Comprehensive Technical Data -- Horsepower, Wet Weight, etc. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Comprehensive Technical Data -- Horsepower, Wet Weight, etc.

VifferFun

Site Supporter
Would anyone happen to know if a comprehensive dataset exists that contains comprehensive technical data for most modern (2000+) motorcycles by year, make, and model? Specifically, I'm looking for horsepower and wet weights. Preferably, it would be in a tabular format that could be imported into statistical software.

Ultimately, I would like to measure the correlation between power-to-weight ratios and accident frequency while controlling for other explanatory variables (age, gender, location, etc.). I would like to see if I could relax the Sport Bike Surcharge that is currently in effect with my employer (large Canadian insurance company), at least for the the "fringe" sport bikes if nothing else. This dataset doesn't have to be free, but would have to be pretty complete.

Does any such dataset exist? The best I could find online is something like this, but it doesn't have enough year/make/model combinations:

http://www.sportrider.com/weights_measurements/146_motorcycle_weights_measurements/

Thanks!

Interesting... if you're in a position to actually influence such a change I'd be willing to help out in some way.

I haven't seen such a list. The closest I've seen is wikipedia. They've got that data in a chart for most bike models. It would be a matter of compiling that info and hunting down the rest. Is wikipedia acceptable as a source though?

One thing I've noticed is that power claims are inconsistent from one report/review to another by as much as 5+ hp. Probably best to get this info direct from the manufacturer.

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I'm in a position to make such a change within my own company and will be doing an analysis of our motorcycle book this year.

I don't think that Wikipedia would be a source that is credible enough. I would also need a source that is pretty complete for all make/model/year combinations so that I could create a table that would automate rating (i.e. if someone comes for a quote, the broker/agent could enter the VIN and the system will automatically generate a power-to-weight ratio). Unfortunately, the table that I provided and the one provided by jeffjones seem to only how specific years (i.e. when the particular magazine reviewed the bike).

I don't think it really matters if the HP ratings are off by 3-5, since it likely won't result in many bikes being lumped into a different power-to-weight band anyway. For now, I would like to see if there is a correlation between power-to-weight and claims, and hopefully use this information to take some sport-touring bikes off of our blacklist. The difficulty is that my current book of business doesn't have many high power-to-weight bikes because they are currently restricted :(

Thanks!

I guess compiling this data model by model would be daunting and tedious. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I guess compiling this data model by model would be daunting and tedious. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Yeah, that's for sure. I have a friend who works for a company that aggregates automotive data, but unfortunately they don't track motorcycles :(

I'm sure if your in the industry you must have already contact the MMIC (http://www.mmic.ca/) All the motorcycle manufactures in canada are members of this council. This council collects sales and market data from all the manufactures and acts with them to lobby various government agencies in regards to new regulations, etc.

I'm sure they would be able to obtain or even propose to obtain this data from all the member manufacturers since it is in there best interest to help with easing insurance rates. As you can see from the stats on there site there is a strange decline in overall sales since around 2008 when insurance rates started to kill off street motorcycles in Canada. I'm sure if rates were to ease the manufactures would see an increase in sales bring more clients to insurance companies as well.

I know that the manufactures track HP numbers for each product model (even though it's not published) as well as weight's for every model produced. So this information should be available to you. As I'm sure your aware every VIN is specific to a certain model of motorcycle and it tells you the year of the bike as well. Automobile manufacturers utilize the same method. So once you have this identified in your systems it would be very easy to identify a certain bike model and than reference the HP/weight data and the accident data from your records.

So I'd say it's do able once you get your data. But I'd say you probably should start at the MMIC and get them behind you as this can only help the industry for all...Good luck !!

The EPA has all the data you require. I tried to find the link, but when the 2013 Ninja 300 was first release, everyone was speculating it would be Fi, and then someone provided a link to the EPA where it showed every Kawi model, horsepower, fuel system, wet and dry weights, etc. I'm sure that source would be flawless for your needs. I'll let you know if I can find the Ninja 300 link to the EPA, you could probably use the link to formulate a script based on model/year, etc.

-Jamie M.

Thanks for the info guys!

woodzee, I'm going to try contacting the MMIC to see if they have any data that I could purchase.

toysareforboys, I found the following link on the EPA website that has some very interesting information! Unfortunately, it seems to be focused specifically on the engine, so it doesn't provide the weight of the motorcycle. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong spot. Still very interesting though!

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/crttst.htm

toysareforboys, I found the following link on the EPA website that has some very interesting information! Unfortunately, it seems to be focused specifically on the engine, so it doesn't provide the weight of the motorcycle. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong spot. Still very interesting though!

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/crttst.htm
Hmmm, the link looks right. I opened the excel files, and didn't see any dry/wet weight. It would for sure be worth a call/e-mail, as I'm SURE their tables used to include that, perhaps they have last years complete files still, etc.

-Jamie M.

The EPA will have the engine information; the vehicle's registration information should include the GVWR ... It's on the VIN sticker. GVWR isn't the same as dry weight - it includes the load capacity - but at least they're all on an equal footing.

Back
Top Bottom