Coronavirus | Page 401 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
seems more cash grab than anything. A few cousins didn’t know about it until they were on their way to Warsaw and texted me to say they’re excited to come to our wedding.
I just casually asked ‘any issues with your ETA?’
‘what’s an ETA?’
Cue a flurry of phone activity en route to the airport. Last one came in as they were waiting in line to get on the plane.
I think it’s like $8-10CAD to get into Canada.

unfortunately an acquaintance missed his brothers funeral because he didn’t know about it and couldn’t get on the plane out of Heathrow. Showed up a day later.

Total cash grab.

Before the ETA, visa-exempt foreign nationals could just show up at the Canadian border (like your Polish cousins) and get stamped in for free.

Now it's $7.

SMH.

The ETA for Australia costs AUD$25 (roughly CAD$25) and I applied online for it a couple months ahead to make sure.

Had it 20 minutes later ...

Up until about 20 minutes ago, if someone asked me "Do you personally know anyone who had covid19" (as the right-wing crowd seems apt to do), I would have had to say "no". Several friend-of-friend and co-worker-of-friend and jobsite-had-it situations, but not any direct situations.

That answer is now "yes". And their whole family has it, and the husband's father is in hospital with it. And it's local (Dufferin County).

I've heard the ETA process for Canada is pretty fast for visa-exempt foreign nationals. So much so that if you get turned away at the arrivals terminal by the Canada Customs official for not having one, you can simply go back to the end of the line, apply online using your smartphone (hopefully you have one and can connect to the airport's wifi) and it'll be approved in a few minutes.

It might take longer for the ETA to be approved if you are actually applying for a visa instead of a visa-waiver. But if you're in this category, you would already know that the process to enter Canada is more complicated than just showing up at the border and would have done your homework, ie. contacting the embassy/looking up the visa requirements for entry to Canada and then going through the ETA process.

Reality is we're still going to be wearing masks in indoor venues probably through to next fall, maybe next winter as well depending on how many people end up getting vaccinated and how close to herd immunity we do (or do not) get.

But crazies gonna be crazy, no matter what.

I thought about that a few days ago. Good lord I hope there's some level of anti-counterfeit in the document...or better yet, it should be online somehow with a connection to a central registry with a barcode or something that businesses can quickly scan and validate somehow. Any fake BS copies don't scan properly and the piece of paper isn't worth jack ****.

But knowing our shortsighted governments it'll be some stupid wallet sized piece of paper that anyone can run off copies of in their living room using an inkjet.
have you seen the replacement for social security cards? i r scared.

The ETA for Australia costs AUD$25 (roughly CAD$25) and I applied online for it a couple months ahead to make sure.

Had it 20 minutes later ...

Up until about 20 minutes ago, if someone asked me "Do you personally know anyone who had covid19" (as the right-wing crowd seems apt to do), I would have had to say "no". Several friend-of-friend and co-worker-of-friend and jobsite-had-it situations, but not any direct situations.

That answer is now "yes". And their whole family has it, and the husband's father is in hospital with it. And it's local (Dufferin County)
work is getting hammered right now :(

Do you mean Social Insurance Number cards?

I haven't seen the replacement. Link?
oh yeah, i stand corrected.

yeah, it's a piece of paper now. literally just printed on regular A4 with a Government of Canada letterhead saying "I name have #123-456-789"

I only know because years ago mine finally cracked in half, so i went in and spent over an hour waiting then answering questions. I looked at it like; really man? i know the number off by heart, this was a waste of time.

yeah, it's a piece of paper now. literally just printed on regular A4 with a Government of Canada letterhead saying "I name have #123-456-789"

I only know because years ago mine finally cracked in half, so i went in and spent over an hour waiting then answering questions. I looked at it like; really man? i know the number off by heart, this was a waste of time.

Oh yeah, the piece of paper. They started doing that back in 2014, I think.

I always thought the SIN card was just a reminder for yourself for what your SIN# is. Paper copy accomplishes the same thing. I don't think I've ever had to show my SIN card to anyone.

I am hoping that the vaccination record will be electronic, linkable to your passport, with a paper card with a unique QR code so that the validity can be checked. Situations demanding high security (international travel) tied to the electronic record via passport. Medium security tied to the electronic record via the QR code. Low security (cinema, restaurants) just the paper without validation. This shouldn't have been floated by the politicians, they should have just done it. Hopefully the politicians and the politically correct crowd don't screw it up.
LOL

Canada can’t do this..

I have my doubts, too, although I'm quite certain that other countries are going to require proof of vaccination as a condition of entry (and Canada is probably going to do that as well), and it had better be sufficiently secure against counterfeiters, and that means someone had better come up with something.

I have my doubts, too, although I'm quite certain that other countries are going to require proof of vaccination as a condition of entry (and Canada is probably going to do that as well), and it had better be sufficiently secure against counterfeiters, and that means someone had better come up with something.
This could finally be a useful implementation of blockchain. Probably can't get something spun up in time for a single world wide distributed database though.

Mine split in half 40 years ago. Only had a rough time once, at the unEmployment Office when I told them the number verbally. Usually, they'd just check that the check digit works out, and write it down.

That answer is now "yes". And their whole family has it, and the husband's father is in hospital with it. And it's local (Dufferin County).
I'm still a no. Well except for Sophie Grégoire, but I don't really know her.

The current Yellow Book covers inoculations against diseases that are more virulent and more contagious than COVID-19, like measles and polio.

Just because COVID has gotten so much press lately doesn't mean the system will need to change for this disease du jour.

Restrictions for entry to a country's border has always been on a voluntary and honour-system basis. Apart from presenting the Yellow Book with the necessary inoculations, you may also be asked to fill out a questionnaire that asks you:

"Have you visited any of these countries in the last 6 months?"
"Will you be visiting a farm in our country during your stay?"

There are very limited safeguards or checks against misrepresentation, mainly just repercussions if caught.

And even then, the repercussions turn out to be as inconsequential as a rap on the knuckles, like the $1000 fine for those US tourists that flouted quarantine restrictions while traveling through Canada.

And even then, the repercussions turn out to be as inconsequential as a rap on the knuckles, like the $1000 fine for those US tourists that flouted quarantine restrictions while traveling through Canada.
Depends on where you travel i guess. Plenty of nice places to visit have draconian legal systems.

EkNarjxUwAEW6y5.jpg

If they’re going to do something so stupid I was making a COVID-19 vaccination document easily forgeable (which I suspect will be the case) I hope at least they put some serious hard ass fines in place for doing so.

Oh, what’s that, Mr Smith? You’re in the hospital for Covid19 but had a piece of paper in your pocket claiming you were vaccinated? Yeah, we checked with the doctors name you had on there - he doesn’t exist. That’ll be $50,000 please.

Problem is these whack jobs will end up in places like Skydome (where proof of vaccination will almost certainly be mandatory moving forward) and all it takes is 1 “patient zero” to start another spread....then that arsehole spreads to some other arsehole doing the same thing, then those 5-10 people who share with each other during the concert/baseball game/whatever spread to the other (likely) 30-50% of the population outside the stadium who refuse to or can’t (for legit medical reasons) get vaccinated themselves....and 2 years from now we’ll still be trying to stamp this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom