Do you buy used or new? Why? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you buy used or new? Why?

First 2 bikes were new. First owned for half a season(lost a few hundred on resale), then got the 2nd and kept it for 7 years(lost 2/3 of purchase price, but gained lots of use and life). I was a new rider and didn't know people in the sport or much of the mechanical to look out for the first couple of years. Learned lots over the decades. Have bought used ever since. Probably ahead of the $$ in buy and sell terms.

All my cars were new though.

Depends on the deal. Dealer gave me a better price on my new bagger than I could find used so new was the way to go. My dirtbike was still $8000 for a 3yr old used one before tax whereas new current was $11k all-in so again I went new. Usually I stay in the 1-2yr old used (garage queen) market though.

Usually with street bikes I buy used and dirt bikes new. My reasoning is the dirt bikes need quite a bit of maintenance and I just don’t like dealing with other people’s headaches.

But my next street bike purchase may end up being new. The models I’m looking at the prices in the used market are just to close to new and there isn’t a lot of used supply out there to pick from.

I've never owned a new bike. I've always bought used bikes and all but the last one were private sales. I prefer to buy used and pay cash because I don't want to finance something that is not a necessity. I believe used bikes are the best value and I've had very good luck with each one purchased so far.

I've done both, but I find that used is better, DEPENDING on the type of bike you are buying. If you're after a supersport bike or a motocross bike then be VERY careful buying used. Those bikes are designed to be ridden hard and usually are, and many of them ridden by people who don't know how to or care to keep them properly maintained. On the other hand, there are a lot of gently used, well maintained touring, sport touring, standard bikes out there.

New. Because I know what I'm getting.

I rather treat myself with a new product then old POS even if it's a couple of years old. I don't like to seat on someone else's fart, sneeze and etc.

Since I'm into bikes that don't tend to get pushed to the limit I've always bought used. If I make a bad choice the depreciation isn't a killer. Cages tend to be new.

I encourage everyone to buy new, so I have a better selection when I buy used.

I keep saying that somewhere someone has my 2019 Goldwing and is riding her gently, keeping the mileage down and obsessing about maintenancing it and polishing it until I'm ready for it around 2029 or 2030!

At the beginning of motorcycling it's better to buy used cause you might decide that it isn't for you or even lay it down...
Once you get experienced though and really know what you want and can afford it then why not buy new?

Back
Top Bottom