Decent Cat 3 Multimeter in the West end? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Decent Cat 3 Multimeter in the West end?

FiReSTaRT

Site Supporter
Does anyone know where I can pick one up without breaking the bank? Ideally clamp-on, but I can live without. Preferably where I can look up the make/model/price online. Speaking of which, wtf's the deal with Sayal and the rest of the industry?! Posting prices is NOT a sin, ye idiots!

I think it was Fluke that made an issue over them not only designing to a catagory but testing to it. They claimed that the others designed but didn't test. I'm not sure if that is still true.
I didn't think Sayal sold top line stuff but I only go there for oddities.
I just bought a new Fluke megohmeter on line, new old stock because I don't like the new ones.

The Flukes I looked at were a bit rich for my blood. I saw several CAT3 options even in clamp at Sayal, at least on their site, but with store availability as well. One of the models they carried I could price out to $140.. Meh, I'll swing by and take a look as I need good strippers (the ones I have are ok for home use but wouldn't last a week at work). Was too lazy to price out all of them.

You buy a Fluke - you will have it for the rest of your life. These things are bulletproof. I have had my Fluke multimeter for several years now. People at work use pretty much every type of meter made by Fluke, those meters sometimes get handled like crap and still work like a charm. It's one of those things for which you'd be paying twice if you were to buy an el cheapo meter first.

You buy a Fluke - you will have it for the rest of your life. These things are bulletproof. I have had my Fluke multimeter for several years now. People at work use pretty much every type of meter made by Fluke, those meters sometimes get handled like crap and still work like a charm. It's one of those things for which you'd be paying twice if you were to buy an el cheapo meter first.

Ideally, I'd dish out the cash for the 116/322 combo, but I also have to spend a lot of money on other stuff.. Was hoping to spend less now that I'm just learning the ropes (career change) and go with the Fluke combo right before I start needing it. That would also leave me with a spare usable for "God Forbid" and home use.

Fluke is a very good brand. Probably the best.

Steer clear of unknown brands.

However, here are some other names that "may" have better prices on them, and still have a good reputation for quality : Ideal, Greenlee, and now Klein just introduced a series of meters as well.

You can find most of these at any electrical supply house such as Nedco, Westburne, Torbram, Sesco.

GreenLee has one for $115. If you have any electrician friends that shop at these places, you can likely get a discount.

https://ontario.westburne.ca/freeTe...greenlee+meter&free.text.search.button=Search
https://ontario.westburne.ca/fluke/(6055367+4294966847+6044332)/Search.raction
https://ontario.westburne.ca/freeTe...xt=ideal+meter&free.text.search.button=Search

Last edited:
I need good strippers (the ones I have are ok for home use but wouldn't last a week at work). .

U bring strippers home and not pizz off the wifey?? :shock:

U bring strippers home and not pizz off the wifey?? :shock:

Depends on the type ;) But yikes, those guys had nothing I could use.. I'll have to call my old work and find out the make and model we've been getting from Electrosonic. Nice, compact (just keep them in the pocket), they "disappear" before they get dull.

By the way, Amprobe has a couple of models like ACD-14+ that seems to be getting good reviews and doesn't break the bank. Does anyone know of any distributors in the GTA that might have a good selection of their stuff?

What do you need in a meter besides cat 3 and a clamp?

What would you be working on?

I used a greenlee cm850, actually have a brand new one as backup.

Been great until a couple of days ago when i went to do a continuity test and it held at a solid beep. It was cold so i let it warm up in the truck and it work fine but i def. wasnt happy about that.

While you are at it, you might want to get one with DC clamp on amp meter. Most only have AC clamp on amp meter. It's nice to have it if you work on bikes.

As for strippers myself and most people I see use Klein. They work 10x better than sayal stuff. The same goes for their pliers.
11055_ICON.JPG[img]

While you are at it, you might want to get one with DC clamp on amp meter. Most only have AC clamp on amp meter. It's nice to have it if you work on bikes.

As for strippers myself and most people I see use Klein. They work 10x better than sayal stuff. The same goes for their pliers.
http://www.service.kleintools.com/Marketing/Catalog_Imagery/11055_ICON.JPG[img][/QUOTE]

+1

klein

strippers, pliers, side cutters.

I have my original set of the last 2, Ive blown up a couple pairs of strippers though.

What do you need in a meter besides cat 3 and a clamp?

What would you be working on?

I used a greenlee cm850, actually have a brand new one as backup.

Been great until a couple of days ago when i went to do a continuity test and it held at a solid beep. It was cold so i let it warm up in the truck and it work fine but i def. wasnt happy about that.

I'll need both AC and DC, voltage&current also microamps (to t/s flame sensors), resistance for sure and temp would be a bonus. If I could get all that and a bag of chips from a reputable manufacturer for under $150 new, I'll be a happy man. Otherwise, I'll just shell out the dough and get a DL-379. The only local source I found was asking $190+tax but I could have it within a day (time is a little tight).

Daught: I didn't see anything I could use and trust on a regular basis @ Sayal, so I took a pass. Electrosonic had strippers of the same type as on the pic you posted that held up against abuse in the field (bad weather, snow, mud, the works) working on steel wire (not that it would make a diff when used correctly lol), in the $20 range. Gonna see if my former supervisor can place an order for me. Fortunately, I already needed to be in the area as I went to PA, so Sayal was literally 1min out of my way.

Last edited:
+1

klein

strippers, pliers, side cutters.

I have my original set of the last 2, Ive blown up a couple pairs of strippers though.

I think every sparky has a collection of blown up strippers, screwdrivers, pliers and sidecutters.

Its a badge of honour. :)

+1 for the Klein stuff. But for strippers, you'll have to pry my Ideal strippers away from my cold dead fingers.

One good thing about my previous career.. No stripping of live wires.. Hell, most of them were never directly connected to a live power source.. Just picking up the currents from as far as 1km away.

The last time I went to Electrosonic they had moved from Gordon Baker to a new location. When I went to the new building I was told they only handle corporate accounts. No cash counter. Has that changed?

The last time I went to Electrosonic they had moved from Gordon Baker to a new location. When I went to the new building I was told they only handle corporate accounts. No cash counter. Has that changed?

No idea... Last time I shopped there was on a corporate account but I picked up the order at some counter (time was tight, we had to ship out the following day). I can either get my former employer to place an order for me and I can come to pick it up or I can just open an account myself. Probably not worth it for very occasional use.

No idea... Last time I shopped there was on a corporate account but I picked up the order at some counter (time was tight, we had to ship out the following day). I can either get my former employer to place an order for me and I can come to pick it up or I can just open an account myself. Probably not worth it for very occasional use.

I needed some 10 turn pots and ended up ordering from Digikey in the USA. Ordered by phone on Tuesday and was charged in Canadian dollars complete with HST and shipping. Parts arrived via post on Thursday for a quarter of the price. No brokerage fees or extra charges.

I needed some 10 turn pots and ended up ordering from Digikey in the USA. Ordered by phone on Tuesday and was charged in Canadian dollars complete with HST and shipping. Parts arrived via post on Thursday for a quarter of the price. No brokerage fees or extra charges.

Unfortunately, they don't have what I need. Looks like Frontier (a refrigeration supplier) might be able to order in a Fieldpiece (got my eye on a couple of models). Great rep, standard pricing and it's a modular platform, with great product support. As long as I can get it by Feb 22/23, I'll be a happy man. Otherwise, they'll still save me about 10% on a UEI.

Field piece instruments are good. This is the manometer I have been using for 8 years,works perfect. Look at Reed instruments also, they are very good quality. www.fieldpiece.com/manometers/sdmn5

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Field piece instruments are good. This is the manometer I have been using for 8 years,works perfect. Look at Reed instruments also, they are very good quality. www.fieldpiece.com/manometers/sdmn5

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Lol same price as ADMN2. Any reason why I should be getting one or the other? Don't need the manometer and won't need one for at least 6 weeks, so I could even e-bay one if the local distributors are way out of line (at least Frontier doesn't seem to be on crack so far). By the way, thanks to everyone who posted in here :)

Back
Top Bottom