Coronavirus | Page 335 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you for the stupid remark, quite eye opening.
covid numbers are rising, typical fall weather is arriving

and ford is telling folks their children will be safe with masks and socially distancing w 30 kids in a classroom...of course that is going to work well.

sorry, its a really good choice. Im so stupid.

I'd guess the undocumented population of India is exponentially more than all of Canada.

And when folks die in mass numbers without ever seeing a doctor, they are not going to get tested for covid.

The exact toll may never be accurately known.

Very sad to see for India.

Sent from my Mi Note 3 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

boots on the ground....I was there when India slammed in their lockdown with 4 hours notice and only managed to return home four months later ...in India (a) the lockdown caused a mass migration of casual labour from the metros to the villages - virus, to the villages, a reverse migration with the easing of the lockdown - virus, back to the cities (b) that country has a high population density with many people crammed into small areas (c) people there have lockdown fatigue and social distancing at their bazaars is next to impossible (d) their medical system operates on a "for profit" basis and I would be charitable in saying that the low-cost/free, govt run hospitals are adequate.
While I was there, their PM held pot-banging and candle-lighting sessions for the general populace, you be judge of the anti-virus effect of those measures.
Yes, I saw COVID deaths there and it aint "pretty".

thank you for the stupid remark, quite eye opening.
covid numbers are rising, typical fall weather is arriving

and ford is telling folks their children will be safe with masks and socially distancing w 30 kids in a classroom...of course that is going to work well.

sorry, its a really good choice. Im so stupid.
Mixed thoughts.
I'm glad I'm not the one who has to deal with this mess, and has to try and achieve multiple, somewhat conflicting goals.
I think Ford, and especially the staff & teachers, will do their best, but it won't be perfect.
It would be interesting to know how many kids will actually be in each class, since there will be a significant number who won't attend.
Other people, may be essential workers, with no means to take care of their children while at work.
Also, is the education system so poor that skipping a year, won't make any difference at all?
It would be nice if Trudeau had mapped a plan of moving forward during this pandemic, but he hasn't even been able to figure out how to get Parliament to meet during it.

It would be nice if Trudeau had mapped a plan of moving forward during this pandemic, but he hasn't even been able to figure out how to get Parliament to meet during it.
I would argue JT has been specifically focused on not allowing parliament to meet as he wants to be the Grand Vizier and wants no opportunity for anyone to question his commandments.

I agree with the rest of your post.

As for skipping a year hurting education, I think that boils down to haves or have nots. If the kid is smart and has access to money (which buys time and/or extra help), I think you could collapse a year of public school down to a couple months or less. If the kid is struggling and doesn't have access to resources, that year could be a disaster and they will never catch up, they will remain one grade behind their age forever. If they were near the end of their education journey, they may never finish.

Last edited:
They could scrub a year, but seriously is this over by next september? Jimmy being a grade behind will be temporary, once hes through school no one will know what year was graduation or care. Not even Jimmy.
Its the train wreck that will be staffing in every business and industry , somebody will have to be home for 14-20 days with little Jimmy, then his sister. And not every company will be as flexible as they have been.
The world needs people back to productivity to sustain, and when we run out of teachers while everybody quarantines then what. I suspect teachers will be in the first wave to run out of the classroom.

They could scrub a year, but seriously is this over by next september? Jimmy being a grade behind will be temporary, once hes through school no one will know what year was graduation or care. Not even Jimmy.
Its the train wreck that will be staffing in every business and industry , somebody will have to be home for 14-20 days with little Jimmy, then his sister. And not every company will be as flexible as they have been.
The world needs people back to productivity to sustain, and when we run out of teachers while everybody quarantines then what. I suspect teachers will be in the first wave to run out of the classroom.
A lot of teachers have kids too. When their kid gets the boot for a runny nose, I suspect the teacher will be the one staying home with them in most cases. Strong union means that will probably incur zero financial cost and it actually reduces the teachers risk. With enough teachers staying home with their crotch goblins, the system starts circling the drain.

Think I posted this in the wrong thread..

Someone is tracking Ontario school Covid cases. 13 so far. 9 staff and 4 students. Ottawa and other schools in Mississauga mainly

I do some part time work with a guy who is married to an educator. His wife is administrative, goes to an office not a classroom and she outranks him if someone has to stay home with their grade one.

It's a PITA to set up a job because the chain of command, weather and "what ifs" rule the schedule. If we set a date a week in advance it's usually a no-show. If I needed a reliable income I'd have to go elsewhere.

Im concerned that children are returning to school. watched a couple buses on the street this morning. EDIT or maybe it was just a dry run for the bus drivers?

if I had school age children I would keep them home.

ford saying masks and social distancing will keep them safe is such a load of cr*p

social distancing with 25-30 kids in a class room is not even possible. at some schools, student populations of 1000 or more exist...

why make such a push using our children? this is such a bad idea..

F you ford.

A school bus driver I know says the kids lick the windows of the bus.

The adult response would be to coat the windows with wasabi.

The kid's response would be "Hey Bobby, I bet I can lick more than you"

What did Sweden do for precautions at schools? How did they do with children getting COVID?

A more "up beat" way to look at our numbers...

Is that from one of those websites where they then construe because the "chances" are so low that we shouldn't be making any of the efforts we are? Screw masks, the lockdown was stupid, reopen everything, this is all a big exaggeration.

Because that's how you end up like the USA.

Are they at 200,000 deaths yet?

It looks like we can party hearty. But what if death #9114 is me or my wife.

Being retired and not behind a financial eight ball I am not under the same pressure as others to get back to work.

Like many others, I have taken physical risks during my life when it benefitted me. I don't build a scaffolding to change a light bulb even though it would reduce the risk of a fall.

My wife and I are independent enough to not need group hugs.

We enjoy a picnic as much as a restaurant served meal.

In short, the reward of us backing off doesn't warrant the risk. Why step on an ice patch when a minor diversion makes things safer?

I would prefer going back to the pre Covid world, no masks, handshakes OK, etc but I'll weather the storm. I'm not betting on anything different for the next two years.

Is that from one of those websites where they then construe because the "chances" are so low that we shouldn't be making any of the efforts we are? Screw masks, the lockdown was stupid, reopen everything, this is all a big exaggeration.

Because that's how you end up like the USA.

Are they at 200,000 deaths yet?

Closing in, 193K with todays 1224.

@PrivatePilot it comes from Health Canada's website...

@nobbie48 not trying to be like the US at all...I'm back in the classroom with 20 6-8 year olds, so I'm concerned as much as anyone else...just trying to look at it in a more "up beat" way to get me through the days is all...
Thanks for posting. The numbers were interesting and I was happy they were from a good source. As for PP's comments, I'm sure they will be used as he expected as well as being spun the other way. Looking at just the numbers instead of the commentary helps people form their own opinion.

I would argue JT has been specifically focused on not allowing parliament to meet as he wants to be the Grand Vizier and wants no opportunity for anyone to question his commandments.

I agree with the rest of your post.

As for skipping a year hurting education, I think that boils down to haves or have nots. If the kid is smart and has access to money (which buys time and/or extra help), I think you could collapse a year of public school down to a couple months or less. If the kid is struggling and doesn't have access to resources, that year could be a disaster and they will never catch up, they will remain one grade behind their age forever. If they were near the end of their education journey, they may never finish.

It was college but my daughter found that she could take the same course evenings in half the time at half the cost while working full time. She got the same credits.

View attachment 44954

I don't see a quality of life column. The long term after effects are poorly documented. Lots of people know someone who knows someone that got something from Cover 19 or read it on line. Accurate stats aren't in as every doctor and hospital raises flags to get their share of the limelight

Rheumatic fever hits the heart 10-20 years later

Scarlet fever contributes to a half dozen after effects including arthritis and kidney disease.

Rubella causes birth defects.

There are more, especially for the antivaxxers.

The Covid 19 future is a crap shoot at the moment but a good long term investment would be in health care supplies. Front line has too many risks.

It's all fine until the last few lines, which are set up to be misleading.

What they title as "chance of dying from covid" is really "chance of having died SO FAR from covid taking into account the public health measures that have been implemented". And this says nothing about the chance of dying from covid going forward ... especially if we withdraw public health measures, as I am sure whoever set up that chart was intending to suggest by doing so.

The chance of dying from covid in Canada is indeed low ... provided that we continue being cautious and taking the various public health measures that we have been doing so far, and keep at it.

Withdraw the various public health measures ... and you'll have a US situation, although delayed a few months by what we've done so far (i.e. throwing away the efforts that we have made so far).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom