Chain Lube/Oil | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chain Lube/Oil

I have a new Kawi 250 with mileage approaching 500km. The dealership told me lube up my chain after i reach 500km. Just wondering what to look for in chain lube in terms of brand and kind and whatever else i need to know. Also, after lubing up, when's the next time i should do it? Thanks.

DuPont Teflon Multi-Use (blue can) - Find it at Lowe's.. It's actually better for chains than their "Chain Saver", and in any case 1/2 the price of a "motorcycle-specific" chain lube, while outperforming it by leaps and bounds.

multiuse_new.jpg

Personal experience.. Chainsaver is thicker and it attracts more dirt.. Not as much as Maxima, but still.. Multi-use keeps the chain lubricated but also reasonably clean. Since friction from the dirt is one of the factors in wearing out a chain, it's only logical. My chain has over 25,000km on it, all but 20,000 with Multi-Use and I haven't had to adjust the slack in 2 seasons, running on 3 so far. Slack is still within specs.

Personal experience.. Chainsaver is thicker and it attracts more dirt.. Not as much as Maxima, but still.. Multi-use keeps the chain lubricated but also reasonably clean. Since friction from the dirt is one of the factors in wearing out a chain, it's only logical. My chain has over 25,000km on it, all but 20,000 with Multi-Use and I haven't had to adjust the slack in 2 seasons, running on 3 so far. Slack is still within specs.

I've used both, and am currently using Chainsaver. I just use less Chansaver than I used to use of the multi-lube.

Both = excellent - can't go to far wrong with either one.

If you want to lube your chain, use 90 weight gear oil. If you want to keep your rear wheel clean and shiny, you can use any number of product marketed as "chain lube" which don't really lube your chain at all. I've learned this simple lesson from forty years of riding motorcycles.If you don't believe me just look in your owners manual under "Chain Maintennance".

Get wax, it's much cleaner.

I've seen a few bikes that have wax on the chains, and I have to disagree: It looks all messy and uneven every single time.
I use wax on my mountain bike, but that gets covered in mud anyways so it doesn't matter.

I use 90W gear oil applied with a brush on the inside loop of the chain. No waste on the outside of the links and it doesn't go flying everywhere. So easy to clean off. At the rate that I am currently using it at, my 2L bottle I bought for 10$ (plus a 99 cent brush) will last me 3 years easy. I'll go all out and buy a new brush next year lol.

DuPont Teflon Multi-Use (blue can) - Find it at Lowe's.. It's actually better for chains than their "Chain Saver", and in any case 1/2 the price of a "motorcycle-specific" chain lube, while outperforming it by leaps and bounds.

multiuse_new.jpg
+1 for this too!

I put 33,000km's on my R6's stock chain and sprockets and everything looked like new when I swapped it for a +3 and 520 conversion!!! TEFLON MULTI LUBE WORKS SWEEEEET!

-Jamie M.

If you want to lube your chain, use 90 weight gear oil. If you want to keep your rear wheel clean and shiny, you can use any number of product marketed as "chain lube" which don't really lube your chain at all. I've learned this simple lesson from forty years of riding motorcycles.If you don't believe me just look in your owners manual under "Chain Maintennance".

+1 on using oil. I just use used motor oil.

The shortest life that I've ever gotten out of a chain (10,000 km) involved using Chain Wax. The longest that I've gotten out of a chain has been while using oil.

YES, it flings off ... and carries dirt with it. That's the point ...

The shortest life that I've ever gotten out of a chain (10,000 km) involved using Chain Wax. The longest that I've gotten out of a chain has been while using oil.

Anyone know what temperature a chain "typically" runs at?

Dupont Chainsaver:
Versatility — The patented formula goes on wet, penetrates
and sets up with a dry, PTFE wax film, enhanced with a nonstaining molybdenum. It performs as a dry lubricant up to
120°F, and as a wet-style oil lubricant from 120°F to 300°F.

Source - http://www2.dupont.com/Lubricants_Campaign/en_US/content/K-17464-2_Teflon_ChainSaver_Corrugator.pdf

I find that the gear oil I am using doesn't have much dirt in it when I clean the chain, at least a lot less than when I was using a spray-on lube when I first got the bike, but yet I can run my finger along the inside loop and it still slides very well.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but how often do you lube your chain?
I probably way over lube, but I do it every other tankful, so approx every 450 km's. I like to be well lubed so when surprise rides show up I'm prepared =)

-Jamie M.

Back
Top Bottom