COVID and the housing market | Page 179 | GTAMotorcycle.com

COVID and the housing market

These are two properties close to our house...

The first property is the one I'm interested in...the obvious wildcard is how much can I sell for...and how much would I be able to buy for...

This one is just WAY the eff out of our budget...

Ouch. 1.2M plus cleanup costs for the lot. You will end up with something amazing but it won't be a whole lot cheaper than option 3 once you need to rent a place to live while building it.

And I’ll guarantee 100% that every single person that complains about housing price will side with me the second they take possession.
You know my buddy Cliff? Getting married, they were looking for a house and all I heard was "Prices are stupid blah, blah, blah." They found one, grumbling about the price, and a year later it was "Look at me. I'm a land baron"

You know my buddy Cliff? Getting married, they were looking for a house and all I heard was "Prices are stupid blah, blah, blah." They found one, grumbling about the price, and a year later it was "Look at me. I'm a land baron"
Always happens in the same way...every single time.

People buy pre-build houses...prices tank...'oh the big bad builder is making me buy this overinflated house totally unfair. Help me get out of this investment gov't'

People buy pre-build houses...prices rise...'oh I'm a super duper smart investor, eff you all poor peasants'

People buy pre-build houses...prices skyrocket...builder cancels the deal and fires it up again under a different company...this one is horrible actually and shouldn't be allowed.

Always happens in the same way...every single time.

People buy pre-build houses...prices tank...'oh the big bad builder is making me buy this overinflated house totally unfair. Help me get out of this investment gov't'

People buy pre-build houses...prices rise...'oh I'm a super duper smart investor, eff you all poor peasants'

People buy pre-build houses...prices skyrocket...builder cancels the deal and fires it up again under a different company...this one is horrible actually and shouldn't be allowed.
I figured we overpaid for our house and there would be a retraction and we would be the high water mark for five years or so. It was a house we liked and wanted to live in for a long time so buying something that wouldn't cripple us financially was more important than buying the best deal we could find. Since then, it's up over 60%. wtf do I know. Timing is almost always luck.

I figured we overpaid for our house and there would be a retraction and we would be the high water mark for five years or so. It was a house we liked and wanted to live in for a long time so buying something that wouldn't cripple us financially was more important than buying the best deal we could find. Since then, it's up over 60%. wtf do I know. Timing is almost always luck.
My only regret is not buying a house in Erin Mills that was back facing onto a park walkway. Beautiful back-split, 5+1 layout, nice fireplace, office space, living space, and large bedrooms.

$1M listed...offered 985k...990k...1M....sold for $1,060,000 with no conditions. About 100k more than ours...but damnit.

These are two properties close to our house...

The first property is the one I'm interested in...the obvious wildcard is how much can I sell for...and how much would I be able to buy for...

This one is just WAY the eff out of our budget...

First one looks nice but there is already a Kevin alert in the pictures.... Electrical panel cannot be behind the washer and dryer, even worse like that. To fix, relocate laundry, plumbing etc. $$$$$s. My guess no permits on the laundry room, so what else....

Second one looks like it is 1.2M for the land, plus teardown and rebuild costs.

Third one would be the highest priced property in Credit Woodlands, compared to recent sales below. There is no exact comparison on Burnbrae, so a premium is expected over the others (size and ravine) but 2.8M....?

1643298538113.png

First one looks nice but there is already a Kevin alert in the pictures.... Electrical panel cannot be behind the washer and dryer, even worse like that. To fix, relocate laundry, plumbing etc. $$$$$s. My guess no permits on the laundry room, so what else....

Second one looks like it is 1.2M for the land, plus teardown and rebuild costs.

Third one would be the highest priced property in Credit Woodlands, compared to recent sales below. There is no exact comparison on Burnbrae, so a premium is expected over the others (size and ravine) but 2.8M....?

View attachment 53112
That electrical is horrible. I didn't look through the pictures. I could tell from picture one which type of house it was going to be. Polish and sell, hide any problems. I'm surprised they didn't hide the panel in a cupboard.

They bought it for 850 in 2016 and did a full interior renovation without permits. No way they are expecting 1.4. They won't sell unless they get hundreds over that and no inspection allowed. Probably a steaming turd. Run. I'd almost be inclined to notify ESA and building department to get that thing red-tagged to save the next sucker the pain.

Last edited:
That electrical is horrible. I didn't look through the pictures. I could tell from picture one which type of house it was going to be. Polish and sell, hide any problems. I'm surprised they didn't hide the panel in a cupboard.

They bought it for 850 in 2016 and did a full interior renovation without permits. No way they are expecting 1.4. They won't sell unless they get hundreds over that and no inspection allowed. Probably a steaming turd. Run. I'd almost be inclined to notify ESA and building department to get that thing red-tagged to save the next sucker the pain.
Now that would be an interesting discussion lol.

I'm sure that house was completed renovated without a permit. And yes...the 'Polish' probably did it also. Bastards.

EDIT: If the gov't put in a simple plan that all houses sold had to go through a gov't inspection to confirm all work is up to code, you would see a very different market.

Work would have to be done properly, municipality makes money to confirm permitting, and the buyer is protected. What a concept.

EDIT #2:

3 building permits...in 1966..

1643301360870.png

Ouch. 1.2M plus cleanup costs for the lot. You will end up with something amazing but it won't be a whole lot cheaper than option 3 once you need to rent a place to live while building it.

This kills me -- street behind us, this is a tear down -- land value only.

Now I think things are nuts.

I'm sure that house was completed renovated without a permit. And yes...the 'Polish' probably did it also. Bastards.

EDIT: If the gov't put in a simple plan that all houses sold had to go through a gov't inspection to confirm all work is up to code, you would see a very different market.

Work would have to be done properly, municipality makes money to confirm permitting, and the buyer is protected. What a concept.

EDIT #2:

View attachment 53113
I meant polish as in shine, not polish as is polak.

EDIT #2:

View attachment 53113
The upside to crazy house prices is requiring a mandatory $1000 inspection before closing would be immaterial. Hell, even better make the inspection mandatory before listing.

The upside to crazy house prices is requiring a mandatory $1000 inspection before closing would be immaterial. Hell, even better make the inspection mandatory before listing.
The $1,000 yes it’s nothing. But the additional 20-30k to make sure you did it right isn’t immaterial.

The $1,000 yes it’s nothing. But the additional 20-30k to make sure you did it right isn’t immaterial.
That matters for the seller not the buyer. It would drastically alter how houses are modified quite quickly. If the seller is the one stuck with the six figure bill to fix their shady electrical, they would pay the five figure bill up front next time to ensure they didn't have issues.

EDIT #2:

View attachment 53113
It's not like they took out a load bearing wall in the kitchen. . . . Oh wait. At least they replaced it with a beam. . . Oh wait.

W3568581_5.jpg

W5474745_5.jpg

There is a tiny tiny chance they installed the beam above the ceiling but location of potlights almost guarantees they didn't (if lack of permit was insufficient evidence). That house probably fails structural and plumbing and definitely fails electrical.

Back
Top Bottom