Close call in Muskoka | GTAMotorcycle.com

Close call in Muskoka

MudHog

Last weekend I was riding through Port Carling, on the way back to the cottage around 9:30pm, just after the sun had gone down. I was taking it easy because of the multiple deer I'd seen on the side of the road. Up ahead, I saw what I thought was a large dog sitting in the bushes beside the road. As I got closer it started running along beside me, and all of a sudden ran right in front of me and cut me off. It was the mangiest, gnarliest looking black bear I'd ever seen. I had to swerve a couple times to avoid a crash. Needless to say, I'm going to be extra careful when riding Muskoka roads in the future, especially at night.

Last weekend I was riding through Port Carling, on the way back to the cottage around 9:30pm, just after the sun had gone down. I was taking it easy because of the multiple deer I'd seen on the side of the road. Up ahead, I saw what I thought was a large dog sitting in the bushes beside the road. As I got closer it started running along beside me, and all of a sudden ran right in front of me and cut me off. It was the mangiest, gnarliest looking black bear I'd ever seen. I had to swerve a couple times to avoid a crash. Needless to say, I'm going to be extra careful when riding Muskoka roads in the future, especially at night.

When out in the sticks, avoid night riding if u can. When I'm gonna be on my trip, I'm gonna pack it up as soon as sun goes down. I cant enjoy the scenery anyway

When out in the sticks, avoid night riding if u can. When I'm gonna be on my trip, I'm gonna pack it up as soon as sun goes down. I cant enjoy the scenery anyway
+1 ... Heading up to Kirkland lake next month sometime and plan to do the same.

Yeah I love riding at night but in the sticks be it northern Ont or Penn or NY State - too many big critters. :confused1:
Had deer cross in front of me twice in PA - once in the morning once in the evening

nevermind night time.. me and a few guys had a black bear run across the road during the day!! that was a sight! lol

Had a black bear lumber across the highway in front of us (2 bikes) last Tuesday east of Wawa. He behaved himself, as did we. :)

I had to wait for a wolf to get out my way one morning. After I realised I wasn't watching a very large mangy odd looking German Shephard I thought about whether or not it might be dangerous.

this is probably my greatest fear. running into a bear, literally. Or low siding in front of some hungry, gigantic creature.

This is exactly why I am careful riding at night in the sticks. And now I read this, might avoid it all together. Thanks for the reference. Good you made it out alive man.

I had to wait for a wolf to get out my way one morning. After I realised I wasn't watching a very large mangy odd looking German Shephard I thought about whether or not it might be dangerous.

Where the hell you see a wolf around here?? I'd love to see one, closest I've got are some little *** coyotes

Where the hell you see a wolf around here?? I'd love to see one, closest I've got are some little *** coyotes

Believe it or not...Smith's Falls, halfway between Ottawa and Kingston. I didn't believe it myself until a friend told me her dad had seen them every now and then around there. I've seen coyotes before and this was much much bigger. My first thought was "which silly sod has his big mangy dog off lead at this time of the morning" (it was pretty early, no traffic about). The thing that got me was that it wasn't scared at all, just loped across a field then onto the highway in front of me, stood and looked at me for a bit then loped off into the woods.

Apparently you can go hear wolves in Bon Echo park at the right time of the year too. That's a nice ride too to get there.

Haven't you heard about the Muskoka Bear Gangs?
They send out the scruffiest, lowest bear in the gang to run on the road and make you crash.
Then the rest of them jump out of the bushes and eat your carcass.
Glad you got away alive!!

Meh, I see dozens of bears on Church St. every weekend.

Haven't you heard about the Muskoka Bear Gangs?
They send out the scruffiest, lowest bear in the gang to run on the road and make you crash.
Then the rest of them jump out of the bushes and eat your carcass.
Glad you got away alive!!

I had a feeling that might have been the case... At least if I hit a deer and go down I might be the one getting a meal out of it...

Back
Top Bottom