Clean slate garage / Shed recommendations | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Clean slate garage / Shed recommendations

No the question is; will it turn your house into a big fuse.
Hydro is all about grounding, if your house can't ground the power coming into the house she burns.

No the question is; will it turn your house into a big fuse.
Hydro is all about grounding, if your house can't ground the power coming into the house she burns.
Thanks for the confidence builder.

My light kit came today.This is going to be awesome.I connected 3 of them together (like long lego) just for giggles.

Last edited:
You can check out JWE lighting - just outside of St. Jacobs / St. Clements....

They've got good stuff - I have 4 of their LED light bars in my garage and they're hella bright.

You can check out JWE lighting - just outside of St. Jacobs / St. Clements....

They've got good stuff - I have 4 of their LED light bars in my garage and they're hella bright.

Good to know. I’ll have a garage soon that will need some updating and new lighting....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racedeck.
Sweet thanks. Looks very good. However looks like something I'd need to level out the floor perfectly for. It's definitely uneven in some spots.

That's a project for another year. LoL.

Sweet thanks. Looks very good. However looks like something I'd need to level out the floor perfectly for. It's definitely uneven in some spots.

That's a project for another year. LoL.
My floor is far from level. Racedeck looks great, but it's very expensive. Can't weld on it. My wife's car is in there all winter.i just squeegee it out and give it a good way in the spring.

Concrete is still the most reasonably priced building material that exists, nothing else comes close for cost, durability or ability to withstand compressive loads, that's why it makes a great garage floor, building foundation, hydro dam, road bed or bomb shelter.

Concrete is still the most reasonably priced building material that exists, nothing else comes close for cost, durability or ability to withstand compressive loads, that's why it makes a great garage floor, building foundation, hydro dam, road bed or bomb shelter.
If you are starting from scratch, it's very hard to argue with your suggestion for a concrete floor with embedded heating loops. Even if you don't bother filling the glycol loop right away, it can be easily heated later. Most of us are stuck with an existing slab that is in decent shape so the cost to break it up and cart it away and repour is too steep.

If you are starting from scratch, it's very hard to argue with your suggestion for a concrete floor with embedded heating loops. Even if you don't bother filling the glycol loop right away, it can be easily heated later. Most of us are stuck with an existing slab that is in decent shape so the cost to break it up and cart it away and repour is too steep.
Rent a jack hammer, the broken concrete makes good clean fill, that's how we always did it.
Elevate the floor if you can anyway, if you are going to heat it, it is suppose to be sitting entirely on a thick layer of styrofoam, plus styrofoam on the outside of the footing and extend outwards for about a meter away from the building sub-grade to the backfill.

I'm charging my excavator batteries right now so I can play demolition man and tear down an entire building :|
Then I have to extract 2 oil tanks without rupturing them and clean the whole site up nice and tidy, is some nasty work too.

Electric cables can be put into saw cuts if you know how to do it right. Most don't. Be prepared to spend a day saw cutting the slots, choking on the dust and fumes. The demolition part of replacing a slab is worse than pouring the new slab.

Retrofitting a garage floor in a residential garage for in floor heating is just nutty. Yes it would be nice in a new build, as a "do over" it makes zero economic sense
If you don't need a garage heated you are correct, if you plan to park 40 grand worth of tractor in there and expect to plow snow with it throughout the coldest part of the winter season, the heated garage will pay for itself.

... not just in comfort but in tractor repairs.

Last edited:
Retrofitting a garage floor in a residential garage for in floor heating is just nutty. Yes it would be nice in a new build, as a "do over" it makes zero economic sense
If you are retrofitting a garage floor, the biggest bang for the buck is underslab insulation. R12 underslab cuts garage heating costs by about 1/3rd.

I heat a well insulated 30x30x8 garage with a small construction heater. I keep a standby temp of 6c, in an hour my 5KW electric heater can get it to a comfortable 18c. The garage used 1282kwh, I'm guessing heating was about 1100kwh, about $170 for the season. The cost of fitting and maintaining a boiler/tubes, gas furnace, or underslab heating cables would never yeild a return for me.

No heated floor in my cave. Just lots of insulation and a 4800w 240v heater and an infra red heater in the ceiling.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom