Crankcase CRACKED open while backing out!!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Crankcase CRACKED open while backing out!!!

bboySushi

So I rode for about 60km on Saturday, no troubles at all, nothing weird with the bike, no overheating or oil leaks.

After parking for an hour I went out to back the bike out. There was quite some resistance backing out but I thought it was uphill. I'm not a huge guy but as I pulled it back I heard a huge CRACK sound adn the clutch went limp (the bike was OFF).

I stop and look at the bike and there's a HUGE crack going down the middle of the crankcase (See pic below). I brought it to Cycleworld for them to look at, but I just wanted any opinions on what it may be. Tranny related? I don't see how the force of me wheeling the bike back could crack it open, but I don't think it was cracked before or else I would have seen some oil. ZERO presence of oil leakage, checked the sight glass there is oil in the bike.

Any thoughts???

2015-04-18%2010.59.17_zpsfhqseupq.jpg

I see 8mm bolts. Is that the crankcase, or just a cover? One of those will not have you weeping into your pillow.

That is a mighty impressive sight though. I bet there is/was something loose in there and it is/was binding something. Given the clutch pushrod is right there, it's probably involved

What year and model is the bike?

You're right Riceburner, at least that's what it's called on the fiche... it's a K7 GSX-R600. I retract my statement about the pushrod

That looks like the clutch cover to me.

Shift linkage next to a clutch cover?

Remove the sprocket cover and see what you can find. I'll bet you $1 something got in there and wedged itself between the chain and the cover, when you moved the bike it jammed against the cover and cracked it.

Should be an easy (and inexpensive) fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015-04-18%2010.59.17_zps2iusmddt.jpg

So that is the front sprocket cover for a 06+ gsxr. The crack in the case might be as caboose56 said it - might be front something wedget between the chain and case cover (but I"VE never seen that ever happen). But i've seen front sprocket's come out and damage cases (hope it's not that)

Usually the chain does not carry large debris forward, only dirt and grime.

What I suspect is - there might be a crack in the case - and it just showed its ugly face when you went to move it, or maybe the front spocket is loose and jammed.

Where the RED CIRCLE is - that's your clutch push rod, it pushes the linkage rod that twists and pushes against the case to release the clutch. There is a fair bit of force here. The crack is right beside this casting area - pretty high stress area.

Where the WHITE STAR is - just left of that is the centre of the front sprocket - make sure the pick up sensor between the CIRCLE & STAR is not damaged. The pick up looks the picture below - but it has 4 tabs - thats from my old gsxr with a broken tab...maybe that tab is broken and jammed up against the case.
url
3078943840_6f0231617e.jpg

In Any Event - not a big deal at all ! You will just need a new cover, and swap the parts over. Simple fix. There ia seal behind the clutch push rod, just clean and lube that rod up.

Thanks guys that was really helpful. Now I'm regretting bringing it to the shop but I was afraid it'd be something bigger. Thanks for the marked up picturesthat was a big help!

I think Caboose has it dead right, because it made the cracking noise when it was being moved. It could also be that there was a casting flaw in the case and the force required to engage the clutch finally stressed the crack enough. Crappy either way but it likely won't be that expensive. If it wasn an 07/08 GSX-R 1000 I sadly have a replacement for it...

Last edited:
Do you think it's worth it to just get a woodcraft cover on it? The OEM he quoted me $300...damn expensive.

I see in the parts fiche that there is a pin between cover and case. I assume that's the usual dowel alignment pin. If it was left out at last service maybe that allowed the to not sit correctly.

I don't think the Woodcraft case is what you expect. It's likely just a case COVER. But as I've not looked deeper into it, I don't know. $300 doesn't seem expensive compared to the cost of putting a new motor into my 1000 last year, lol

I don't think they make a front sprocket cover , when that bike gets crashed on it's left - it would be the stator n starter that would get mangled

I don't think they make a front sprocket cover , when that bike gets crashed on it's left - it would be the stator n starter that would get mangled

Your right they dont make sprocket covers, usually only stator covers and starter idler covers

Id take a close look at how the cover was mounted and the operation of the clutch. Its strange for that cover to crack like that if everything was operating properly with the clutch pressure plate push rod

That and the front sprocket, Ive seen the speedo pick up back off the output shaft, causing it to rub on the inside of the cover but never crack it like yours

Last edited:
Johnny, just about right.

So when I installed my front sprocket a year or two ago I guess I must not have put loctite or not enough loctite on the screw that goes through the middle of the sprocket so it was coming out. I suppose for whatever reason whenever I backed the bike out it was unscrewing it out more and pushing on the inside of the cover and eventually cracked it. The cover was much flimsier than I imagined (compared to the stator cover).

Let this be a lesson! Always be sure which bolts you need to loctite when you're doing repairs/replacements!

Back
Top Bottom