Dishonest service at Sturgess Cycle | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dishonest service at Sturgess Cycle

Before I leave my vehicle for service I ask what the cost is going to be before taxes. Dealer responds and tells me they'll call if anything else comes up and they do, so no surprises. OP should have known what the cost was supposed to be for the basic service he was in for and then would have noticed the increase and dealt with it then IMO

Above aside, sounds like the exhaust residue should have been seen and cleaned up during the pre delivery inspection and if they messed up on that, then they should have cleaned it up at no charge vs. charging for it.

Anyway, this post will have burnt the relationship for both the OP and the dealer. Better start looking for a new place for your next service.

Before I leave my vehicle for service I ask what the cost is going to be before taxes. Dealer responds and tells me they'll call if anything else comes up and they do, so no surprises. OP should have known what the cost was supposed to be for the basic service he was in for and then would have noticed the increase and dealt with it then IMO

Above aside, sounds like the exhaust residue should have been seen and cleaned up during the pre delivery inspection and if they messed up on that, then they should have cleaned it up at no charge vs. charging for it.

Anyway, this post will have burnt the relationship for both the OP and the dealer. Better start looking for a new place for your next service.
Exactly. Sign a work order and only pay for work that was detailed on that document. Sounds like the error was for paying for something that was not on a work order.
If it wasn't authorized, it was a freebie.

and of course, the dealer would NEVER lie, right? or "omit the truth"

I was told over the phone all the electronic unlocking would be covered under the break in service(even made a post about it), double checked the price before I went in(its a long drive to apex cycle), and tada! got a $1400 bill in person after the 'break in service'.

It was a 22k european bike , I wasnt upset about the money, just dont like being lied to or misled.

But according to GTAM, the dealers are girl scouts selling cookies or some ****.

I've come to the conclusion that these places should be avoided if at all possible. Thank God I'm a techy. I have tried TWICE to get Burlington Cycle to do the factory recall on my bike's front brake switch, and I am not getting anywhere with them. Think I'm just gonna change the switch myself, as others have done. Takes 10 minutes.

Bad service is one thing, but how can an official dealership refuse to perform a safety recall?

I was told over the phone all the electronic unlocking would be covered under the break in service(even made a post about it), double checked the price before I went in(its a long drive to apex cycle), and tada! got a $1400 bill in person after the 'break in service'.

It was a 22k european bike , I wasnt upset about the money, just dont like being lied to or misled.

But according to GTAM, the dealers are girl scouts selling cookies or some ****.
What did $1400 cover? Was something unlocked that wasn't detailed as part of the original sale? Did you sign a detailed work order?

Ouch......lots of drama and emotion here......... Moderator, valium for all please :)

Yes, I suppose there are some dealers who would lie to your face, but I think they are, relatively speaking, few and far between. I also think (or hope) that in the age of social media that they'd be one of the dealers that have gone under in the last 5 - 10 years.

In this particular instance I think Sturgess has been around a long time and they have a pretty good reputation overall.

Ouch......lots of drama and emotion here
no drama, just pointing out the obvious based on some of the responses

seems some people are auditioning for detective Murdoch or something

IMO salespeople and politicians should always be treated with skepticism.

$900? They are full of ********.

View attachment 51436
Yowch! Am I reading this correctly, it cost $353 to get in and out with an oil change? What else needs doing on a brand new bike with 600km on the clock -- I expect the PDI to put the bike into perfect shape at pickup?

Call me next time, I do your BMW oil changes $250 tax included! And that includes all the beer you can drink while you wait.

Yowch! Am I reading this correctly, it cost $353 to get in and out with an oil change? What else needs doing on a brand new bike with 600km on the clock -- I expect the PDI to put the bike into perfect shape at pickup?

Call me next time, I do your BMW oil changes $250 tax included! And that includes all the beer you can drink while you wait.
It includes checking, tightening, adjusting and lubricating of basically everything. I’m fine paying for that.

286F9C26-9043-4E11-8B5C-16FE00F1765C.jpeg

That's usually my process.

I had to go in person to sign a work order on the cb500x (that was stolen and mangled and found back in july) but insurance takes care of whatever the outcome will be.

For any new service i always try to read whats on that work order and if i don't understand i ask away.
Even then they should notify if that wasn't on the original work order.

I've had issues on my volks, and that's how the garage operated, i wouldn't see a dealership being any different in how they should operate

It includes checking, tightening, adjusting and lubricating of basically everything. I’m fine paying for that.

View attachment 51484

I don't see anything on that list that couldn't be completed with 1 hour of labor. 2 tops if there's tupperware that needs to be removed to get some things like the rear master cylinder or whatever.

Anyhow, part of the issue here was OP willingly paying for stuff he didn't authorize at the time of pickup. It doesn't make it right after the fact, but if I authorized an oil change and then showed up and found hundreds or thousands of dollars of extra (potentially unnecessary, as was the case here ) of unauthorized work, well, I'd be having a discussion with the service manager in very short order. And if there was no resolution, it would get very heated in very short order. Tactful (I'm the last person to start throwing **** and such, but I'm the first person to make it quite clear you're not going to F'n bulldoze me), but heated.

Still no resolution? Fine, I'll pay it to get my bike out of your shop, but my objections will be noted on the work order beside my signature, and I'd be making it quite clear you'll be dealing with a lawsuit via small claims court which I'll be filing the second I get home - "Can I get your business card please so I have your name for the court documents and to let the process server who to ask for when he arrives to serve you?".

Usually the L words (Lawsuit, or Lawyer) gets a companies attention.

I'm not typically a litigious sort of person, but stuff like this burns my ass and would gleefully file a small claims case (as well as a Consumer Protection Act complaint, etc etc) in very short order. I'd spend more than the cost of the damn work just to make a point to them.

Wrong me in what should be an amicable business dealing by trying to take me for a ride to pad your pockets, and I'll F'n spite you.

And you won't ever need to lay out a dime, because I guarantee almost 100% of the time they suddenly come to an "understanding" and delete the charge before any of it becomes necessary (or you even walk out of the place) because they know they're afoul of the law and will lose and it'll just end up costing them a bunch of money to hire a lawyer to defend them. I speak from experience, I'll leave it at that.

I don't see anything on that list that couldn't be completed with 1 hour of labor. 2 tops if there's tupperware that needs to be removed to get some things like the rear master cylinder or whatever.
They charged me 1.6 hours.

Back
Top Bottom