Cheap GoPro setup. Do you action cam? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cheap GoPro setup. Do you action cam?

Has the Sena gone up in price? I vaguely remember it being around $160ish last season? I ended up buying a (GoPro knockoff) Gitup G2, which had gyro stabilization and was cheap. I am pretty happy with it.

They may have updated it I think. Not sure.

I looked at the yi cam and the other chinese go pro clones but they are still boxy cams. Good for on bike but bad for on helmet. Helmet manufacturers go to great lengths to make an aerodynamic product then we go and stick a small box on the top. Doesn't make sense to me.

Only downside to the Sena is battery life. You’ll get a few hours out of it (maybe 3 I think at a push) but there’s no user changeable battery so you’ll have to recharge it. I’ll take that as a payoff for it’s smaller form factor and more aerodynamic shape. If you want to v-log it does come with a mic that you can put in your helmet. If the drift has a user changeable battery that would be a big plus. The Sena is really light though.

Edit: I like that the Sena is just off and on too. No dicking about with 4K super slo mo fade in effect crap.

is the Sena waterproof? How much does it usually cost?

is the Sena waterproof? How much does it usually cost?
Waterproof but not weatherproof. Says -10 C, that's no good for snowmobiling. My Contour Roam has done - 35 C and never stopped working. Just an FYI for winter users...

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

[update: wifi does work, correction below]

I just bought the Drift Ghost X to replace my Mobius 90. Found out that the Drift App doesn’t work on IOS 11+. If I would’ve known that ahead of time I might have selected another camera - without IOS 11+ support, the wi-if is useless to me.

Last edited:
I just bought the Drift Ghost X to replace my Mobius 90. Found out that the Drift App doesn’t work on IOS 11+. If I would’ve known that ahead of time I might have selected another camera - without IOS 11+ support, the wi-if is useless to me.
That's unfortunate. Not to downplay what you spent money on but do you really need wifi?

[update: wifi does work, correction below]

The wifi/app would make it easy to aim the camera, download content without messing with cables, etc.

Without an IOS compatible app, can’t do all of that, so back to connecting via cable to get the content or popping the card out. Should’ve just bought a cheaper camera in the first place.

Two thumbs down for the Drift Ghost X

Last edited:
/shrug

i have android, so the app is working and i still use the cable to transfer to my laptop. i will concede i did use it to help set the initial angle.

Update: My bad, you have to use the ‘Drift Live’ app, not the ‘Drift App’.

In my defence, the Drift App and Drift Connect app have the new Drift logo, and the Drift Connect app details says to use the other Drift App for the Ghost X camera.

Using the Drive Life app, I can connect to the camera via wifi, can configure all camera settings, and download videos or photos.

There’s also a Live stream option. I’ll save that for the next Moto Social, LoL

Here’s a short sample from my Mobius 90 camera (no longer available to purchase)

I’ll try to post something from the Drift Ghost X tomorrow. Think I’ll need to start to address the wind noise...

Last edited:
Here’s a short sample from my Mobius 90 camera (no longer available to purchase)

I’ll try to post something from the Drift Ghost X tomorrow. Think I’ll need to start to address the wind noise...
Turn mic sensitivity down?

Interesting thread, I've been thinking of getting a GoPro but for my uses the prices are a bit steep as this is just nice to have thing.
Are the alternatives equally as good but less expensive.

Interesting thread, I've been thinking of getting a GoPro but for my uses the prices are a bit steep as this is just nice to have thing.
Are the alternatives equally as good but less expensive.
Can be, depends on your needs.

I personally use mine for accident/situational recordings, i could care less about footage for youtube etc so i don't need 10k resolution @1000FPS. Image stabilization is nice (no head bob/bike movement in the video) but again, in my situation it doesn't matter.

You could get a camera in a GoPro like package for as little as $80 if the above conditions are not important for you.

Regarding Drifts - The profile is much nicer to stick on your helmet, depending on the shape of your lid you may be able to get most of your helmet out of the way of the video (which is why i enjoy chin mounted, nothing obstructs it). But since my current lid is not chin mount friendly and i'm too lazy to fab something to make it stick i went back to the Drift.

I bought this specific Drift because it has 5 hr battery life (upgrade able to an 8hr pack if needed). Makes it ideal for an all day/weekend outing. Most of the classic GoPro styles are about 1-1.5hrs per battery. You can get a few and swap as you go but there's something to be said for utility.

Here's a short clip from my new Drift Ghost X. Even with the mic sensitivity set to the lowest (1), the wind noise at speed is an issue - will try some foam and fur before going to an external mic... No big deal from 'dash cam' use perspective.

I did get questioned about it -

The wifi and iphone app is good.

With the Mobius I had to mount it half-way up on the helmet to get the picture straight. With the rotating lens on the Drift, I can mount it low down and rotate the lens to adjust for the skewed angle that the camera sits at.

Back
Top Bottom