Custom Rotors | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Custom Rotors

While they're for a harley apparently they do exist. ....
a5ujejer.jpg

They're not the same as slotted as on a car but I wouldn't call them drilled either

Last edited:
Yea, #3 for sure...

Your Duc looks PIMP! those wheels! looked awesome on Sunday!

While they're for a harley apparently they do exist. ....
a5ujejer.jpg

They're not the same as slotted as on a car but I wouldn't call them drilled either

Slotted .... look at the darkened areas in his original design going directly across already a through cut-out area ..... the rotor you posted has no such thing.

early 90's GSXR's had slotted rotrs, OEM. I have some in my basement.
15911-123_brkrotorFR-1.jpg

I don't see any such slots, plus it has an outer solid piece of metal. There seems to be few tiny sliver slots maybe, but nothing to the extent of OP's design?

Finally finished on the design concepts for the full floating rear rotor...
Started with this...
etepajeq.jpg

Then the different designs...
ga8y5e9y.jpg

gaga6asy.jpg

e5ybygun.jpg

So I had it tweaked a bit & this will be my rear rotor...
ajasy8yz.jpg

I take it you've never heard of slotted rotors?

Of course ... but it is a different situation (and one with its own set of stress-concentration issues).

If you have a brake rotor with through holes or slots, the brake pad still sweeps the entire surface. Apply the brake hard, and (at least as a first-order approximation) the whole braking surface raises in temperature uniformly. Where there is a hole, there is no material to thermally lag behind - there's no heat generated but there's also no material present, so it all changes temperature (more or less) uniformly.

If you have a brake rotor with partial reliefs in the pad-swept area, that material is there (and represents thermal inertia) but it is not swept by the brake pad, so it won't immediately see the temperature rise from a hard brake application. The material that is there but not swept by the pad, will lag behind in temperature. So the material that is swept by the pad raises in temperature and tries to expand while the material that is not swept by the pad lags behind in temperature. This introduces thermal stresses in the material, not to mention the cut-down area is now thinner so the forces are imposed on a smaller area, i.e. raising unit stresses.

And obviously there are brake rotors out there, mostly for automotive applications, that have partially slotted surfaces, and there are the occasional OEM motorcycle brake rotors on older models with that feature. BUT. Those slots are much shallower relative to the (typically much thicker) thickness of the rotor, much narrower, and much smaller in number than what is being proposed here.

I am not saying the proposed brake rotors are going to fail. All I am saying is "be careful". Changing design features of a safety-related system has to be approached with considerable caution.

Those grooves within the slot look like a weak spot to me. I foresee a tear in the metal at this point.

I have a question? How much slots or grooves do you introduce to the rotor before it start having an adverse effect. Because certainly you're decrease the surface area to the pad

It is a rear rotor on a sport bike not like it is anything that is going to get used. The rear brake on my 1198 was a decorative piece only it would work for about an hour after bleeding then be completely useless.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It is a rear rotor on a sport bike not like it is anything that is going to get used. The rear brake on my 1198 was a decorative piece only it would work for about an hour after bleeding then be completely useless.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Read the beginning of the thread, did the same thing to the front rotors. I think it looks cool, but doubt I would do it for two reasons:
1) I'm not sure I'm up to the task of re-engineering, I've met some very smart engineers.
2) I don't have money to burn, my kids see to that. I'm lucky to have rotors at all.
I once got to experience a broken brake rotor on the 401, right front tire locked solid at 120km/h. Pretty scary, and that was in a cage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotors act as a friction area and heat sink. By removing too much material you may be compromising both functions.
I don't believe that modern brake pads out gas like they used to. So the need for slots/holes is greatly reduced.
The concept of the slots and grooves crossing each other is bad news for stress.
Most high performance rotors that are drilled have a nice chamfer/radius to reduce stress. Very hard to do with a slot type holes. If your set on grooving the rotors I'd put a generous rad. (could be expensive if it's not a standard cutter). in the grooves to help with the stress.
Very hard to say if your concept will improve anything performance wise. Only testing will tell. But there is a very good chance it will have the opposite effect. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom