Cheap GoPro setup. Do you action cam? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cheap GoPro setup. Do you action cam?

With the Mobius I had to mount it half-way up on the helmet to get the picture straight. With the rotating lens on the Drift, I can mount it low down and rotate the lens to adjust for the skewed angle that the camera sits at.
Yes the angle and lens rotation is really helpful.

Can be, depends on your needs.

I personally use mine for accident/situational recordings, i could care less about footage for youtube etc so i don't need 10k resolution @1000FPS. Image stabilization is nice (no head bob/bike movement in the video) but again, in my situation it doesn't matter.

You could get a camera in a GoPro like package for as little as $80 if the above conditions are not important for you.
I will have to start looking into it. I believe image stabilization would be pretty important feature. I just want to mount it on the bike not the helmet. But judging from FLSTC clip it seem pretty good.

Here's a short clip from my new Drift Ghost X. Even with the mic sensitivity set to the lowest (1), the wind noise at speed is an issue - will try some foam and fur before going to an external mic... No big deal from 'dash cam' use perspective.
Looks pretty good, and I think you said it didn't have image stabilization?

You getting ready for "2019 Observations" ;)

Sub $200 Go pro Hero session. Very small and compact. Battery life 3 hr ish

Here's a short clip from my new Drift Ghost X. Even with the mic sensitivity set to the lowest (1), the wind noise at speed is an issue - will try some foam and fur before going to an external mic... No big deal from 'dash cam' use perspective.

I did get questioned about it -

The wifi and iphone app is good.

With the Mobius I had to mount it half-way up on the helmet to get the picture straight. With the rotating lens on the Drift, I can mount it low down and rotate the lens to adjust for the skewed angle that the camera sits at.

How waterproof is it? Looked at the pictures on amazon and seems like if you want to vlog/attach a mic you need to open the bottom piece and plug a usb cable

Looks pretty good, and I think you said it didn't have image stabilization?

You getting ready for "2019 Observations" ;)
It does not, have to spring for the 4K model for that tech. My video may be a better indication (haven't watched his yet).

How waterproof is it? Looked at the pictures on amazon and seems like if you want to vlog/attach a mic you need to open the bottom piece and plug a usb cable
Water resistant, light rain only without the case.

Hmm i am debating if i should get. The first 2, i would need to mount on side of the helmet buy Go Pro i can do chin mount.

Drift X

Contour Roam 2

Go Pro Hero+

What AGV do you have? I know what you mean about the chin due to it being very pointed, but that does not affect anything in terms of mounting. You just need to get some materials to make the proper mold and you are good! As long as there is room between bottom of chin and chin mount you are good.
There are 2 ways around this to get the mold:
1. Surgru (is available at Canadian Tire now)
- Quite simple to use. Take the 3M tape off your rounded go pro mount, mush up the putty, apply to mount and helmet, trim, and let sit for 24 hours.
2. JB Weld Plastic epoxy putty.
- This is what I used because it is extremely strong. Take 3M tape off the curved Gopro clip. Masking tape on ur helmet where you want to mount go pro. Mush up the putty and mount the clip on ur helmet where desired. Wait half hour and you can peel the masking tape off your helmet with the mould on the Gopro clip. From here you will have an exact flush mount to the helmet surface. Get some 3M tape and mount the molded go pro piece to your helmet. Wait over night and your done!

Do you have a picture of how you doing it? I recently bought a AGV k3

Bought the Drift Ghost X, couldn't be happier!
Can this be charged while filming on the bike? e.g. through usb port?

Do you have a picture/description of the mount point?

Can it attach to a ram mount somehow?

The item's site doesn't show the mount point, and is kind of difficult to negotiate.

My Drift Ghost X came with this mount - both a curved base and a flat base is included. The velcro above is where I had my Mobius-90 mounted.

daGr5LM.jpg

PeTp68w.jpg

The camera-side of the mount unscrews - it's a 1/4-20 thread so many other options are possible. I might craft something that attaches the camera closer to the helmet (lower profile).

Notice the white arrow which shows that I've rotated the lens to make the filming verticle despite the mount being canted.

If you turn the wi-fi on, you can connect to the camera with the app to change settings, view the image, and even live-stream if desired.

Can this be charged while filming on the bike? e.g. through usb port?

Do you have a picture/description of the mount point?

Can it attach to a ram mount somehow?

The item's site doesn't show the mount point, and is kind of difficult to negotiate.
  1. Yes, however i think you'll compromise the water resistance since you'll have to remove a seal to get to it and attach the cable.
    1. I should note the default battery length is 5 hours with an extended 8 hour battery available for purchase, there should not really be a need to charge it unless you`re touring i guess,
  2. Will do when i get home, but i mounted it essentially over my lower right ear, i can actually see the tip of the lens in my vision if i crank my eyes to the right.
  3. Ram Mount? No, but they do have their own mounts available (the 'clip in' point is not the generic GoPro format, seems proprietary).
    1. Mounts
@Baggsy

Last edited:
Gonna give the Drift Ghost X a try....there is a coupon on Amazon right now and $90 US isn't that bad.

Gonna give the Drift Ghost X a try....there is a coupon on Amazon right now and $90 US isn't that bad.
Decent, whats the shipping?

They're not being very nice to this company in the Amazon reviews. Again, how is a helmet cam without image stabilization even possible? Other complaints...it's fragile and buggy and locks up a lot. I ran the reviews through Fakespot and they scored an A...so they're legit reviews.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

They're not being very nice to this company in the Amazon reviews. Again, how is a helmet cam without image stabilization even possible? Other complaints...it's fragile and buggy and locks up a lot. I ran the reviews through Fakespot and they scored an A...so they're legit reviews.

[/URL]

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

lol. first review i glanced at;

complained about the beeps it makes turning it on and off
wifi password

if that's the quality of the reviews i think we're good.

Back
Top Bottom