city vs. country vs. 400 series riding - risk level | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

city vs. country vs. 400 series riding - risk level

Some interesting feedback here, I was thinking about this same question. I recently started a new job in Toronto and I plan on commuting as much as possible by motorcycle. My route is a mixture of all those, country then 400 then city.

Still not sure of the best motorcycle route though, it'll be some trial and error but so far by car the 400 through Vaughan seems to be the most dangerous, drivers are either aggressive or absent minded in that stretch.
When i'm in Vaughan i go down Dufferin to Allan>Eglington>Avenue road

When i'm in Vaughan i go down Dufferin to Allan>Eglington>Avenue road

Unfortunately that's the other side of town for me. I'm going from Bolton to down near Rogers and Weston. Straight down Weston would be good but that road looks and feels like it was bombed, horrible road surfaces south of 401.

I'll have to try a few different routes, maybe going straight down 50 and cutting across Albion might be better.

Unfortunately that's the other side of town for me. I'm going from Bolton to down near Rogers and Weston. Straight down Weston would be good but that road looks and feels like it was bombed, horrible road surfaces south of 401.

I'll have to try a few different routes, maybe going straight down 50 and cutting across Albion might be better.
Oh I thought you said down the 400 heading downtown.

We did major infrastructure upgrades to stonebridge on the weekend,
much safer now you can hit it really fast to get a run at the rock outcrop on the other side
cut risk by at least 50% lol

fixedbridge.jpg

To me, it's not just the road but also the conditions.

For example, 400 series are relatively low risk when traffic is light and flowing, but slow things to 80ish and the danger from other drivers goes up exponentially. Speeds are still high enough to be easily fatal, but now you have cranky drivers being unpredictable, impatient and aggressive. Speed differences between lanes, trucks missing you in a blind spot that you can't escape from quickly enough, lane hoppers, etc.

City streets have a high crash risk, but speeds are lower so fatalities less common. I personally love the cut and thrust of urban riding, but it's not for everyone. Backroads get dangerous at dusk with some animals and drivers whose eyes haven't yet adjusted. I'm extra cautious on suburban arterial roads, as speeds can creep to 80 easily, and other drivers are usually overly comfortable because of the open spaces.

My favourite is secondary rural when quiet but that's when they're most dangerous at cross roads. The locals think the rush is over and run stops or barely check for traffic.

One thing I find about riding in the "country".
I live in a farming community. Every spring and fall the farmers fertilize their fields, sometimes spreading manure in the fields. LOTS OF MANURE... which means over loaded manure spreaders... which leads to manure fall off the wagons as they go around CORNERS.
... so here's bitzz, all excited to get out in early spring or late fall, screaming through that corner only to find **** ALL OVER THE ROAD.
If I die doing this, I left instructions my gravestone will say "The **** finally got him"

**** = slang for excrement
Friend was selling his bike and the buyer wanted to see it inaction but didn't have a licence. They agreed with the buyer riding pilion. Going through curve they his some slippery stuff and went down with the buyer getting the worst of the road rash.

The bike was OK and no serious injuries so they road to my buddy'e place where his sister cleaned up the wounds. The guy bought the bike.

A couple of years later the sister was at a job interview and the interviewer said she looked familiar.

Yeah she said, "A couple of years back I picked some gravel out of your rear end"

My favourite is secondary rural when quiet but that's when they're most dangerous at cross roads. The locals think the rush is over and run stops or barely check for traffic.

I can attest to this. Exactly where and what happened to me last spring.

Here you go:
1615001020907.png

highway is probably the safest, traffic all going in the same direction and way less distractions. Personally i just make sure i'm moving slightly :devilish:faster then everyone else.
I tend to agree, highway can be safest and that moving slightly faster than everyone else makes sense. But have you noticed recently how fast people are moving in and around the city? I find drivers' speeds tend to be higher closer to the city when volume doesn't slow everyone down. No matter how fast you go there's always someone going faster.

Back
Top Bottom