Do you buy used or new? Why? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you buy used or new? Why?

Different Spokes TV

I’ve done both and both have their advantages, although these days I go with used. The new KTM 790 Adventure R tested my resolve on this point but in the end I just found that it made so much more sense to buy used:

Used, still plenty of life left, at a substantial savings. But I'm also gauging the seller as much as the bike. 3 motorcycles this way thus far.

Last edited:
1st bike was brand new! ..infact my 1st ever new vehicle...

2nd bike was used

Used. Every vehicle or toy I've ever bought, used.

I refuse to be that person who eats the typical 10-30% depreciation on any vehicle/toy the second you cross the curb at the dealership.

And when it comes to motorcycles, there's so many great deals out there on bikes that are barely used, I'm even more happy to let someone else eat that.

I’ve done both and enjoyed the experiences. My preference is used as I found better “value” and I could tell myself the chip in the paint I saw while washing it was there before me.

For some reason, I just feel I can ride it and not worry as much about keeping it look like brand new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

have bought 2 new bikes, rest used
with a bike, maintenance is everything
they can be rinsed clean with a garden hose

a car is different, they are lived in
a cage owned by a pig will forever be a POS
regardless if it's dealer maintained

All used. For a toy it's a lot of money to invest if buying new and losing the depreciation just by driving it off the lot. By buying used I don't lose that 30% up front and if I see a good deal on another used bike a few years down the road I can sell my current ride and not lose much. Have bought four used in the last 14 years and only lost minimal amounts on each bike.

Used.
My current bike cost the previous owner ~$15,000 when purchased new.
It was a 4 year old bike, spent 2 years in a showroom and 2 years on the road. It had 1,700kms on it.
I paid $6,500 for it.
I can not justify buying new when deals like this are to be found.

Bought both new and used, the only difference is if its a new bike and a new model, the guys will drool over it, but you wont notice the difference.

Bought one used and several new.

One new bike I bought, I rode it for a quarter-million kms. It became too expensive to maintain so I sold it to a mechanic who scrapped it for parts. I was the only owner for its entire life, which was a satisfying feeling.

Another new bike I had to sell after only four years. I took a bloodbath on resale because it was a "collectible" but I rode it like a daily driver. That was not a satisfying feeling.

In 50 years + of riding I just got my first new bike. Financing was the key and the low cost of the CB500x 2018.

The feature set was just not out there in used and Honda had $500 off on the then current 2018 ( originally $1000 off on a 2017 )
That's chunk on a $7k machine.

I tended to buy used and sometimes made good money on them or had very low cost of ownership ( capital cost ) over time.

Had this been available I would have jumped on it - good farkles ( tho I hate all top cases on the CB500x )

Sometimes you can get incredible deals on new last year models by luck. My son scored his 2013 FZ8 for $6990 on a truck load sale,
The model still sells for near that. Retail at the time was well over $10k ...Yamaha was introducing the ground breaking FZ9 triple and wanted the inline four stock gone.

End of model year where a substantially new model is being introduced oftem represents excellent value on new heavily discounted and the additional advantage of a fully mature model ( the fz9 had its birthing pangs while 2013 FZ8 had some years of refinement behind it )

I've bought both, as others I like seeing somebody else take the depreciation hit.
I'm really wanting an HRD if I can find one in my budget, but they don't come new.

Recently bought new ( at a fair discount) as bike was a new model for the manufacturer. A month later a used one ( 1 year old) came up and I was kicking myself for not waiting.

I can afford new and it is the biggest waste of money on discretionary purchases ( toys, etc) When I sold it as a 2 year old bike I took such a beating ( even selling privately) i wont do it again. European brands are the worst ....

BB

Last edited:
Used (with max 1 previous owner, recent model, low km). Same idea as @Katatonic indicated. My current bike cost the previous owner over 20k. I paid under 10k taxes in. 4 year old model, 3k km, pretty much brand new.

Coming back to the site, feel like you had a different icon, whats the bike in question?

New or Used. Depends on the Make and Model as well if I can find a used one in a condition I deem safe/fit.

The last 2 bikes I bought were new. The first 3 bikes before that were used. I was learning more on the used bikes, and didn't care about if they got damaged or beat up.

Once I sell my current bike, I will likely buy another new one to replace it.

I've only ever purchased used. IMO it's not worth paying full price for something I can't ride year round. Depending on previous owner savings can be huge. I got burned on my last used bike purchase and had to spend hundreds to make it safe to ride.

I got a good deal on my current bike and plan to keep if for a long time. Previous owner paid a little over $17,000 new. I bought it for $9,500 with 2,100km on it and 2 years old.

My car is new - leased. I drive it year round and don't mind paying full price for comfort of knowing it's 100% covered under warranty. I give it back when warranty is up for another new one.

Back
Top Bottom