COVID and the housing market | Page 34 | GTAMotorcycle.com

COVID and the housing market

I once dated a chick who was like 22 years older than me(I was very young)
who then also tried to set me up with her daughter (they were from florida as you can guess)

strangely enough, the mom was better looking than her daughter

But even then, being step dad/best friends with the guy who's mom your ******* is cray

#edit @Lightcycle this thread takin off, and you missing out bro

20 year difference .. Ew // someone likes them young :|
Love is love man. To each their own right.

I always tell my wife....if you want to cheat on me or leave me find the oldest, sickest, and richest dude you can find. I’ll do the same.

wait for em to croak, take the inheritance....profit!

I always tell my wife....if you want to cheat on me or leave me find the oldest, sickest, and richest dude you can find. I’ll do the same.

Why break up? Convert them to poly, profit from that income and get on the multi-generation mortgage :D

You're going to find the oldest, sickest richest dude you can? That's real commitment to the net worth game.

I once dated a chick who was like 22 years older than me(I was very young)
who then also tried to set me up with her daughter (they were from florida as you can guess)

strangely enough, the mom was better looking than her daughter

But even then, being step dad/best friends with the guy who's mom your ******* is cray

#edit @Lightcycle this thread takin off, and you missing out bro
Lucky you....

My wifes last job had her driving 60K km a year for work. She didn't want to drive standard so instead of my diesel she drove a gas-guzzling suv. Her car expenses for the year were ~$20K. Thankfully she got mileage to roughly offset that number. I wasn't keeping track monthly or I probably would have had her buy a new car to save on fuel.

I had a job where the company mileage paid for the car, gas and insurance over a couple of years. It was a beater VW. I'm mechanical but my wife isn't. If we did long distance commutes at least she would have to drive a fairly new car. High mileage cars get poor sales prices. A $40 K car is worthless in 10 years even if the mileage isn't too bad. That's $ 4 K a year in depreciation

I strive for $600 per month on average per car when we actually use them to commute etc, COVID numbers are lower as we are not driving (all in, gas, parking, maint, payments, ins, deprecation, everything.....) and that takes some work to hit and not drive a total POS. It is also after tax, so call it $1000 income per month before tax, depending on bracket.

Family with two cars, 1200 per month after tax (14.4K per year), or 24K of before tax income! Fancy SUV or minivan, bump it up....

Many will argue it does not cost that much until they record everything and add everything up and find out they actually spend way more.

Motorcycles are obviously completely exempt from such mathematical nonsense.
So how much mortgage could you carry if you put the money into a house instead of cars?

When my wife retired we went to one car from three, one being a work van. We figured the insurance savings alone would pay for cabs, pubic transit and the occasional rental. In reality we just stopped taking multiple vehicles for granted and did some coordinating.

We got Presto Cards but haven't used them lately due to Covid. Nowhere to go, nothing to do when you get there and sharing air with unknowns.

Covid restrictions have us down to a fill-up a month. An EV would work except for the up front cost vs gas savings payback.

It only makes sense if they fit into one of three options IMO:

1) Retiring/Retired and they do not need to work in the city.
2) Have a very portable career/trade and they can find another good job in the new location or something like FIFO.
3) They just have a non-skilled McJob (not a career/trade) where they can just work wherever/whatever.

Anyone with a career and/or trade that is specialized enough that the jobs are mostly in the city is shooting themselves in the foot as their current WFH may (will) not last forever for many reasons, pretty much all out of their control.

If you live in Oshawa you probably don't work at GM any more.

Peterborough ditto Westinghouse

King / Strachen Ave ditto Massey Ferguson

Hamilton ditto P&G or Stelco

Port credit ditto St Lawrence Starch or Texaco refinery

Leamington ditto Heinz

Barrie ditto DeVilbis or General Tire. Molson's went to pot.

Mimico ditto Goodyear

Work from home? It used to be walk to work.

If a major employer shuts down in a small town the real estate tanks. I knew someone who retired to Kincardine but had to move to London for health reasons. It happened as Hydro was shutting down a unit and subsidizing the sale prices of employee homes if they were terminated. He wasn't an employee and lost his shirt.

I wouldn't be too smug about owning a part of TO either. Covid has severely impacted the condo market. I avoid "Always" and "Never" in forecasts.

If you live in Oshawa you probably don't work at GM any more.

Peterborough ditto Westinghouse

King / Strachen Ave ditto Massey Ferguson

Hamilton ditto P&G or Stelco

Port credit ditto St Lawrence Starch or Texaco refinery

Leamington ditto Heinz

Barrie ditto DeVilbis or General Tire. Molson's went to pot.

Mimico ditto Goodyear

Work from home? It used to be walk to work.

If a major employer shuts down in a small town the real estate tanks. I knew someone who retired to Kincardine but had to move to London for health reasons. It happened as Hydro was shutting down a unit and subsidizing the sale prices of employee homes if they were terminated. He wasn't an employee and lost his shirt.

I wouldn't be too smug about owning a part of TO either. Covid has severely impacted the condo market. I avoid "Always" and "Never" in forecasts.
Correct me if im wrong but
I feel like canada doesnt make anything or do anything(anymore)
we were a natural resource economy, but evidently any kind of industry produces carbon so now we're just a real estate hustle/immigration/money laundering hub

The vaccine hiccups just illustrates this

Last edited:
Correct me if im wrong but
I feel like canada doesnt make anything or do anything(anymore)
we were a natural resource economy, but evidently any kind of industry produces carbon so now we're just a real estate hustle/immigration/money laundering hub

The vaccine hiccups just illustrates this

They are out there but the barrier of entry is kinda high unless you are OK with 20/hr general labour.

Guelph has the massive Linamar Corp
Cambridge and Paris has Tigercat International
KW has ultra mfg, teledyne dalsa etc

But good luck new grads

So how much mortgage could you carry if you put the money into a house instead of cars?

When my wife retired we went to one car from three, one being a work van. We figured the insurance savings alone would pay for cabs, pubic transit and the occasional rental. In reality we just stopped taking multiple vehicles for granted and did some coordinating.

We got Presto Cards but haven't used them lately due to Covid. Nowhere to go, nothing to do when you get there and sharing air with unknowns.

Covid restrictions have us down to a fill-up a month. An EV would work except for the up front cost vs gas savings payback.
About 280K at today's 5 year fixed rates. But it is not totally fair as then you have transit costs so lets call it 200K but then again many (most) pay way more than $600 per month per vehicle (again average over life of vehicle..... some months/years will be lower some much higher), they just don't know it.

As an example I owned my 94 Jeep YJ for about 10 years from new, I hit damn near exactly $600/month keeping good records average after factoring in selling price on that one. Let's look at it another way, I drove a Jeep YJ for 10 years and it cost me $70K of after tax income! Good luck driving a similar vehicle today for that money....

After I sold it I went 4 (maybe 5) with no car (lived and worked DT) but I did have my motorcycle... it was liberating. If we could we would go without or at least drop to one but we both need the cars to get to work (after COVID of course). We are doing one and the other is sitting with just comp right now, the bank account notices even that...

They are out there but the barrier of entry is kinda high unless you are OK with 20/hr general labour.

But good luck new grads
Business in Deseronto is doing smoking good over the last couple of years.

But good luck new grads
Alliston has Honda and Baxtor. For all the doom and gloom of losing manufacturing jobs over the last 20 years, things still keep chugging along. Bad for those who leave high school and just want to get a job. For the most part those days are gone.

You think that's bad? A semi in Kitchener was listed for 500k and sold for 800k... unbelievable!
Your talking about the one in the article posted a few pages back right? I’m bored and got curious so I searched the realtor name and had the house number from the picture in the article to find the old listing.

So it’s the 3rd semi to sell on that street since December. $620 December, $675 January, $801 6 days ago.

The most recent sale looks to have the most updates. Also 4 bathrooms (the comparables were 2 and 3 bath) 2 of which look to be built as accessible bathrooms. This might of had big appeal to potential buyers.

I’m not trying to justify the price. I wouldn’t pay $800 for a semi in Kitchener but the article is misleading, it makes it sound like the place sold $300 over its value and leaves out key details.

Back
Top Bottom