COVID and the housing market | Page 124 | GTAMotorcycle.com

COVID and the housing market

How hard would it be to turn this into a racetrack?
An official track? Really hard. Lots of money in PEC. I am sure the organized opposition would pop up quickly.

Unofficial track with you and your buddies riding around your runways and cones? They'd have trouble stopping you.

I think the solution to the affordability issue is to decentralize. Govt should invest in the near and far north and establish some focus areas.

Tax the **** out of southern Ontario real estate investments.
  • Double property tax on non resident owned rental units. If you don’t live in Ontario, pay dearly.
  • increase the length of time you need to live in a house to claim capx exemption to 3 years.
  • free up crown lands cheaply in central and northern Ontario to encourage migration and development. Do it first around places like Sudbury, Sarnia, North Bay where there is good basic transportation, air service and infrastructure.
  • Provide massive tax incentives and streamline developmental red tape as incentive for businesses to relocate into areas.
  • Move provincial govt operations out of Toronto where possible
  • Encourage centres of excellence where possible. Mining, insurance, contact centres, aviation maintenance… all outside the gta.
  • Invest in the ring of fire roads.
If I could find raw materials and dependable transport at competitive prices in North Bay I’d try to move our factory. For what I could save in rent over 3 years I could give everyone on the payroll a down payment on a starter home.

Not surprised, but this article says a lot of things we expected (housing shortage, big money buying up properties and jacking rents, etc).

And today, no place looks more attractive to Spann, the chief executive officer of Akelius Residential Property AB, than Canada. Akelius plans to expand on the footholds it has in Montreal and Toronto, including in the suddenly fashionable Parkdale neighborhood, and push into Ottawa, too.

This is a point that Spann stressed when explaining why Canada is one of the best places in the world to buy apartment buildings right now.

“There is legal certainty,” he said. “The municipalities in Canada cooperate with landlords.”

Not surprised, but this article says a lot of things we expected (housing shortage, big money buying up properties and jacking rents, etc).

And today, no place looks more attractive to Spann, the chief executive officer of Akelius Residential Property AB, than Canada. Akelius plans to expand on the footholds it has in Montreal and Toronto, including in the suddenly fashionable Parkdale neighborhood, and push into Ottawa, too.

This is a point that Spann stressed when explaining why Canada is one of the best places in the world to buy apartment buildings right now.

“There is legal certainty,” he said. “The municipalities in Canada cooperate with landlords.”

I grew up in Parkdale as a renter. IIRC about $120 a month in the late 50's early 60's. We could have purchased the house for $14,000 when a guy could make $5000 a year. Three years gross pay = house price. (Mortgages were 4-5% and fixed forever.)

Today that house is $2 million and not too many people make $650K a year gross.

Don't worry GG. The politicians will study the problem.

I grew up in Parkdale as a renter. IIRC about $120 a month in the late 50's early 60's. We could have purchased the house for $14,000 when a guy could make $5000 a year. Three years gross pay = house price. (Mortgages were 4-5% and fixed forever.)

Today that house is $2 million and not too many people make $650K a year gross.

Don't worry GG. The politicians will study the problem.
Saw this coming decades ago, as the area full of produce stores and butchers, became gentrified.
It's amazing how many Starbucks can fit in an area.

Saw this coming decades ago, as the area full of produce stores and butchers, became gentrified.
I don't know whether to do thumbs up or sad face. Thumbs up for accuracy. Thumbs down for gentrified sheep.

On a related note, I found a decent flat white. Not quite Oz good but the closest I've found in canada. Ashanti Coffee in Collingwood is worth a visit. Family company with a cool history (coffee farmers in SA, land got taken so they moved to Ontario and now roast/run a cafe).

Last edited:
Bloor West village is the same. The butchers and bakers used to try to outdo each other. Now it's boutiques and bistros. That part of the city used to be dry for ages.

I don't know whether to do thumbs up or sad face. Thumbs up for accuracy. Thumbs down for gentrified sheep.

On a related note, I found a decent flat white. Not quite Oz good but the closest I've found in canada. Ashanti Coffee in Collingwood is worth a visit. Family company with a cool history (coffee farmers in SA, land got taken so they moved to Ontario and now roast/run a cafe).
????

Bloor West village is the same. The butchers and bakers used to try to outdo each other. Now it's boutiques and bistros. That part of the city used to be dry for ages.
Bloor West was a decade or two ahead though, but yeah one side was bars and the other coffee shops.
I think Mike Walton's place is still there, called Shakeys.

is canada latin for full of legal loopholes?

Between pay to immigrate, students with property empires and corporations funded by foreign money you probably have a decent percentage of the market. One of the parties mentioned clamping down on foreign controlled corps but that is simple enough to have a domestic lawyer (or student or . . . .) as the corporate figurehead. They apply for private "loans" and have a very high success rate. Bingo bango, domestic corporation buying houses.

Buddy just told me he put an offer on a condo in Oakville. Slightly above asking. 4 offers came in.

Owner says ‘you know what…I’ll hold off another week to see if any more offers come in.’

He’s not hopeful he’s going to get it.

Buddy just told me he put an offer on a condo in Oakville. Slightly above asking. 4 offers came in.

Owner says ‘you know what…I’ll hold off another week to see if any more offers come in.’

He’s not hopeful he’s going to get it.

se this is why any time there is a broker involved its just a fukup. I would like you to pay me XXX, I will pay you your ask plus a little more. Nope I'll just wait and see whom is wanting to pay me XXX plus a lot more.
The entire process is fuked .

I went to buy a sailboat last spring through a broker, turned into a bidding war on a 40 yr old sailboat. F that .

Just tossing this out there.... how about a square footage surcharge on new construction to encourage more and smaller homes? If the house is over 1500 sq.ft the surcharge starts ramping up, over 2000 we now it gets serious.... maybe a 1000 sq.ft for a condo....

Instead of based just on price (like land transfer) it now also factors size... just a thought?

Just tossing this out there.... how about a square footage surcharge on new construction to encourage more and smaller homes? If the house is over 1500 sq.ft the surcharge starts ramping up, over 2000 we now it gets serious.... maybe a 1000 sq.ft for a condo....

Instead of based just on price (like land transfer) it now also factors size... just a thought?
Cool idea, it doesn't lower house price much. Most of the money is in the land and the sq ft if the house is barely correlated to the land required and much more correlated to built form. You could do something similar to your idea with units/acre. Instead of trying development charges just to unit type add a similar but massive charge per acre to encourage density. Maybe something like an 18'x100' townhouse or condo avoids the fee and for larger lots the fee is $10000 a foot for larger frontage (first 18' are free) or $2000 a foot for more depth? Obviously I am thinking about this for subdivisions not farms, something different would need to be done outside of "developments".

Almost as important as the charge is the function. Dont slush fund the money. It goes in a pool to build affordable housing (maybe provide land, maybe provide buildings). If you want a 100' estate subdivision lot you can have one but you are tossing in 800K to help others have shelter. Nobody needs an estate lot and wants can be expensive.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom