COVID and the housing market | Page 176 | GTAMotorcycle.com

COVID and the housing market

As for condo meetings, I've run around our complex banging on doors trying to raise a quorum too.

What is with the utter hate for popcorn? I think it looks fine. I hardly even know it's there.
You guys would freak if you saw the ceiling in my bedroom. Remember the swirly staglactite sponge finish?
Hit the popcorn with compressed air sometime. Wear goggles. You will be shocked by the amount of dirt it catches.

In all seriousness, I don't like it because it's lazy. They do less than a half-ass job taping and then spray to hide their butchery. Also, if you ever need to open it, you need to respray the entire room (until you reach a bulkhead) to hide the repair.

Something is wrong with this. At $800/mo /unit that's a 250K/mo for a maintenance budget. Annual condo maint costs should be between $1-2/sq'. The incidentals outside making, groundskeeping, heat should be less than $3000/year/unit leaving $6500 for general repairs.

My guess is the condo board has had pigs at the trough for a while. Condo boards make me grind my teeth.
The fees are in line with a properly maintained building. Add ~$1500 a year for taxes. Being 50 years old the utilities are probably included and overall power consumption 30% higher than a building with individual meters.

Being 50 years old the old rebar embedment issue means millions in parking garage and balcony restoration. (This general problem didn't just get noticed yesterday.)

I suspect the problems started 25 years ago and have been ignored.

If you own a house you should budget a few thou a year for major expenses. A new roof every 15-20 years, furnace / AC similar. Driveway same, panel upgrade, etc. If your condo board isn't socking away the couple of grand a year where is the money coming from for the new roof, parking garage work or elevator? Oh wait, you live on the ground floor and don't have a car so don't need those. sigh.

What is with the utter hate for popcorn? I think it looks fine. I hardly even know it's there.
You guys would freak if you saw the ceiling in my bedroom. Remember the swirly staglactite sponge finish?
I hate this stuff….whatever work I do will remove and flatten this…

277B8352-5208-4269-9782-9E27F5852928.jpeg

Probably plaster done by an old guy. I'd probably drop the ceiling and re-board. You could cover it with board but I'd rather have a look and access during the renovation.
This is the plan. Plus it would allow me to re-wire that entire area of the house and it would be easier going from the ceiling.

Only loss would be the brand new insulation above it. Ah well...sacrifices.

This is the plan. Plus it would allow me to re-wire that entire area of the house and it would be easier going from the ceiling.

Only loss would be the brand new insulation above it. Ah well...sacrifices.
Rake/blow the insulation to the other half of the house before you drop the ceiling. That will make less of a mess too.

Rake/blow the insulation to the other half of the house before you drop the ceiling. That will make less of a mess too.
Good idea, never thought of it. However I don't think it's easily doable. They're separated by a solid wall. May be able to move it from side to side and then re-spread it again after I'm finished.

Good idea, never thought of it. However I don't think it's easily doable. They're separated by a solid wall. May be able to move it from side to side and then re-spread it again after I'm finished.
If the insulation is trapped in a confined area, blow it in one direction, lay down a tarp or poly, blow it onto the tarp and fold up your burrito. Keeps chaos downstairs to a minimum.

Daughter sent me this. Ya, ok! Look at the location on Google maps satellite view.

I dont like land lease. If someone does like land lease, this a 500K+$681/mo is far better than the recent trailer near wasaga for >300k.
Ooooo I didn’t see that part.

So you have a 500k mortgage PLUS a $681 monthly land lease payment? Wtf….

Cancel my chop chop @george__ unless you want in on this.

500k mortgage is already 2k/month in mortgage payments….$2700/month +++

Todays the big day…predictions for BoC new rate? I think max 0.25% raise…if that.

Ooooo I didn’t see that part.

So you have a 500k mortgage PLUS a $681 monthly land lease payment? Wtf….

Cancel my chop chop @george__ unless you want in on this.

500k mortgage is already 2k/month in mortgage payments….$2700/month +++

Todays the big day…predictions for BoC new rate? I think max 0.25% raise…if that.
At first I thought it was a teaser price too MP. I dont know how banks feel about land lease. Probably poorly as the land is the valuable and secure part of the asset. Land lease is probably only for step down housing where buyers have cash for the whole thing.

At first I thought it was a teaser price too MP. I dont know how banks feel about land lease. Probably poorly as the land is the valuable and secure part of the asset. Land lease is probably only for step down housing where buyers have cash for the whole thing.
Probably same as co-op condos. Knew a few people that made millions selling mortgages for co-op units as the banks didn’t want to touch them.

I thought the 500k was just a bidding war frenzy start….my bad.

Probably same as co-op condos. Knew a few people that made millions selling mortgages for co-op units as the banks didn’t want to touch them.

I thought the 500k was just a bidding war frenzy start….my bad.
You still owned land in a co-OP. Yes, it was harder to get a mortgage but there were two or three companies that wrote them.

You still owned land in a co-OP. Yes, it was harder to get a mortgage but there were two or three companies that wrote them.
In a co-op condo? My parents were supers in one. Free rent and a salary.

Hell I considered it a few years back but wife said no. Not sure what supers are paid or how they’re compensated now a days. They’re more property managers that sign off on work than anything.

Back
Top Bottom