Chain Lube - Do We Need It? (Fortnine Video) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chain Lube - Do We Need It? (Fortnine Video)

Huh. Glad to hear that Ryan F9 thinks that $15 can of Motul lube I just ordered from them is an inferior product and a waste of money

I thank him for it in these days of product awareness activations by social media influencers. Harder and harder to find trustworthy and mostly correct analysis on the internet these days.

Before you had to worry about people in forums who passed on old wives tales and just blatantly wrong information. Now you also have to worry about shills in sheep's clothing. At least back in the day, you knew you were taking to a salesman.

Still going to stick with my motul c2 though.

I really like these videos too. Especially the previous one about chain cleaners. However, I have some doubts about the results of Maxima Chain Wax. It doesn't look like they gave enough time for it to settle (as far as I remember, it requires at least 30mins for it). Just because based on my experience, it shouldn't have so bad results in splatter and grit tests.. Anyway, their content is awesome!

I really like these videos too. Especially the previous one about chain cleaners. However, I have some doubts about the results of Maxima Chain Wax. It doesn't look like they gave enough time for it to settle (as far as I remember, it requires at least 30mins for it). Just because based on my experience, it shouldn't have so bad results in splatter and grit tests.. Anyway, their content is awesome!
I use this product as well, i think it works just fine but i let it settle over night.

I use this product as well, i think it works just fine but i let it settle over night.
Yeah, I'm doing the same and didn't notice too much dirt on the chain.. but I'm very surprised with the results of the gear oil.. I might try it next time. Not sure what is the best way to apply it, but I guess I will figure it pretty quickly

Since the 70s I've used hypoid (gear oil) on all my chains. I have only ever changed chains when they stretched out, never had one wear out.

I'm a big fan of Maxima Chain Wax. Clean chain, go for a 5 min ride to heat it up, apply (wife off excess....not sure if Ryan did that), let sit over night. Never had a single fling with this stuff. Plus it smells good :)

Since the 70s I've used hypoid (gear oil) on all my chains. I have only ever changed chains when they stretched out, never had one wear out.
Huh? Change don't noticeably stretch. What is perceived as stretch is bushing wear. Now, if you are happy with the life of your chains, obviously why the "stretch" occurs doesn't matter.

gear oil has been known for years to work the best but it is messy as hell. Scott oiler and other auto chain lubers use oil to keep the chain lubricated and it has been shown those oilers do make the chains last longer.

Scottoiler makes one but it is expensive ( 200 US) and i hear works pretty well. Most are vacuum driven that operate only when the chain is in motion.

Tutoro oiler from the UK

For $200 US you can get a pretty good chain lol

If you are a high mileage all weather rider definitely worth a look....

BB

I use the heaviest gear oil I can find with a little oil can.
I installed the Scott Oiler on my 2003 Bandit. It works on vacuum and it does work great. There are different settings for it but to reduce to much oil getting on the chain I have mine set just below medium volume. Just fill it up when needed and ride.

Good watch! Seems like a reasonably well designed test for garage science. Will probably never buy a can of chain lube again.

I wonder if conventional gear oil would be marginally better than synthetic for this application... I forget the smart way to put it, but it would have more petroleum wax context, right? At the minimum I don't see synthetic offering any benefit whatsoever for this application, as the temperatures & stress would be nowhere near what they would be in an actual gearbox

Edit: I realize the video only features synthetic because that's what he had lying around

Back
Top Bottom