city vs. country vs. 400 series riding - risk level | GTAMotorcycle.com

city vs. country vs. 400 series riding - risk level

Freddy F

Site Supporter
I'd like to get people's opinions on where they feel its safer or more dangerous to ride: on GTA city or suburbian streets , on the 400 series highways, or outside the city on secondary 2-4 lane roads/highways.

Your risk increases exponentially per intersection
So i'd say city/burbs

GTA city - most dangerous

400 city - 2nd most dangerous

rural/secondary - 3rd

rural 400 - 4th
Mostly agree with this. Only caveat is what does he mean by most dangerous? I think your list is correct for a crash. For a fatal crash, rural/secondary moves up to first or second. You have less intersections in the country but higher speeds so the impact is worse.

I believe locational and situational awareness is more important than anything to do with where you are on the map. I’ve ridden a long time, don’t fear/ favour any particular area.

My riding style changes to suit the surroundings, kept me upright and dent free for more than 4 decades.

highway is probably the safest, traffic all going in the same direction and way less distractions. Personally i just make sure i'm moving slightly :devilish:faster then everyone else.

highway is probably the safest, traffic all going in the same direction and way less distractions. Personally i just make sure i'm moving slightly :devilish:faster then everyone else.

Exactly! I’d rather be slightly faster than everyone else than have traffic constantly coming up behind me.

I think it is the least safest, faster speeds, more idiots, more vehicles, larger vehicles, and construction (lane shifting, and shrinking)
Last year I avoided the 401 completely because of the construction which had the lanes all ripped apart.

You're unsafe at all times, where you're driving makes no difference

In addition... So much depends on your skill level and the degree of ass-hattery you engage in...

One thing to consider about rural riding... If you do crash the wait for medical assistance is possibly much longer than in a urban area... That is "if" someone finds you.

In our part of the world your big highways are very well maintained. Rural roads can be rife with hazards.
Sand, pot holes, wildlife...

can't argue with sburns' logic.

I think it is the least safest, faster speeds, more idiots, more vehicles, larger vehicles, and construction (lane shifting, and shrinking)
Last year I avoided the 401 completely because of the construction which had the lanes all ripped apart.
perhaps you don't ride downtown enough :sneaky: i feel like every time i make it out i level up. heck we didn't even start discussing taxis yet.

at least the highway provides the option to speed up, doing that on the city street is asking for it.

Last edited:
To me, it's not just the road but also the conditions.

For example, 400 series are relatively low risk when traffic is light and flowing, but slow things to 80ish and the danger from other drivers goes up exponentially. Speeds are still high enough to be easily fatal, but now you have cranky drivers being unpredictable, impatient and aggressive. Speed differences between lanes, trucks missing you in a blind spot that you can't escape from quickly enough, lane hoppers, etc.

City streets have a high crash risk, but speeds are lower so fatalities less common. I personally love the cut and thrust of urban riding, but it's not for everyone. Backroads get dangerous at dusk with some animals and drivers whose eyes haven't yet adjusted. I'm extra cautious on suburban arterial roads, as speeds can creep to 80 easily, and other drivers are usually overly comfortable because of the open spaces.

perhaps you don't ride downtown enough :sneaky: i feel like every time i make it out i level up. heck we didn't even start discussing taxis yet.

at least the highway provides the option to speed up, doing that on the city street is asking for it.
All the time, I use lakeshore as my bypass for the 401 and I actually I find it quite easy all together. There is so much congestion and slow traffic, and construction it's hard to get into trouble, and for jerks to make dumb moves. ?‍♂️

I try to avoid Toronto and most of GTA . I go to the 407 to cross toronto . The 401 corridor through Toronto is full of truly bad drivers . Once out of the GTA most roads are pretty good .

I think people underestimate the risk/danger out here in the country. There's certainly less traffic and thus fewer opportunities for a collision than riding in the GTA, but it seems people let their guard down or up their speed (or both).

There's plenty of unexpected stuff, crap on the road (sometimes the real, slippery stuff), slow moving machinery, blind curves, hidden driveways/intersections and even the above noted zoned out or cranked up guys. People don't expect traffic on country roads so they enter a road with only a cursory glance in the direction of ongoing traffic.

I often see cruisers riding side-by-side on Hwy. #2 with one guy clinging to/hanging over the center line. He wouldn't do that in the city or on the 401 but feels that out here he can live his Easy Rider wet dream. It makes me cringe to think of what could happen if an approaching driver sneezed, spilled coffee, turned to look out the window or anything else that would cause them to get close to or cross the center line.

I feel more aware / cautious on the rural roads due to horse buggies, farm equipment, cyclists etc so in a blind corner or roads with steep hills I have no clue wtf is coming at me. People doo cross solid lines to pass these folks and I've done it too bahaha. And the next thing I hate is places with lots of round abouts like Franklin Blvd in Cambridge.

I often see cruisers riding side-by-side on Hwy. #2 with one guy clinging to/hanging over the center line. He wouldn't do that in the city or on the 401 but feels that out here he can live his Easy Rider wet dream. It makes me cringe to think of what could happen if an approaching driver sneezed, spilled coffee, turned to look out the window or anything else that would cause them to get close to or cross the center line.
I don't know about here, but in my circles of sportbike riders in BC, somebody crossing the centre line was probably the most common cause of serious crashes. Either the bike or an oncoming car runs wide or cuts a corner on a twisty road, most of which are blind, with predictable results.

It's a mostly manageable problem if you take the right precautions, but not always. Anyone who couldn't keep it between the mustard and the mayo wouldn't get invited back, and wide corner entry is critical for seeing what's coming, but sometimes poop happens...

Back
Top Bottom