pulled over once by a cop for a traffic violation, which broke a 10+ year stretch. Maybe it's not the cops you need to worry about but your riding habits which are attracting their attention because if it has happened more then once, the problem is you.
I've been pulled over 3 times in 25 years of riding, but thanks. 🙄

But you only get trapped if you do something wrong, correct?

No. Pulled over and given a speeding ticket and an added bonus tax following to close ticket on the 407 @ 7:45 AM? You were singled out. EVERYONE is speeding and EVERYONE is following too close @ 7:45 AM on the 407.

What percentage of the times you have been pulled over do the cops say they are also riders?

Never, because I've never once in all my years and hundreds of thousands of kilometers of riding been pulled over while on my bike. It probably has a lot to do with just generally being a reasonable rider and keeping my heat score low.

Many times I've seen the cops laying traps.

Speed limit is the speed limit, whether you like it or not. Non observance of limit changes doesn't mean they don't apply to you - It's been my observation across 30 years of commercial driving that people that blow into a 50 zone out of an 80 zone and hadn't slowed down by the time you came to a speed trap, that person had no intention of any meaninful reduction of speed to begin with and probably damn well deserved what they got.

And I say this as someone who got nabbed myself for 95 in an 80 zone in my work truck (of all things) about 10 years ago because I was rolling down a hill....and 80,000# pushes you. And I put on my big boy pants and paid for it, got the letter in my file at work, and moved on with live, with my observational skills a little more refined now. 30 years driving this fall and that was the one and only time I've ever been pulled over in my work vehicle, so hey, I guess I was doing just fine with those skills with that one lapse however.

Jack-Boot-Thug-Pigs only there to impound your property, take you to the dungeon and steal your money!!! Always film police and always invoke your right to remain silent!!

Jack-Boot-Thug-Pigs only there to impound your property, take you to the dungeon and steal your money!!! Always film police and always invoke your right to remain silent!!

Translation: I don't think the rules of society should apply to me and whenever I get pulled over for something I did it's someone else's fault because laws suck.

Btw, in Canada you must at minimum verbally identify yourself to police during a simple traffic stop. Just refusing to talk at all can garner you an obstruction charge on top of whatever other laundry list of tickets you're probably going to end up with as a result of being intentionally difficult at that point.

Your right to remain silent is indeed your right beyond the point of verbally identifying yourself, absolutely, but actions have consequences and you'll not be immune to those. Being a dick during a simple traffic stop is a sure fire way to send your heat score off the charts and cause you to have a *realllllllly* bad day instead of just a slightly bad day as you go off with whatever ticket you earned with the option to fight it in court or whatever you choose.

Too many people have forgotten driving is a privilege, not a right.

Case law disagrees with you. It takes a lot to get your license suspended. If you get more infractions, they commonly give you another license suspension. It is rare that they take significant action to keep you from driving.

Hell, on the licensing front, you can take tests as many times as you want in something like 40 languages. You can have no concept of the roman alphabet and be legally on the road. Sounds a lot more like a right than a privilege to me no matter what the politicians say.

I never had the man say he rode as well, but I have had a gun pointed at my head.
Michigan in the 70s!

On my Duc 900ss many years ago. Waiting to pull out of my neighbourhood with a Honda ricer and a suv behind me. Green light, both passed me on the right and 200m later i get pulled over. Cop gave me a 70 in a 50. Asked him why not the other two. Loud red bike always gets it first. Nice bike btw.I have a virago.

A number of speeding tickets. Never had a cop say he rides.

After a long, hard day at the salt mines, I thought I'd take my XL600 to the park to work out some frustrations.
On the way home, covered in mud COMPLETELY, I got lit up just as I turned onto Dundas. The cop gets out of the car LIVID, yelling at me saying I'm an idiot that's riding a motocross bike on the street, and only a MORON would do that. I try to defuse the situation by quietly cleaning the 12 lbs. of mud off the license plate, show him the plate, give him my license, ownership and insurance... didn't help... I'm a moron, I'm going to jail... false documents, unplated vehicle, insurance fraud... everything he could think of.
He went to his car, played with the computer for a bit, found out I DO have plates, I do have insurance... the bike is street legal.
He gets out of the car, all smiles and friendly like: NOW HE WANTS TO BUY THE BIKE.
I used to ride moto with a couple of Mississauga cops, one weekend... GUESS who shows up. I let him ride the XL. He didn't want to buy it anymore, he didn't even want to ride it. It was a scary bike.

I was pulled over twice on my '73 GT750... just so the cop could check out the bike

Case law disagrees with you. It takes a lot to get your license suspended. If you get more infractions, they commonly give you another license suspension. It is rare that they take significant action to keep you from driving.

Hell, on the licensing front, you can take tests as many times as you want in something like 40 languages. You can have no concept of the roman alphabet and be legally on the road. Sounds a lot more like a right than a privilege to me no matter what the politicians say.

At the end of the day if you do enough stupid things and they take it away or suspend it, you have no grounds to rush to to the human rights commission on the topic.

We could split hairs on how stupidly easy a license is to get to begin with, which I wouldn't disagree with, particularly as somebody who spends all day on the roads and has to deal with the results of that reality, however my comment above stands.

If I did enough dumb things at work and they took away my A class I wouldn't be able to scream to anybody long enough or loud enough that it's my "right" that I get it back and find any success with that.

I've had 1 bad encounter with a cop almost 15 years ago while in my car but it was my own fault. Over the past 5 years though I've been pulled over twice with my gf bailing me out both times with a side of white privilege.

1st time, we go out to dinner/have a drink to celebrate the new house purchase. 11pm at night, red light turned green, I blast off in my loud as **** junky bmw and boom, berries and cherries instantly coming at me. We do the dance, cop looks at my gf and she is absolutely visibly ******. Cop told me to go up to the boonies if I wanna race and do hoodrat things. He shared that he had an tuned up R32 Golf and said that I had enough trouble on my hands and to take care on the way home. I was shocked that he let us go on this one.

2nd time was this past summer. Gf along for the trip again. I give the KTM a good squirt WB on Victoria St to Brock in Whitby, just under the little bridge there. I go northbound on Brock and the cop nabs me over the hwy bridge. He must have been hiding real good. While the cop is looking at my info, my gf says "What you saw was as fast as the ktm can go. Its a little guy!". We all laughed (I cried inside) and he started chatting bikes with us. He mentioned having a vrod and after all that, he let me go and said to take care. This was a pleasant stop overall

Translation: I don't think the rules of society should apply to me and whenever I get pulled over for something I did it's someone else's fault because laws suck.

Btw, in Canada you must at minimum verbally identify yourself to police during a simple traffic stop. Just refusing to talk at all can garner you an obstruction charge on top of whatever other laundry list of tickets you're probably going to end up with as a result of being intentionally difficult at that point.

Your right to remain silent is indeed your right beyond the point of verbally identifying yourself, absolutely, but actions have consequences and you'll not be immune to those. Being a dick during a simple traffic stop is a sure fire way to send your heat score off the charts and cause you to have a *realllllllly* bad day instead of just a slightly bad day as you go off with whatever ticket you earned with the option to fight it in court or whatever you choose.

I vaguely recall obstruction of justice requiring a physical act, (hiding documents, blocking police from entering an area, etc).

At road side you’ll get the smorgasbord of failure to provide document tickets, vehicle towed and then likely arrested until they can ID you to issue summons (as required) and then released.

Over 50 years of riding, was only pulled over once when the 'headlight on' law first came out. Was on my way home because I had forgotten my wallet with work ID. Maybe speeding cause I would now be late for work. Explained to cop what was up. Told me to slow down, turn on my headlight and he would be waiting for me when I came back through to go to work. On the way back, saw him, stopped and showed him paper work, all good. Still late for work, but no ticket.

Back
Top Bottom