Cheap Ebay Replacement Mirrors | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cheap Ebay Replacement Mirrors

overkill13

Site Supporter
I broke the right side mirror stem on my 2005 zx6r. I ordered some inexpensive mirrors off ebay that were from a seller in China.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/33067792661...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1474wt_934

While I waited for shipping I made a little splint for my broken mirror. A couple nails some flat stiff metal pieces from Home Depot, all wrapped in duct tape and then electrical tape so it's all black and nobody looks at you funny. Red Green would be disappointed in my attempt to hide the duct tape but otherwise I think he would approve:

100_0933.jpg100_0934.jpg

Once the mirrors arrived I compared them to my old mirrors. The OEM mirrors are painted black while the Chinese knock-offs are powder coated. The mirror is a slightly different shape but since you get both it's not an issue. The stem is the same length and the studs on the base are the same length and thread as the original. Focal length of the lens is the same. The original has a foam cap to prevent water getting into the stem pivot while the replacement does not.

100_0927.jpg100_0928.jpg

Like with many cheap Chinese knock-off parts the finish is not the best. There are some minor defects in the surface which are powder coated over. Nobody will notice unless they are seriously nit picking your bike.

The threads on the studs are lightly powder coated and need to be cleaned before the install. If you have a tap and die set use the M6X1.0 die (assuming you are using the same mirrors). If you don't have a tap and die set, go to home depot and get some M6X1.0 nuts (get six or eight). If your bike takes different mirrors than this, take your OEM mirror and get nuts that fit on the studs as the size and thread may be different than mine. First use a wire brush to attemt to clean the threads. Then thread the new nuts onto the new mirror until you get half way down or they get stiff, whichever comes first. If they get stiff pull the nut off and blow out the bits then put it back on again and go a half to one full turn until stiff and repeat until half way down. Use a new nut if the threads start to get damaged and another when you start a new stud. Use the OEM nuts for the final install

Once the mirrors were installed I adjusted them and went for a test ride. On my bike at around 5000 RPM the mirrors begin to vibrate. Still usable but pretty blurry at 6000 RPM on the 401. Grabbing the base did nothing but when I grab the stem the vibration is reduced. I attempted to tighten the stalk to mount bolts but it didn't seem to help. I will be looking into installing some rubber washers underneath the mirror base to help with this issue.

The powder coating on these isn't the best. I attempted some modifications to eliminate the vibration and found the coating is fairly easy to chip off. I used some clamps so I probably shouldn't complain although I did use a rag to protect it. Probably not an issue for riding.

I will update once I try some washers to dampen the vibrations. All in all, they are better than I expected for $25 a pair and considering that OEM mirrors are $100 each I can't really complain. Big thumbs up here.

Last edited:
I took the time today to attempt to reduce the vibration at 6000RPM. I found that the rubber washers were too soft and were tearing apart when I tightened the nuts down to an appropriate torque.

I purchased a stair tread for four dollars at Lowes and traced around my mirror base to make a pad for underneath. Any piece of flat floor mat would work. I was less than impressed with the results so I cut another and put it between the fairing and the bracket that the mirror and fairing mounts too and also cut two small pieces (aprox 1 inch by 1 inch) for each stud on the mirror to act as the rubber washers. When all is said and done both mirrors have about a quarter inch of rubber on each side of the mounting bracket and there is a noticeable improvement in the vibration but it certainly is not as stable as the stock mirrors. I had hoped for better vibration reduction, but again for an overall price of $30 a pair, it's a better price than OEM.

I bought two pairs of Chinese-made mirrors off ebay, for something around $25-29 SHIPPED. One pair was broken (mirrors would not adjust, as they were completely stuck in some weird position), no problemos, 3 weeks later another pair showed up. As you mentioned, finish is not the best, but I only noticed poor finish on the edges of the casings, the powdercoating is chipping off. No vibrations problems here (F4i).

Bought some of these chinese mirrors for a F4....worked great. Dealership wanted $120ish /EA. The china stuff was $60 / pair or less. and it worked great.

which ones were they? because my stock mirrors vibrate badly!!!

i'm not sure which ebay seller it was. it was a direct oem looking mirror.

the OEM had a slightly diff finish, these OEM knock offs were pretty close.

Used them for a few months, then sold that bike away. I think the new owner still has those mirrors.

Try moving the mirrors into a position where you like them and can see behind you well enough.
Then take clear silicon sealant and fill in the gap around the mirror and the housing.

Trick has been used for years on v-twins that make lots of vibes...

Try moving the mirrors into a position where you like them and can see behind you well enough.
Then take clear silicon sealant and fill in the gap around the mirror and the housing.

Trick has been used for years on v-twins that make lots of vibes...

There is no gap between the mirror and housing like on a car. The mirror is mounted directly to the housing.

Unless you are referring to the mirror shaft and the mounting pivot.

Last edited:
There is no gap between the mirror and housing like on a car. The mirror is mounted directly to the housing.

Unless you are referring to the mirror shaft and the mounting pivot.

I would like to say I bought some China mirrors and the mirror vibrated out of the housing on the freeway ... LOL... I actually have the housing at home with no mirror, you can see the glue they used on the back of it, clearly crappy-azz glue...

great review OP! thx for the info

Back
Top Bottom