Center stand advice.. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Center stand advice..

elizabethgypsy

Having a hard time getting my bike on its center stand - takes me about three tries. Getting it off is no problem, just finding it awkward to pull/lift back, holding onto the bar with my left hand and frame near rear with right hand.
Any tips or tricks? He's not an enormously heavy bike (1973 Honda cb350f), and I'm not a complete wimp at 5'4 and 130lbs, but man are my arms sore after trying it about 4 times today on my parking pad, and a couple times with the guy who sold it to me.
It has a side stand as well, but damned if I'm not going with the safer option when I can.

Don't worry about lifting at all. Just put your weight on the stand and the bike wil mostly lift itself up.

Don't worry about lifting at all. Just put your weight on the stand and the bike wil mostly lift itself up.
What he said...also, your left hand on left handle bar(turned all the way to the left), your right hand on the frame. Only use your center stand for servicing, always park it on the side stand. Great looking bike by the way, congrats!

What he said...also, your left hand on left handle bar(turned all the way to the left), your right hand on the frame. Only use your center stand for servicing, always park it on the side stand. Great looking bike by the way, congrats!

Thanks! So side stand > center stand on day to day basis?

Ok so I'm putting my right foot on the stand, and pulling back on the left handlebar with my left hand - I don't want to lift with right hand on frame, just push down on stand with my foot harder? Thank you for helping a noob!

I find side stand is more stable on hard surfaces. On soft surfaces or possibly melting asphalt I prefer center stand.

Ok so I'm putting my right foot on the stand, and pulling back on the left handlebar with my left hand - I don't want to lift with right hand on frame, just push down on stand with my foot harder? Thank you for helping a noob!

I found pulling is almost unnecessay (though I weigh 180). Just balance all your weight on the peg and the bike should become very light.

Put all your weight on your right foot as you pulling back with your left hand and lifting up with your right.
Again, use your center stand for servicing or long term storage only! Never ever use your center stand on warm asphalt or soft/loose surface! Park it on the side stand with a puck underneath it!

Ya a puck is best. I just never liked carrying one around.

Kickstand plates from royal. I have the one on the top. Fits in your pocket, weighs nothing and works great on any surface. Think it was 5 bucks

ge9yrany.jpg

Sent from my commodore 64 on dial up

Having a hard time getting my bike on its center stand - takes me about three tries. Getting it off is no problem, just finding it awkward to pull/lift back, holding onto the bar with my left hand and frame near rear with right hand.
Any tips or tricks? He's not an enormously heavy bike (1973 Honda cb350f), and I'm not a complete wimp at 5'4 and 130lbs, but man are my arms sore after trying it about 4 times today on my parking pad, and a couple times with the guy who sold it to me.
It has a side stand as well, but damned if I'm not going with the safer option when I can.

It took me a few tries before I figured out how to use the centre stand on my 1100 Virago.

My bike weighs about 500 lbs so can't just lift it with my arm, I keep it extended straight and use my
foot to actually provide the leverage.
This short video is an excellent example of the mechanics involved.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwXZyJSPkx4

It's all about putting all you weight down through your right leg, and then using your foot to push down, almost like doing a calf exercise. Also, my left-leg is floating in the air at this point. Depending upon how tall and heavy you are, you won't be able to get the bike on the center stand just by just extending your legs and pushing down with you big, upper-leg muscle.

Just a comment about centre stand being better on soft asphalt - I disagree. The stand can still sink and you can't use a puck to protect it.

To the OP, you may want the puck easier to access than under your seat. I keep it in my pocket so I can drop it, put side stand down, position it with my foot and then lower the bike. It only takes me a second.

Good advice on how to use the cente stand. I think you have the technique, probably just need practice.

Oh, and awesome choice of bike.

Ya a puck is best. I just never liked carrying one around.

Keep it under the seat or just crush a pop can.

You already got some good advice on using the center stand.. Here's what worked for me

-Ok, left hand handlebar, right foot putting down the stand
-I would push the bike (gently lol) away from me as if to tip it onto its right side and then put my weight down onto the stand <-- pushing the bike turned it from "a workout" into "easy as p.i.e."

Keep it under the seat or just crush a pop can.

You already got some good advice on using the center stand.. Here's what worked for me

-Ok, left hand handlebar, right foot putting down the stand
-I would push the bike (gently lol) away from me as if to tip it onto its right side and then put my weight down onto the stand <-- pushing the bike turned it from "a workout" into "easy as p.i.e."

When I tried it last, it felt like it would be easier if I pushed it a bit away from me like you're describing - but I'm so godamn paranoid about dropping the bike.. Maybe if I try this with a friend standing on the other side in case I lean it to far they can help me right it..

Just a comment about centre stand being better on soft asphalt - I disagree. The stand can still sink and you can't use a puck to protect it.

To the OP, you may want the puck easier to access than under your seat. I keep it in my pocket so I can drop it, put side stand down, position it with my foot and then lower the bike. It only takes me a second.

Good advice on how to use the cente stand. I think you have the technique, probably just need practice.

Oh, and awesome choice of bike.

Thanks! I'm going to find something kicking around the house to use, until I can pick up one of those handy kickstand plates Roomie mentioned. Probably dicey getting into under seat storage from the other side of the bike..

When I tried it last, it felt like it would be easier if I pushed it a bit away from me like you're describing - but I'm so godamn paranoid about dropping the bike.. Maybe if I try this with a friend standing on the other side in case I lean it to far they can help me right it..

The bike won't lean once the centre stand touches the ground. With just the weight of a toe (no hands) you can lower the stand without lifting the bike at all and the bike will remain upright and stable on it's own (on level ground).
That should be your starting point for lifting the bike. As you add more weight you will see the bike rise on it's suspension, without even holding on to anything. Holding on to the bike is more to balance you than the bike! And of course it allows you to put extra weight on your foot.
Practice just balancing the bike on the centre stand. Only if you let the stand off the ground do you have to hold the bike to balance it again.

Back
Top Bottom