Central etobicoke contractor recomendations | GTAMotorcycle.com

Central etobicoke contractor recomendations

CruisnGrrl

Site Supporter
My parents live in central etobicoke (eglinton) and would like to make it so from the kitchen/dinette you can converse with people in the living room as my mom feels cut off from company if they're hanging out in the living room/dining room. Basically making the place more open concept. there is a load bearing wall and pantry in between the two sections.

Any recommendations on a contractor who can open things up? Unsure if they're keeping or ditching the pantry. Obviously the wall being load bearing would require some sort of pillars but can see around that a lot easier than a wall.

@CruisnGrrl not necessarily, it is sometimes possible to avoid the pillars with a beam. But much more $$$

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

If it is a bungalow, you can hide the beam in the attic. However when you start this you'll be looking at a full reno depending what is in the wall and how you are going to manage the new gap in the floor where the wall was. A less than ideal way is to create a pass through, this way you are not impacting the floor or ceiling.

When it comes to doing things to load bearing walls I always recommend to hire a proper engineer and have them make a recommendation. It the structure of your house ... be careful.

If it is a bungalow, you can hide the beam in the attic. However when you start this you'll be looking at a full reno depending what is in the wall and how you are going to manage the new gap in the floor where the wall was. A less than ideal way is to create a pass through, this way you are not impacting the floor or ceiling.

I think they may want a window sort of thing, there's a couch there too.

Defenitely a good idea to have drawings done/stamped by an engineer, you need them for a permit anyways.

Sometimes you can hide a supporting beam in the main floor ceiling of a two story home, as long as the bearing points, plumbing, electrical and mechanical allow for it. In an unfinished basement it's pretty simple to add a new bearing point (footing) in a finished basement it can be a lot of work.

This is a two story home. We installed this ENGINEERED 4 ply LVL into the joist space, opening up the kitchen to the family room. Bearing on the exterior foundation wall and on to an existing support column in the basement. This was a relatively easy one.

Back
Top Bottom