Dealer's response | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dealer's response

Merkid

I was working with a dealer on a new purchase / trade-in deal.

He was complaining that his inventory was only half from previous years so was eager to take on trades so to make things easier and hopefully obtain a decent trade in value, I went and got the Safety done. I liked one of his floor models.

As it turned out, when the numbers came back he low-balled me on my bike. He was firm on it too.

My bike was certainly worth more than the floor model so I was expecting something in the order of $2K more off. I turned it down and mentioned that I can get more on a private sale and he acknowledged that too. I recently sold a bike privately and just didn't want to go thru the pain of dealing with the usual tire-kickers but it looks as though I will.

Anyway, here is his response :

" Understood, I rather thought you might think that and yes I am sure you will be able to get much more than what is offered. Your bike would have sold quickly in my hands,, my loss. Thant is the way used stuff is these days. "

What should I read into that ?

He was complaining that his inventory was only half from previous years so was eager to take on trades so to make things easier and hopefully obtain a decent trade in value, I went and got the Safety done. I liked one of his floor models.

As it turned out, when the numbers came back he low-balled me on my bike. He was firm on it too.

My bike was certainly worth more than the floor model so I was expecting something in the order of $2K more off. I turned it down and mentioned that I can get more on a private sale and he acknowledged that too. I recently sold a bike privately and just didn't want to go thru the pain of dealing with the usual tire-kickers but it looks as though I will.

" Understood, I rather thought you might think that and yes I am sure you will be able to get much more than what is offered. Your bike would have sold quickly in my hands,, my loss. Thant is the way used stuff is these days. "

He needs to make a profit on it so you get less not much else.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

Dealer is there to make profit. If he can't make a profit, why bother?

Also I would never get a safety for a trade-in...it's only valid for 36 days and the dealer has to safety it anyway when registering it. Zero value to them. Maybe to a private buyer sure...but a dealer, no.

Edit: sell your bike privately and then hope the one you want is still there for a price you want...OR...buy the bike you want and HOPE you get the sale price you want...that's the only real options I see, outside of just keeping your bike.

As others have said. The book value that the dealer will typically offer you will always be less than private sale.

The one thing I will say is that used vehicle prices have gone way up recently. Likely due to the lack of available new models. If they can ask for more $ for your trade in, they should also be bumping trade value accordingly. A buddy sold his bike to a dealer for what was a fair price imo, who turned around and put it up for $4K more than he paid for it. And he’ll likely get it. Crazy stuff.

Sent from my iPad using GTAMotorcycle.com

Is he the only dealer with the bike you want? Try a few places. Some may want your business more than others. When I traded my bike in at GP Bikes I got more or less what I paid for it in trade and GP told me they sold the bike the same day it arrived! It helped that I was buying a fully farkled new bike too.

When it comes to my daily driver car, I appreciate the convenience of the dealership making it so that I show up with trade in, transfer plates over and drive away. That to me is worth a lot of the loss in trade in value.

When it comes to toys like motorcycles or a second fun car, I'm willing to sell myself because I don't need the sale of old and purchase of new to happen simultaneously.

A few years ago I sold a fun second car. Took me about a week or two to sell it for 13k when the best trade in offer I got was 7k. Granted that was to a motorcycle dealership. I recently sold a motorcycle. GP offered 5-6k based on my email and pictures. I sold it for 9. Again it took about a week or two. The only reason it took as long as it did was a convenient pick up time (weather, daylight, both of our availability) for buyer added a few days.

As long as you price things appropriately, it'll move in a reasonable amount of time. In my opinion, sell it yourself. But I get it if you want to pay for someone else to do the work. As I'm getting older I surprise myself as to what I'm willing to pay other people to handle. Not because it's so much an unpleasant task but that the time is the issue.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

Time of year also has a big impact on how fast your motorcycle will sell.

No one is looking to buy a bike in November only to have to store it for 4-5 months.

My buddy listed his Africa Twin over the winter. 0 inquiries.

He relisted a couple of weeks ago, same price. Multiple inquiries, sold the next day without a test ride.

If you need your bike gone when there's snow on the ground, then the dealer will probably be your best bet.

Tires kickers are annoying to deal with but worth it financially.
I traded in my fz6 for like 800, 2 weeks later it was on sale for like 3800, do the math.

The margins are probably crazy on used bikes.

I didnt care because I didnt want to bother trying to sell it, and didnt like the bike much to begin with,
plus at the time I was a temporary member of the baller club.

What are the requirements to be a baller club member?
first you have to humble brag on gtam

second, every time someone posts about a situation even remotely similar to the one you were in, you have to tell others about it, along with a picture in zimbabwe/morocco/tibet/peru

third, you have to have money to burn.

second, every time someone posts about a situation even remotely similar to the one you were in, you have to tell others about it, along with a picture in zimbabwe/morocco/tibet/peru

I feel attacked…😢

Heyooo!

Ballin’ in Seychelles - Takamaka Rum Distillery

Year ago, in Montreal, I purchased a car from a guy who was using the proceeds to purchase a motorcycle from a dealer. We went to his dealer and, on paper, the dealer accepted the car from him and then sold/transferred the car to me for the same price. I paid the sales tax as I normally would and he got the trade in value deducted from the sales tax he owed on the new bike. Dealer referred to this as an "accommodation sale". Probably wouldn't work today because of required safety, liability etc.... No real value to me, but saved the seller a few bucks in sales tax.

Year ago, in Montreal, I purchased a car from a guy who was using the proceeds to purchase a motorcycle from a dealer. We went to his dealer and, on paper, the dealer accepted the car from him and then sold/transferred the car to me for the same price. I paid the sales tax as I normally would and he got the trade in value deducted from the sales tax he owed on the new bike. Dealer referred to this as an "accommodation sale". Probably wouldn't work today because of required safety, liability etc.... No real value to me, but saved the seller a few bucks in sales tax.
I've done a multi-dealer trade before. I had a K75 and was buying an Aprilia. Aprilia dealer didn't want the BMW but told me if I could find another dealer that wanted it, we could wash it through as a trade-in. Traded the BMW in to dealership in Burlington, picked up Aprilia at dealership in KW. Paperwork as expected. Weird but it worked for me. As with all of my bike trades, the old bike covered the tax on the new bike.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom