COVID and the housing market | Page 252 | GTAMotorcycle.com

COVID and the housing market

Some real estate blogs are telling of houses going for $200 K under list instead of the $200 over we had become used to. Obviously some sellers will be more desperate than others. All I'm betting on is dark by midnight.

Some real estate blogs are telling of houses going for $200 K under list instead of the $200 over we had become used to. Obviously some sellers will be more desperate than others. All I'm betting on is dark by midnight.
List price means almost nothing. Start talking about over/under vs recent comp and we have something to talk about. Many houses around me keep jumping up and down hundreds of thousands on list price. It's obvious seller has a number in mind and they are playing marketing games to try to get a buyer.

Most agents have no respect for the product or the process. They will take a listing at a stupid price because it’s mega payday , or the price gets hammered down and it’s still payday.
The interesting things to watch going forward , if your not caught in it, will be the resells that are going to be underwater . We haven’t seen that here in a long time .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Yup its happening. A couple of places I bid on and lost in April failed to close.

2 Agents called me this weekend with great news that I can now buy with an offer (no more bidding). Told me my original offers would take the places. For fun I'm going in again... lowball... Doing my part to support a downward trend.

Yup its happening. A couple of places I bid on and lost in April failed to close.

2 Agents called me this weekend with great news that I can now buy with an offer (no more bidding). Told me my original offers would take the places. For fun I'm going in again... lowball... Doing my part to support a downward trend.
I've mentioned the comment before but an auctioneer replied to a disgruntled bidder "It's worth what I get for it."

Speculators putting in no added value get no sympathy from me. Fix up a place and make it someone's next home is fair game.

Most agents have no respect for the product or the process. They will take a listing at a stupid price because it’s mega payday , or the price gets hammered down and it’s still payday.
The interesting things to watch going forward , if your not caught in it, will be the resells that are going to be underwater . We haven’t seen that here in a long time .

What I like is we seem to be getting out of the auction-type sale. I think realtors use this in hot markets because it draws in dumb money, creates a bidding frenzy that overshoots value, and sells property quickly. The realtor doesn't really care if it sells for a million or !!! $200K Over asking !!! if he can blow the property out with the least effort and expense. I'm sure most realtors would be happy with $50K commission in 3 days vs $60K and a bunch of work and marketing investment over 60 days.

When I noticed most was the typical discount on fixer-uppers evaporated as speculators bet on appreciation over value add. I think that might have slowed, maybe ended as I'm seeing the fixer-upper listings languishing and being discounted again.

What I like is we seem to be getting out of the auction-type sale. I think realtors use this in hot markets because it draws in dumb money, creates a bidding frenzy that overshoots value, and sells property quickly. The realtor doesn't really care if it sells for a million or !!! $200K Over asking !!! if he can blow the property out with the least effort and expense. I'm sure most realtors would be happy with $50K commission in 3 days vs $60K and a bunch of work and marketing investment over 60 days.

When I noticed most was the typical discount on fixer-uppers evaporated as speculators bet on appreciation over value add. I think that might have slowed, maybe ended as I'm seeing the fixer-upper listings languishing and being discounted again.
The small house and fixer-upper side is something to watch. Higher rates and future price uncertainty means flippers, fixers, developers, speculators face greater risk and will sit out of the market until they see a direction. Many just do not understand how this crowd is cranking prices at this end of the detached market. This is exactly how we got our house in late 2008....seller had a low price (expected bidding wars), needed to sell and we were the only people to show up! Couple of years either way and the price would be close to double what we paid.

Location, Location, Timing.

Good reminder @backmarkerducati! I need to call up my broker to see what's possible with the current market 'adjustments' and how I can take advantage of it...or if at all and hold everything close to the chest.

Sit tight , if I was a betting man ( and I am) the bottom is a ways away

I’m more curious what’s going to happen to cost of materials and supplies.

Still want to do our Reno…..but not at these ridiculous prices.

So glad we didn’t hire the PM my sis had for her pool…comedy of errors and ********.

I don’t see a crash coming, but the correction has started . The 3 mil houses are 2.5 again ( where they should have been) . Do we see any bottoms fall out when interest gets to 6.5 or 7? Some people that should not have been in the game will need out, but I suspect that gap gets filled by people that can afford to be in . I don’t see any 500k townhomes coming back .
And this speculation is worth what your paying me for it ……

I don’t see a crash coming, but the correction has started . The 3 mil houses are 2.5 again ( where they should have been) . Do we see any bottoms fall out when interest gets to 6.5 or 7? Some people that should not have been in the game will need out, but I suspect that gap gets filled by people that can afford to be in . I don’t see any 500k townhomes coming back .
And this speculation is worth what your paying me for it ……

Thing is a lot of people that couldn't afford (let's say) 1M at 2%, still won't be able to afford 800-900k at 5%.

The small house and fixer-upper side is something to watch. Higher rates and future price uncertainty means flippers, fixers, developers, speculators face greater risk and will sit out of the market until they see a direction. Many just do not understand how this crowd is cranking prices at this end of the detached market. This is exactly how we got our house in late 2008....seller had a low price (expected bidding wars), needed to sell and we were the only people to show up! Couple of years either way and the price would be close to double what we paid.

Location, Location, Timing.
Prices increased across Ontario like a Tsunami wave with the GTA as the epicenter, the further away the later your prices surge. When things cool off, it happens in reverse -- outlying areas drop first, the GTA last. It's happening -- Brampton, Oakville, Hammer, Barrie, Shawa, Newmarket ... all down double digits from the peak. The GTA is down too, but close in areas that are built out Pickering, Markham should behave in step with Toronto.
Zolo StatsPeak PriceNow PricePrice Change% Change
LocationSpring '22Jul 2022from Peakfrom Peak1 mo3 moYear
Barrie$979$792-$187-19.1%-6.4%-13.6%5.8%
Brampton$1,369$1,066-$303-22.1%-5.8%-18.7%5.3%
Hamilton$1,058$888-$170-16.1%-4.0%-12.6%7.6%
Markham$1,501$1,344-$157-10.5%-0.7%-4.1%12.4%
Milton$1,375$1,079-$296-21.5%-11.2%-14.5%2.5%
Newmarket$1,456$1,118-$338-23.2%-7.3%-15.8%2.0%
Oakville$1,815$1,400-$415-22.9%-2.1%-23.6%-5.7%
Oshawa$1,066$819-$247-23.2%-1.7%-17.2%2.4%
Pickering$1,342$1,156-$186-13.9%5.2%-2.7%12.4%
Richmond Hill$1,586$1,360-$226-14.2%-5.7%-14.5%5.5%
Toronto$1,252$1,157-$95-7.6%-5.9%-4.4%7.2%
I dabble in small low-cost houses way up north. In 2020 you could find fixer-uppers for $50-100K, spend $25K to clean them up and you'd have a chance at $20-30K profit. Those fixer-uppers were selling at $100-200K this spring, unrenovated. I mentioned in an earlier post I was outbid on a couple, the listing price in April was $80, I offered $80 no conditions, the highest bidder won at $120. That place is available again at $80 as the winning buyer couldn't close -- I suspect to see it sell below asking, my $60K low ball offer might just do it!

Last edited:
Prices increased across Ontario like a Tsunami wave with the GTA as the epicenter, the further away the later your prices surge. When things cool off, it happens in reverse -- outlying areas drop first, the GTA last. It's happening -- London ON has dropped 10% in the last 100 days, more houses are being listed, fewer interested buyers, no bidding wars. The GTA is down about 2.5% in the same period (but remember both are still up more than 20% year over year).

Zolo Stats, Jul 4 2022Peak PriceNow PricePrice Change
LocationSpring '22Jul 2022from Peak1 mo3 moYear over year
Barrie$979$792-$187-6.4%-13.6%5.8%
Brampton$1,369$1,066-$303-5.8%-18.7%5.3%
Hamilton$1,058$888-$170-4.0%-12.6%7.6%
Markham$1,501$1,344-$157-0.7%-4.1%12.4%
Milton$1,375$1,079-$296-11.2%-14.5%2.5%
Newmarket$1,456$1,118-$338-7.3%-15.8%2.0%
Oakville$1,815$1,400-$415-2.1%-23.6%-5.7%
Oshawa$1,066$819-$247-1.7%-17.2%2.4%
Pickering$1,342$1,156-$1865.2%-2.7%12.4%
Richmond Hill$1,586$1,360-$226-5.7%-14.5%5.5%
Toronto$1,252$1,157-$95-5.9%-4.4%7.2%

I dabble in small low-cost houses way up north. In 2000 you could find fixer-uppers for $50-100K, spend $25K to clean them up and you'd have a chance at $20-30K profit. Those fixer-uppers were selling at $100-200K this spring, unrenovated. I mentioned in an earlier post I was outbid on a couple, the listing price in April was $80, I offered $80 no conditions, the highest bidder won at $120. That place is available again at $80 as the winning buyer couldn't close -- I suspect to see it sell below asking, my $60K low ball offer might just do it!
Thanks for that Mike, always good to see what's what from people in the business.

As always...I'd be super interested in doing what you do...but I have no clue about Timmins market, or able to take that much time off from my work.

I'm going to keep my eyes open though because if the market starts cratering like I expect in the outskirts...maybe there's something out there for me also.

I’m more curious what’s going to happen to cost of materials and supplies.

Still want to do our Reno…..but not at these ridiculous prices.

So glad we didn’t hire the PM my sis had for her pool…comedy of errors and ********.
2x4 down from $10 to <$6 at Home Depot.

Back
Top Bottom