COVID-19 potential restrictions on riding? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

COVID-19 potential restrictions on riding?

I've been home for 5 days now and my garage has never been so organized since we moved in 20 years ago. Going through a major purge and reorganization out there.

If I end up off work longer I'm moving onto the basement.

Suddenly there's time for all that stuff that I've never wanted to spend so much time doing at the expense of other more important social activities, riding, vacations, and downtime.

I've been home for 5 days now and my garage has never been so organized since we moved in 20 years ago. Going through a major purge and reorganization out there.

Suddenly there's time for all that stuff that I've never wanted to spend so much time doing at the expense of other more important social activities, riding, vacations, and downtime.
Hopefully we get there too. There are a lot of things on the list I cam do if I get time. Still trying to work/parent/home school so I have substantially less time now than a few weeks ago.

I know for a fact that your dog is a useless riding partner if you are pinned under a motorcycle.

January-13-2012-16-57-35-tumblrlx2r6hh1W91qewacoo1500.jpg

I find it a bit sad that some people that are essential are whining and stepping away from the plate. It's also a bummer that news outlets are making companies out to be the bogeyman when they are pulling out all the stops to keep staff save and essential services running.

Just because a colleague is not essential and has been sent home on paid leave doesn't make they your entitlement. Be envious -- that's OK, but do your duty and don't expect your peers to pull your weight because you'd rather be on paid vacation.

To all those answering the call in health care, food distribution, food kitchens, banking, transit and transport -- I salute you.

To all those refusing to step up -- your peers are probably taking names.

Surprised you're off work, what type of freight do you carry?

Haha yup. We’ve had 3 trees fall at the cottage last year. 2 of them grazed the cottage and damage was minimal. The third one fell onto the neighbours beautiful illegally built shed....so he didn’t report our tree just helped us cut it up.

I’ve got enough firewood for at least 2 years now.

To all those answering the call in health care, food distribution, food kitchens, banking, transit and transport -- I salute you.

To all those refusing to step up -- your peers are probably taking names.

For the record, some of have stepped back because we have valid medical reasons.

I'm not at work right now because early last week I developed a hacky dry cough...one of those ones that's uncontrollable - last week when I was trying to squelch it it just turned into an uncontrolled hacking fit for the effort. That's a Covid19 symptom. Despite thankfully not having any other symptoms (and I still don't), on medical advice, I'm temporarily off.

There's several problems with me being at work right now even once I pass the "Ok,it's just a cough, not Covid" waiting period:

- People treat you like you have ebola right now if you have a cough, even if it's just a cough as a result of a chest cold or whatever. This includes coworkers.

- Customers have signs up on their doors that if you have a cough/etc etc etc they do NOT want you in their factories or places of business. They don't care that you've gone through a self isolation period and it's just a chest cold blah blah blah. You have a cough right now? GTFO.

Frankly, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. In another 2 days I'm outside the window of "potential Covid", but I still have this stupid annoying cough which means that even if I return to work places may not want me in their buildings which makes me rather useless.

I'm hoping the cough goes away soon but past experience tells me it's going to be another few weeks....I get these stupid hacky cough things at least once or twice a winter (I own stock in the Buckleys company lol) because of the dry conditions, being constantly in and out of heated buildings and then back out in the cold, etc etc makes it worse. Normally it's just part of life. Now, now so much.

For the record, some of have stepped back because we have valid medical reasons.

I'm not at work right now because early last week I developed a hacky dry cough...one of those ones that's uncontrollable - last week when I was trying to squelch it it just turned into an uncontrolled hacking fit for the effort. That's a Covid19 symptom. Despite thankfully not having any other symptoms (and I still don't), on medical advice, I'm temporarily off.

There's several problems with me being at work right now even once I pass the "Ok,it's just a cough, not Covid" waiting period:

- People treat you like you have ebola right now if you have a cough, even if it's just a cough as a result of a chest cold or whatever. This includes coworkers.

- Customers have signs up on their doors that if you have a cough/etc etc etc they do NOT want you in their factories or places of business. They don't care that you've gone through a self isolation period and it's just a chest cold blah blah blah. You have a cough right now? GTFO.

Frankly, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. In another 2 days I'm outside the window of "potential Covid", but I still have this stupid annoying cough which means that even if I return to work places may not want me in their buildings which makes me rather useless.

I'm hoping the cough goes away soon but past experience tells me it's going to be another few weeks....I get these stupid hacky cough things at least once or twice a winter (I own stock in the Buckleys company lol) because of the dry conditions, being constantly in and out of heated buildings and then back out in the cold, etc etc makes it worse. Normally it's just part of life. Now, now so much.
There's a difference between staying away on medical advice and staying away because you are jealous of peers who are on paid furlough. I don't want anyone here who's hacking -- one of my colleagues has seasonal allergies and is sneezing and wheezing right now, sending her home creates less mental health stress in the workplace so that's what we did.

I understand that some folks are deathly afraid, I'm ok with providing them the option for vacation time or unpaid leave.

My beef is with people who are gaming the system or treating "paid to stay at home" as some sort of entitlement.

On the travel note, Nova Scotia has now started telling anyone entering the province even from another province that they must self isolate for 14 days.

Hopefully this bit at least goes away before riding season is in full swing since it seems like that crossing to the USA won't be an option this year. Even if they reopen the border I'm not sure I want to mingle with the population down there considering how many are vehement that "this is all just a hoax to harm Trump!".

Exactly. The exceptions are enough to keep the virus spreading at a manageable rate. Any random activity increases the rate further.

I think the far bigger short-term (eight weeks?) issue is the lack of health care resources. We try not to crash but sometimes it happens. What was survivable last summer may get you a toe tag soon as the system doesnt have the capacity to fix you and nurse you back to health. If you are going to tie up an ICU bed for weeks and maybe not make it, do they save you in the ER? Not a fun question and not an easy answer.

Spain and italy have banned bicycle riding. I have heard that the primary reason was lack of health care availabiluty and statistically higher chance of them needing healthcare.

My daughter used to dispatch ambulances. She informed me I was basically wrong in my assumption that once hooked up to a medical device they couldn't disconnect. Sorry take a deep breath. It's someone else's turn.

I can't see them restricting riding. Your on your bike outside, you are not near anyone. If you stop at Tim's for coffee you just park one bike per spot.
On CP24 today they showed kids and parents at a playground, all of them really close together. Somebody sent the video to CP24. I don't understand
parents doing that?? Take your kid to play in the park, but keep a distance from others.

Tims won't serve you drive through on a bike and going inside creates a problem. You are part of the problem. Sorry to be blunt (not really).

If I decided to go out on a day ride right now I'd certainly be packing everything I need for the day in relation to food and drink. Counting on or expecting restaurants and such to be open right now constitutes poor planning, and IMHO you shouldn't be visiting them anyways if there are alternatives such as just packing a lunch.

As for the risks...honestly, riding alone is hardly risky from an infection standpoint. Until we're at the point that "just being outside" is a risk I think suggesting that people shouldn't even go outside to do solo leisure activities whilst taking all expected precautions is a bit of an overkill.

At least part of the reason that Italy has such a big problem now has been the number of people who flout the recommendations, which then become rules, which then become enforced by the military. Public transit still working, same dog gets walked by multiple people constantly, go grocery shopping for one banana at a time, etc. It morphs into "you can't leave your property" because people don't follow the spirit of the recommendations.

The longer some people flout the recommendations, the longer we all have to deal with them and the more stringent they will get.

One thing it's becoming apparent that we need, is a mandatory shutdown of all manufacturing and retail that isn't directly involved with or supporting the food industry or health care.

I'm planning to go for a ride on Tuesday ... nowhere to go that's open, oh well. I know it's not a problem for myself or others.

A health care system that is at capacity (not yet, but it will be, soon) is good reason to be extra careful.

I'm waiting for the vigilantes to come out. Someone is in line and a sniffling nose dripper stands too close. Thump or in the USA, Bang

Tims won't serve you drive through on a bike and going inside creates a problem. You are part of the problem. Sorry to be blunt (not really).
In the summer I stop at Tim's drive-thru on my bike on my way to work, put my coffee in my modified tank bag. Never had an issue. Sorry to be so blunt (not really)

Nobody is going to be working in Tim's until further notice, makes no odds.

Right now weather is the problem, 2 inches of fresh snow here today, anything that was ice covered yesterday is too slippery today for even the dog to stand on
:( damn! Took my studded tires off a week too early. Bring on the warm weather!

If I decided to go out on a day ride right now I'd certainly be packing everything I need for the day in relation to food and drink. Counting on or expecting restaurants and such to be open right now constitutes poor planning, and IMHO you shouldn't be visiting them anyways if there are alternatives such as just packing a lunch.

As for the risks...honestly, riding alone is hardly risky from an infection standpoint. Until we're at the point that "just being outside" is a risk I think suggesting that people shouldn't even go outside to do solo leisure activities whilst taking all expected precautions is a bit of an overkill.

Taking a porta potty?

I'm waiting for the vigilantes to come out. Someone is in line and a sniffling nose dripper stands too close. Thump or in the USA, Bang
Didn't they say Trump tested positive a while ago or was that a hoax too?

Not a porta potty, a shovel lol bury it deep

Exactly. The exceptions are enough to keep the virus spreading at a manageable rate. Any random activity increases the rate further.

I think the far bigger short-term (eight weeks?) issue is the lack of health care resources. We try not to crash but sometimes it happens. What was survivable last summer may get you a toe tag soon as the system doesnt have the capacity to fix you and nurse you back to health. If you are going to tie up an ICU bed for weeks and maybe not make it, do they save you in the ER? Not a fun question and not an easy answer.

Spain and italy have banned bicycle riding. I have heard that the primary reason was lack of health care availabiluty and statistically higher chance of them needing healthcare.

IMO eight weeks MAY give us an idea of the shape of the curve unless we go drastic. If this thread is any indication there are still a lot of people wanting to play as usual. The Easter Bunny won't be bringing a magic cure, Santa Clause if we're lucky.

Back
Top Bottom