COVID tests(for the science dudes) | GTAMotorcycle.com

COVID tests(for the science dudes)

bigpoppa

We've heard of the benchmark doug and others have set, of wanting to do tens of thousands of tests daily, but I imagine its not as simple as hammering a nail in,
how hard is it to test for that many people? Do we even have that many labs in ontario? How careful do the technicians/white lab coat bro's have to be when testing?

Has a standard way of testing been developed? I imagine its not as simple as pregnancy test where you just piss on a piece of plastic

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the sheer scale and the complexity of an undertaking like this...

How much room for mistakes/error is there? I imagine its probably very easy for the testers/technicians to get infected with the test samples if they're not careful?

I can't answer all of your questions, some of them I am reasonably sure I can answer competently.

Ontario has tested up to 18,000 in a day so we obviously have that capacity. Whether that is sustainable or just a burst, I have no idea.

The lab tech is safer than the person collecting the sample. It's the droplets in the air and physical contact that transmit this easily. The lab only has a cotton swab to deal with. That's why the collection staff are all dressed up in full PPE (suits, masks, visors, gloves,etc).

Afaik, the tests still require you to be poked in the brain (not exactly but a cotton swab is jammed deep into your sinuses). That swab then gets analyzed in a lab. I think they are all doing PCR to replicate the virus and then looking for it's signature but details past that are well beyond my knowledge-base.

I haven't heard anything more from the Ottawa guy that had JT rushing to buy hundreds of thousands of his rapid test machines that were found to have dodgy results after they started shipping the first batch.

Papaya, goat and engine oil tested positive. The President of Tanzania had the swabs sent out.

The guy formerly known as Mladin.

Lot of layers in this onion, some municipalities only testing if you've been exposed, have symptoms. Some are walk in clinic, others by appointment only. Lazy staff is probably number one, they just march to thier own drummers in some places
And tests not administered correctly, many people tested negative because the test want done properly, swab not pushed all they way back through the sinuses.
they could test lots more pre day, the labs work "quota mentality"

Papaya, goat and engine oil tested positive. The President of Tanzania had the swabs sent out.

The guy formerly known as Mladin.

You know you should at least put a smiley face emoji in the post so that we know you actually don't believe this reality presented by acting characters.

Testing is great if there is a treatment.
OK now we know who has it, so what's the treatment.
... oh nothing, we are going to isolate that person, make them comfortable as possible and see if they improve or die.
Did I miss anything? :unsure:

New Zealand is down to one case, a youngster being cared for at home. It will be interesting to see how things change when the borders re-open.

Testing is great if there is a treatment.
OK now we know who has it, so what's the treatment.
... oh nothing, we are going to isolate that person, make them comfortable as possible and see if they improve or die.
Did I miss anything? :unsure:

Yes. You missed the point where most people who get infected recover on their own, but by knowing they are positive and now strictly self isolate, they avoid spreading their infection. Since infections like this spread exponentially (1 person infects another, who then infects another, then those 3 infect 6, then those 6 infect 12, etc etc etc) eventually the infection reaches someone who IS in a high risk group and dies from it.

Testing and isolation is about breaking the chain, not just solely so we can rush everyone into the hospital, unnecessarily for most people.

No @PrivatePilot get better on your own is Exactly what I said unless you deliberately read it upside down and backwards.

New Zealand is down to one case, a youngster being cared for at home. It will be interesting to see how things change when the borders re-open.
They only reported a loss of about 22 people to date,
if you were New Zealand would you open up to people traveling from the infected world right now?
20% of their export goes to China :| lots of milk and cheese products, have you ever seen cheese in Chinese food?

No @PrivatePilot get better on your own is Exactly what I said unless you deliberately read it upside down and backwards.

They only reported a loss of about 22 people to date,
if you were New Zealand would you open up to people traveling from the infected world right now?
20% of their export goes to China :| lots of milk and cheese products, have you ever seen cheese in Chinese food?

Dairy isn't big for a lot of Chinese and they can be lactose intolerant. Still a few percent of a billion......

I have family there and quarantines make travel suck when you have to spend the first two weeks in a hotel room. Then possibly a quarantine when you get back because you were in a flying coughin.

New Zealand is a pretty lucky country, their major export is food so they won't starve to death, the countries that you need to worry about are the ones that are full of people, have no food and export almost nothing.
Numbers are low in some of those countries now only because there is no testing and people are just dying same as usual.

Are they planning on opening? I wish we could all have her as supreme leader. She seems smart, caring and gets things done. If they open borders, I suspect she will have rock solid quarantine in place (probably govt organized hotel with security as in oz).

Uh, no. Your post alluded to the fact that just because there's no treatment that testing is somehow a waste because people will just "live or die" either way.

You should reword it if you want others to read it as anything less than dismissive.

suspect she will have rock solid quarantine in place (probably govt organized hotel with security as in oz).

This is the only thing that will be effective considering what we've all seen in the last few months with the conspiracy theory and "It's just the flu, **** off" crowd who seem to think that this is all some big joke.

Meanwhile they go to the grocery store immediately upon arrival, hack and cough everywhere, and unknowingly infect a little old lady who takes it home to the retirement centre...and then we know what happens from there.

The stupid roam amongst us.

Uh, no. Your post alluded to the fact that just because there's no treatment that testing is somehow a waste because people will just "live or die" either way.

You should reword it if you want others to read it as anything less than dismissive.
Ok then how about, the time for swab testing the non-symptomatic to be effective has passed for some populations for now but it will return again and again, maybe focus on blood testing for a while and use the swab testing where people are symptomatic until that happens. A treatment would be wonderful but for now your own health and hygiene efforts appear to be your only defence and the more you are subjected to the stuff knowingly or otherwise the more likely it is to set up host inside you somehow. And I don't dismiss any possibility or affirmative action to get rid of the stuff, short of genocide, that would be a totally unacceptable solution imho.

Blood testing vs swab testing why?

Blood tests only prove antibodies, IE, you've had Covid at some point in the past. The swab test is a far easier and less invasive method of testing for current infection.

Blood testing vs swab testing why?

Blood tests only prove antibodies, IE, you've had Covid at some point in the past. The swab test is a far easier and less invasive method of testing for current infection.
Because if you test the sinus or throat you are looking for it oozing up out of your lungs
and then you are taking that tiny sample and trying to replicate or amplify some part of it enough to say hey ya, sure looks like the right stuff!
if you test the blood you see everything that is floating around inside your whole body :|
and then you are taking that tiny sample and trying to replicate or amplify some part of it enough to say hey ya, sure looks like the right stuff or you are maybe even looking directly for it with an electron microscope technology, wouldn't that be cool, let's hope it happens.

I got tested at North York General on Wednesday, had result on Friday. No symptoms, just got tested for the sake of being tested.

Walked in, no appointment, test was done quickly. Took about an hour from start to finish. 55 minutes of that was going through the intake process. Intake is same as any other medical concern, they could really do well to streamline that for people seeking Covid tests.

Wife got tested in Orangeville came back negative swab was not deep at all and the person giving the test even said don't worry I don't go too deep. Only reason we went there was drive through seems stupid to go into a building to get it if you don't have it already. Possibly a false negative but she is feeling fine now after losing taste and smell filled by extreme fatigue.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

And there is half the problem, the people doing the tests in many places are not doing it correctly, if it doesn't make it through the sinus and you dont feel it in the back of your throat, you did not get the correct test according to the lab tech lady on a zoom call i was on last evening. LOTS of false negatives.

Back
Top Bottom