COVID vaccine ‘passport’ | GTAMotorcycle.com

COVID vaccine ‘passport’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katatonic

Site Supporter
*** To be clear, I am not an anti-vaxer (or whatever they’re called now) and I plan on getting the COVID vaccine when I can. My questions are legit questions. If you know the answers, please let me know. Maybe I’m just missing something here? ***

The Canadian government is in talks with other governments about how to implement a COVID vaccine passport and how that would work. Basically, if you want to travel internationally or possibly even attend a large gathering, such as the Spring Motorcycle Show, you will need to show proof that you have been vaccinated.
My issue with this is:
The COVID vaccine does not mean you can’t get Covid, it means that if you do get it your symptoms will be less severe and there is a much greater chance that you will not require hospitalization.
The COVID vaccine does not mean that you can’t transmit Covid. You can still be a carrier and pass Covid along to anyone else, vaccinated or not.
The Covid vaccine only offers a level of protection to you and only you.
So why the need to prove that you are vaccinated before traveling? Everyone around me will still have the exact same chance of getting Covid regardless of if I’m vaccinated or not.

*** To be clear, I am not an anti-vaxer (or whatever they’re called now) and I plan on getting the COVID vaccine when I can. My questions are legit questions. If you know the answers, please let me know. Maybe I’m just missing something here? ***

The Canadian government is in talks with other governments about how to implement a COVID vaccine passport and how that would work. Basically, if you want to travel internationally or possibly even attend a large gathering, such as the Spring Motorcycle Show, you will need to show proof that you have been vaccinated.
My issue with this is:
The COVID vaccine does not mean you can’t get Covid, it means that if you do get it your symptoms will be less severe and there is a much greater chance that you will not require hospitalization.
The COVID vaccine does not mean that you can’t transmit Covid. You can still be a carrier and pass Covid along to anyone else, vaccinated or not.
So why the need to prove that you are vaccinated before traveling? Everyone around me will still have the exact same chance of getting Covid regardless of if I’m vaccinated or not.
Doesn’t it boost resistance as well?

I've had both Pfizer doses as that's exactly what Public Health told me. The vaccine does not prevent someone catching or spreading COVID but can help to reduce its impact. I'm still required to wear a mask.

Reducing impact is the key. Getting the vaccine is realistically the best way of controlling the spread and impact of the virus on healthcare systems. If you travel to a foreign country you are less likely to clutter up their healthcare system if you’ve been vaccinated. I’ve already contacted my local healthcare authority office about this. I want a passport. I want to know that the people I sit on an aircraft with are relatively responsible people who care about their own and everyone else's health and I want to minimize the chances that I’ll end up in a foreign hospital.

Doesn’t it boost resistance as well?

Yes - for you. You can be a carrier the same as if you weren’t vaccinated.

Reducing impact is the key. Getting the vaccine is realistically the best way of controlling the spread and impact of the virus on healthcare systems. If you travel to a foreign country you are less likely to clutter up their healthcare system if you’ve been vaccinated. I’ve already contacted my local healthcare authority office about this. I want a passport. I want to know that the people I sit on an aircraft with are relatively responsible people who care about their own and everyone else's health and I want to minimize the chances that I’ll end up in a foreign hospital.

“Getting the vaccine is realistically the best way of controlling the spread”
The vaccine does absolutely nothing to control the spread.

“If you travel to a foreign country you are less likely to clutter up their healthcare system if you’ve been vaccinated.”
I hadn’t thought about this. Good point.

Yes - for you. You can be a carrier the same as if you weren’t vaccinated.

“If you travel to a foreign country you are less likely to clutter up their healthcare system if you’ve been vaccinated.”
I hadn’t thought about this. Good point.

Actually it does over time .....if the virus can’t replicate and increase in number in a host eventually it dies out to a degree where it isn’t as big an issue....see polio.

If it means life moves back toward a new normal, sign me up and give me the damn shots.

There’s obvious concerns about privacy but last checked certain countries won’t let you in without a vaccination history anyway.

For travel it could be linked to your passport. Locally it could include a scan of the driver license or ID card or even Health Card.

If they make it a separate document, then there will be fakes floating around. Already are with regards to covid tests for travellers.

As for the vaccine protecting you but not effecting the spread, not enough information yet. All initial studies focus on protecting you (eg. less symptoms), once they get something that protects you, they investigate whether it effects transmission. They are working on that now. One of the vaccines showed promise for reducing transmission but the study was quite small so that may or may not hold up.

Even if the vaccine only ends up protecting you, the "passport" protects the healthcare system of the destination country (or your own country if you are going to the motorcycle show). If you want to do higher risk activities, you need to take more steps to protect yourself so the healthcare system is not hammered.

As for the vaccine protecting you but not effecting the spread, not enough information yet. All initial studies focus on protecting you (eg. less symptoms), once they get something that protects you, they investigate whether it effects transmission. They are working on that now. One of the vaccines showed promise for reducing transmission but the study was quite small so that may or may not hold up.

Even if the vaccine only ends up protecting you, the "passport" protects the healthcare system of the destination country (or your own country if you are going to the motorcycle show). If you want to do higher risk activities, you need to take more steps to protect yourself so the healthcare system is not hammered.

Your point of protecting a healthcare system, ours or another countries, was brought up earlier and is a great point that I overlooked.

I wonder what the travel insurance will have to say regarding this.

‘Oh you didn’t get your C19 vaccine? Sorry no coverage for you’

What? lol

I read last week that back in September Tiffin motor home receive 400 covid testing units from a Canadian company

Wasn’t there a problem with shortage of test for Canadians back then?

Unknown. Maybe, maybe not. Studies not yet complete.

You’re right, I should have added the caveat of “according to studies done thus far...”
I did, however, read an interesting article that said even if the transmission rate is theoretically the same, since the vaccine lessens symptoms the infected person will be coughing/sneezing less and therefore not spreading the virus as much.
So based on that.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom