Discuss... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Discuss...

Not disagreeing with the above, but the more interesting question is: why is it socially acceptable to negotiate for certain goods and services, but not others?

Why is it okay to negotiate for the price of an automobile, but not the repair/maintenance of it?
Not okay to negotiate the price of a stove, but okay to negotiate for the price of a house?
Okay to negotiate rent but not okay to haggle for the price of a meal?
Negotiating is okay to do with vendors of enterprise IT software or construction companies, but not with airline companies?
Okay to haggle for your mortgage rate, but not okay to negotiate the fees for your chequing account?

And more importantly, why are all these unwritten rules different in every continent and culture?

if you own a business and you act like this you are a fool. If you waste your time and your life being cheap you are a fool.
if you line up to save a cent or 2 on gas you are a fool. Fair pay for good work and service is what we should all expect. Take a lesson from all the airlines that have gone bust by people demanding cheaper and cheaper airfares.
When you die all the chiselling , negotiating and trying to save tiny bits of money here and there will not add up to any difference in your life. Will your last words before you die be “ I wish I got a better deal and more discounts”
if you can’t tell I hate cheap people ,I think they are just gross, most have never run a business and have no idea the costs and time involved.
my favourite expression is ” nothing cheap is good and nothing good is cheap”

1581299457804.png

Sorry @F3800RC , I posted that before I read that last line of your post.

why are all these unwritten rules different in every continent and culture

The same goes for tipping.
There are some countries/cultures where tipping is seen as offensive and not the norm as it is here.

I guess we can ask the same questions,
Why do we tip for some services and not for others?

if you own a business and you act like this you are a fool. If you waste your time and your life being cheap you are a fool.
if you line up to save a cent or 2 on gas you are a fool. Fair pay for good work and service is what we should all expect. Take a lesson from all the airlines that have gone bust by people demanding cheaper and cheaper airfares.
When you die all the chiselling , negotiating and trying to save tiny bits of money here and there will not add up to any difference in your life. Will your last words before you die be “ I wish I got a better deal and more discounts”
if you can’t tell I hate cheap people ,I think they are just gross, most have never run a business and have no idea the costs and time involved.

Good, fast, cheap - pick 2 'cause you ain't gettin' all 3.

Samesies.

I don’t haggle, I decide based on the price I’m quoted. I don’t see an issue with haggling. The merchant has the right to walk or compete.

As a small business owner I preferred customers who haggled over those that walked and bought elsewhere. Hagglers gave me the chance to compete.

So all you guys that disagree with negotiating happily pay full list for your vehicles?

I personally don't haggle a lot, but what's wrong with trying to save a few bucks? Haggle wherever you want. It's not about being cheap. It's about having more money available to do other things.

What I really love was the morons trying to haggle after I did the job.
I don't think haggling after the fact is fair unless the vendor did not provide a quote beforehand. Whenever I buy something I like to know the price up front, not after the work is done. My daughter just got a little singed by 'haggling' after. She had a LOF on her car last weekend at a shop that she has used for the last few years. They have always charged her $70 (late model Jetta) this time the kid running the counter charged her $130.

She pulled the last 3 invoices from her glovebox, they tried to haggle her to $110, she asked to speak with a manager and they went back to $70.

I'm not sure whether that was a post haggle or an attempt to cheat her.

I wouldn't consider haggling over the price of a steak dinner, but asking a couple of questions to save potentially big $$$ on car repairs, heck yes! Haggling is fine, just don't be a dick about it.

"GVH said:

What I really love was the morons trying to haggle after I did the job.

I don't think haggling after the fact is fair unless the vendor did not provide a quote beforehand. Whenever I buy something I like to know the price up front, not after the work is done. My daughter just got a little singed by 'haggling' after. She had a LOF on her car last weekend at a shop that she has used for the last few years. They have always charged her $70 (late model Jetta) this time the kid running the counter charged her $130.

She pulled the last 3 invoices from her glovebox, they tried to haggle her to $110, she asked to speak with a manager and they went back to $70.

I'm not sure whether that was a post haggle or an attempt to cheat her. "

That seems more like screwing up or just trying for a rip off. I mean that I have completely explained the price and they said OK. Then they ***** or try to haggle. Your shop may have out sourced to dealer that charges $100 + an hour and tried to make a profit on it.

Haggling is a cultural thing , some of the Caribbean Islands they are almost offended if you wont 'negoiate' with them . But buying nic nacks at a market stall and getting a root canal done are or should be different.
I'll ask for a better rate if something seems a bit much to me, but I think there is a time and place. Trying to deal after a project is complete? Yeah no. You authorized it , you pay for it.
I used to see this a LOT in a former business, "if you can do it for XXX , than you can do it for YYY" almost demanding a better price. It was largely a cultural thing and in their defence, you never made money faster than asking for a better deal. I had to tell a lot of people to just go away.

Haggling is a cultural thing , some of the Caribbean Islands they are almost offended if you wont 'negoiate' with them . But buying nic nacks at a market stall and getting a root canal done are or should be different.
I'll ask for a better rate if something seems a bit much to me, but I think there is a time and place. Trying to deal after a project is complete? Yeah no. You authorized it , you pay for it.
I used to see this a LOT in a former business, "if you can do it for XXX , than you can do it for YYY" almost demanding a better price. It was largely a cultural thing and in their defence, you never made money faster than asking for a better deal. I had to tell a lot of people to just go away.
I haggle on most thing all they can say is no. I also deal with it daily on the other side and if you say no it is not an issue most of the time.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

. . . Then I went home and did an oil change and grease job on my vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom