Dirtbike Advice | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dirtbike Advice

stnd

Site Supporter
This summer I'd like to try my hand with dirt bikes but I really don't know what kind of dirt bike to buy. Hoping someone here will find it easy to recommend something based on what I do know:

Height/Weight: 6'1" @ 220lb
Type of Riding: Mostly short trail rides, if I like that I could see myself going to an MX park.

Bike: Used. I'd like a 2 stroke, why? Cause I have never ridden one and would like to. 250cc due to my weight.
Budget: 2-3k
Maintenance: I don't really know what to expect here, I keep reading "Recently rebuilt top and bottom" in all the adds. I have no idea how much something like that costs, but seems to need to be done frequently.

Bikes I"ve seen on kijiji that fit the above: Honda CR250.

Any advice is appreciated, and if I need to clarify anything else I will.

You're on the right track. In that price range you can find a moderately new 250 2stroke (anywhere from 2000 up to 2006 or 07).
Rebuilds vary in price depending on what parts they replaced, if they did the work (very simple to do) or had a shop do it, and if they did things like re-sleve or plate the cylinder etc. It does need to be done fairly frequently. But once you've done it a couple times, you can do it in almost no time at all.

Brands... In the early 2000s, Suzuki was known for finally having some of the lightest quickest turning 2 strokes, but I've always been a fan of Yamaha reliability. However, you can't really go wrong with any modern brand.

2 strokes are awesome, keep the filter clean (after every day out make it part of the cleaning procedure) and keep the pre-mix right and have fun!
I'm a 4 stroke guy as I'm not intimidated by them mechanically, but one day I plan on picking up a 2 stroke for fun, they are what I learned to ride on.

Bikes I"ve seen on kijiji that fit the above: Honda CR250.

Kawasaki KX250
Suzuki RM250
Yamaha YZ250

Just a heads up that the bikes I listed are 2 stroke MX bikes just like the CR250... That gives u more options to search on kijiji if that's the kind of bike u want.

To learn on plus having a good low end you cant beat a KDX 200 or 220,there are a couple right now on kiiji.There is even a KDX 250 on kijiji and all these bikes are in your price range.These engines last forever because you dont have to rev them so high to make power.Some even come blue plated.

Thanks for the advice guys. I was initially all over the 250 mx and starting to really like the idea of a kawi kx250, but may have to consider the two strokes you mentioned. Are these expensive to insure for the year?

Waiting to get my account approved on that forum Xhumeka so I can maybe see the pictures of that Husqvarna. Although it is a bit out of my price range.

I found a lot of kx250s in my price range on kijiji and even for $2k which would leave me with a $1k for protective gear.

Thanks again.

If you want to get into trail riding why not get a trail bike? A full blown MX bike is loud, has no spark arrestor, is geared too high, and has too stiff suspension for trail use. I'm not saying you won't be able to ride it on the trails, but a woods bike will be better. Look for a Yamaha WR, or a KTM or Husky. If you want to try the Ontario trail ride series, they won't let you enter with a MX bike unless you add a silencer and spark arrestor.

sounds like a kdx220-300 sort of thing would fit his needs as well.

why not try a day with either of these guys: http://www.trailtour.com/ or http://cmts.org/ to get a feel for things before pulling the trigger on purchasing a bike?

I might just check this out. I have a guy I might be riding with telling me to get an mx bike for sure. But the more I look into it the more I think I should get a bike for the trails / forests. I could see myself going to a track once or twice.

I just bought a KDX 200 a few weeks ago,it's a great bike all around,a friend of mine has had one for twenty one years,and he still wont part with it! Insurance is under $200 a year for me.

I just bought a KDX 200 a few weeks ago,it's a great bike all around,a friend of mine has had one for twenty one years,and he still wont part with it! Insurance is under $200 a year for me.

Good for you,great engine.

For riding trails and single track stick with a 2stroke,plus much cheaper to rebuild if something lets go.

why not try a day with either of these guys: http://www.trailtour.com/ or http://cmts.org/ to get a feel for things before pulling the trigger on purchasing a bike?

i took the CMTS full day course last year, and had a blast. It was my first time on a dirt bike. I had considerable experience mountain biking and with a street motorcycle, so trail riding was a natural fit for me. Unfortunately I don't have access and time to go trail riding regularly, so I have decided to go to CMTS a few times a year and use their equipment. Trailtour also looks good, but I live west of the GTA so its not really an option.

I am looking as well, but my budget is around $1500....

I have a yamaha wr 250, its great on the trails but still holds its own on the track. I can still manage to keep up with the 2 strokes and it handles jumps with ease, plus you get the great reliability of a four stroke.

Back
Top Bottom