Chromebook anyone? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chromebook anyone?

Mad Mike

I was a Staples picking up a few things for a staff meeting and saw some Lenovo Chromebooks on clearance for $125. I figured why not and bought a few to try, gave one to my son, put one in the garage and one in my office.

They are an awesome deal! Im running Google everything and Office 365. fast, and simple.

Is anyone else using a Chromebook?
20230410_231130.jpg

Not using a Chromebook but I do like a Lenovo laptop over any other laptop brand. But it must be the Thinkpad Business line.

I was a Staples picking up a few things for a staff meeting and saw some Lenovo Chromebooks on clearance for $125. I figured why not and bought a few to try, gave one to my son, put one in the garage and one in my office.

They are an awesome deal! Im running Google everything and Office 365. fast, and simple.

Is anyone else using a Chromebook?
View attachment 60244
One kid used one for online school. We have a few from the neighbour with no current purpose. May put one on each work bench.

I was looking at a Chromebook for a dirtbike laptop - something that if I bashed in, I wouldn't care about.

Unfortunately the specs are too low for what I want to be doing on the road.

Settled on an Asus L210, stuck an SSD drive in it and I can do basic video editing + Photoshop on it. About $250.
I'm done with video editing... too much time, with too little reward. I have learned to skinny down my tech needs to what I need 99% of the time. These days that's browsing, email and MS office-related stuff. My work computer does that all fine, I'm new to Chromebook... I could survive on this $125 device as easily as my $3K corporate-issued laptop.

No affiliation, I'm just Joe user. My perspective on Chromebooks was they were toys - tablets with keyboards. After using one for a few days, I am impressed -- it's a real computer and it does everything I need.

Bought a 11" Lenovo back around christmas. It works.

Bought a cheapo one for the kid in case they have to study from home.

Haven’t opened it yet but it was on a sweet sale at shoppers a while back.

Probably should open it up to check what it actually is.

Yup...bought an 11" IdeaPad back in October for $199 at Best Buy...my main desktop was acting up and I didn't want a full fledged laptop as I have one from/for school, so bought this...it's pretty cool...can't do video/photo editing like on my desktop, but for surfing, streaming etc. it works great...

Yup...bought an 11" IdeaPad back in October for $199 at Best Buy...my main desktop was acting up and I didn't want a full fledged laptop as I have one from/for school, so bought this...it's pretty cool...can't do video/photo editing like on my desktop, but for surfing, streaming etc. it works great...

You can get rudimentary photo editing apps on the Play Store.

Keeping your expectations in check, Chromebooks are awesome little devices. I have used a few over the years for just general computer tasks and they all perform as expected. Also a great option for travel versus a $1000.00 laptop. (based on needs)

Just install Chrome OS on an old laptop laying around and you will get a Chromebook ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Otherwise, if the only thing you need is a browser - it's a good option.

Just install Chrome OS on an old laptop laying around and you will get a Chromebook ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Otherwise, if the only thing you need is a browser - it's a good option.
True, as long as you have old laptops just laying around...

True, as long as you have old laptops just laying around...
There are lots if you ask. Old company laptops are often given away (sometimes with hard drive removed as that's cheaper than wiping). A smallish ssd and you have something useful. We have something like five laptops and three chromebooks at home. Three of those see regular use, a few have special tasks (bike trainer, travel computer, etc) and a few have no current use. As they get too slow to be used as daily drivers, new ones get purchased and the old ones are fine for occasional use.

Ballers...

For those of you who have tech lying around doing nothing, try giving your local school a call to see if they could use it (or know of a family in need that could benefit from it)...obviously clean up the hard drive and delete personal stuff, but if it works, I'm sure they could find a use for it... :D

For those of you who have tech lying around doing nothing, try giving your local school a call to see if they could use it (or know of a family in need that could benefit from it)...obviously clean up the hard drive and delete personal stuff, but if it works, I'm sure they could find a use for it... :D
Just hope the new user can't undelete. A guy I know bought a used PC at a flea market and it was 99% set for identity theft of the previous owner.

Back
Top Bottom