COVID-19 potential restrictions on riding? | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

COVID-19 potential restrictions on riding?

That's almost certain to happen anyways but flattening the curve protects the helathcare system from overload.

80% will get it with little or no symptom

10% will need hospital treaments.

3% will die from it.....more in the vulnerable category.
That's my thoughts as well. Based on how this spreads, unless the lockdown extends to vaccine deployment (which it won't), the vast majority of the world population will catch this organically. The other upside to slowing the spread is hopefully they come up with an effective drug and/or protocol to help the vulnerable get through an infection. Right now, if you have co-morbidities and end up on a ventilator, they don't seem to have many recovering.

That's almost certain to happen anyways but flattening the curve protects the helathcare system from overload.

80% will get it with little or no symptom

10% will need hospital treaments.

3% will die from it.....more in the vulnerable category.
Info source?

yesterday was my last ride until we get on top of this :sick:
What really? You feel it is unsafe to be out on the road? Or give people a false impression to be out and about?

What really? You feel it is unsafe to be out on the road? Or give people a false impression to be out and about?

it is always unsafe to be out on 2 wheels near brain addled motorists

I'm mildly concerned about the idea of being hit and needing emergency care
have no wishes to see the inside of a hospital ever, certainly not during these times
I'm of an age and with pre-existing condition that makes me high risk for checking out

that thought doesn't overly scare me
if it did I would quit riding for good
but 2 or 3 weeks of horribly nasty illness prior, does

it is always unsafe to be out on 2 wheels near brain addled motorists

I'm mildly concerned about the idea of being hit and needing emergency care
have no wishes to see the inside of a hospital ever, certainly not during these times
I'm of an age and with pre-existing condition that makes me high risk for checking out

that thought doesn't overly scare me
if it did I would quit riding for good
but 2 or 3 weeks of horribly nasty illness prior, does
Well said.I wish more people had your attitude.

666 Posts
#162 2 h ago (Edited)
I was very involved with SARs in downtown Toronto as an emergency manager with the Province of Ontario. Scary and deadly but not as infectious as covid. This is a true pandemic and will last 1-2 years. 60% or more globally will likely become infected. Most will be ok although really sick for a few weeks and hopefully develop immunity. Better to catch this later when treatments may be available rather than sooner but I am not stressed and not blaming governments. Governments just think short term, reelections etc. Following Sars there were many recommendations, stockpile masks etc. Well they did and they considered other recommendations but they let the masks expire, did not want to dump money into research, government priorities change. Anyway sure nice to do social distancing on the bike. Longer trips are cancelled for 2020 but day trips with a thermos and snacks are a go, including with a buddy. Rest stops are down, so fertilizing the bushes at the side of the road from time to time may be necessary. The low traffic levels are definitely a stress reliever. One of the biggest issues aside from financial will be mental health. I encourage all of you to break out your bikes and take a nice country ride from time to time if able and relax.
I have to say, regarding self isolation, in my area of North Brampton, north of Toronto nearly everyone is taking it seriously. When walking around the block, people go out of their way to keep 6 ft or much more distance and most cars are parked all day. Still, nothing wrong with taking a drive in the country. Even our cars need to be driven once in a while.

Last edited:
For anyone riding, I just mentioned it in another thread. Pack TP if you're going anywhere long/distant. Publicly accessible bathrooms are becoming far and few. Taking a squirt on a sideroad somewhere is one thing. Urgently needing to take a #2 without any physical location willing to let you inside to use their bathroom anymore, an entirely different situation. Ask me how I know. ;)

It's a joke until it happens to you. People that don't work in brick and mortar buildings depend on coffee shops and the like to relieve themselves.

TP and a shovel is fine if you're in the wilds but not in southern Ontario.

Reactions: J_F
yup
get your timing down
so that's managed at home
personally I never go out with swamp-ass
always shower after

I equate going for a ride on the bike with the activities the government says are ok eg: walking the dog, going for a run, going for a walk/cycling around the neighbourhood. You're either practicing the contact/distance guidelines or you're not.

Today the Mrs and I went out for fish and chips. We share a bed so any cross contamination has happened. Both of us feel fine. Call it cabin fever or whatever you want we needed an outing so we hopped in the cage and drove to the chip shop and parked. I followed their instruction given to me when I called ahead. In one door, obey the marked lines, order and get the food. Back to car where Mrs was waiting and ate in the parking lot. Appropriate use of sanitizer.

Worse than a bike ride as one of us made slight contact with an unknown person.

The trade off is that the break has re energized us to continue the fight.

Today the Mrs and I went out for fish and chips. We share a bed so any cross contamination has happened. Both of us feel fine. Call it cabin fever or whatever you want we needed an outing so we hopped in the cage and drove to the chip shop and parked. I followed their instruction given to me when I called ahead. In one door, obey the marked lines, order and get the food. Back to car where Mrs was waiting and ate in the parking lot. Appropriate use of sanitizer.

Worse than a bike ride as one of us made slight contact with an unknown person.

The trade off is that the break has re energized us to continue the fight.

Imagine being at home with a 1 year old and 3 year old (that have way too much displaced energy being cooped up) + wife trying to get creative conceptual work done in a tiny room on constant tight deadlines. My contract will be up prematurely next week due to the virus and although I won’t have an income which is a big concern, I’m actually looking forward to it in some ways. At this point I feel like I need to get out for a solo ride through the country roads just to maintain my sanity.

Anybody that isnt in a solid relationship will soon be , if not already, tested to the limit. 24/7 is hard enough when you get along well. I can imagine coming out the other side of this, divorces will be off the charts.
And worse than potential divorce are the domestic violence spikes. I hear from people in the business its ugly.

Anybody that isnt in a solid relationship will soon be , if not already, tested to the limit. 24/7 is hard enough when you get along well. I can imagine coming out the other side of this, divorces will be off the charts.
And worse than potential divorce are the domestic violence spikes. I hear from people in the business its ugly.
That's odd, I don't think my wife and I have ever been closer :| I must be doing it wrong.

The group of cruiser riders observed hanging out in the parking lot of a local Timmies yesterday were not.

Which is stupid IMO. You're going to to see a lot more municipality follow Toronto and Brampton's lead of passing bylaws with hefty fines and enforcement to curb those actions. Under the current recommendations (which may change at noon today) I see no difference between my usual pre-plague solo ride around the neigbourhood and going out now, other than backing it down a notch or two.

The group of cruiser riders observed hanging out in the parking lot of a local Timmies yesterday were not.

I’ve seen this too, and I’d have ZERO problems with the OPP showing up and ticketing every single on of them.

Not gonna lie, My wife and I went on it for a ride on the weekend when it was super nice. Met 2 other friends in Port Perry - we planned very specifically NOT to meet at Tim’s on the causeway because I suspected it would be littered with other bikes. As we rode past said Tim Hortons on our way to our planned meeting area (an empty parking lot elsewhere) reality did not disappoint - probably 20-30 bikes all crammed together with a bunch of old guys (high risk crowd) all mingling....probably many not even keeping 6 feet at minimum. Avoided it like the plague.

But like I said, we specifically planned to go elsewhere, kept at least eight or 10 feet between us, and there were only a few of us on top of that.

It's a joke until it happens to you. People that don't work in brick and mortar buildings depend on coffee shops and the like to relieve themselves.

TP and a shovel is fine if you're in the wilds but not in southern Ontario.

As of Today Tim Hortons is at least allowing guys like me still at work to come inside, Wash my hands, and use the bathroom before ordering food. Not a huge fan of Tims anymore, but I’ll give them kudos for that.

Pulled the DL out yesterday to stuff the gsxr in behind. Screw it put the bags on and did the shopping and beer runs. Only local but so happy.

Correction: Now apparently it’s only “Selected” Tim Hortons that are opening bathrooms for drivers.

I’m sitting behind the Port Perry Tims right now and was denied access to the bathroom still. Had to walk through the drive through to get my food, but at least that worked.

On the right side the parking lot isn’t full of bikes despite the nice weather. Have seen a few go past though.

Like this?

Back
Top Bottom