cell phone experts | GTAMotorcycle.com

cell phone experts

SunnY S

Site Supporter
question 1: is it worth paying extra to get 5g capability?

question 2: can those kijiji sellers be trusted? why are their prices so much cheaper than retail. many of them are independent wireless shops with good prices, most claim "brand new in box", are they importing them? I noticed many are dual sim capable. Is this why they get them cheap?

looking at Samsung S20/Note series.....

Do you find yourself waiting impatiently for videos to download? Lag getting you killed when you're playing your multi-user games? Flying drones, jamming with other musicians or doing remote surgery over mobile data?

Then 5G may be for you. Speed is bumped up from LTE/4G, but the biggest improvement is latency.

Do you find yourself waiting impatiently for videos to download? Lag getting you killed when you're playing your multi-user games? Flying drones, jamming with other musicians or doing remote surgery over mobile data?

Then 5G may be for you. Speed is bumped up from LTE/4G, but the biggest improvement is latency.

Thank you, that is helpful. currently have telus LTE and its perfectly fine for all my needs speed wise.

Not so sure we're quite there to make 5G worth the move yet - ie. our 5G is not yet working at full capability.

Read something on how the new iPhone 12 in Canada is missing an antenna on the side as we just can't use it yet. The USA is further ahead as I understand it.

If you need to ask about whether or not you need 5G, you don't.

Samsung S20 phones are literally different between some countries (Google this because I don't know which one and how bad the difference is)

Also ppl sell **** on Kijiji for many reasons...like **** falling off trucks. Turn a blind eye ;)

The 5G they're rolling out now is not "true" 5G. It's faster than 4G, but not by leaps and bounds. We won't be seeing fully implemented 5G till 3rd quarter '21 at the earliest, once the 3500 spectrum auction plays out.

Last edited:
Not so sure we're quite there to make 5G worth the move yet - ie. our 5G is not yet working at full capability.

Read something on how the new iPhone 12 in Canada is missing an antenna on the side as we just can't use it yet. The USA is further ahead as I understand it.

The iPhone 12s coming into Canada don't have mmWave capability (short distance/high volume).

question 2: can those kijiji sellers be trusted? why are their prices so much cheaper than retail. many of them are independent wireless shops with good prices, most claim "brand new in box", are they importing them? I noticed many are dual sim capable. Is this why they get them cheap?

looking at Samsung S20/Note series.....

the dual SIM indicates wholesale intended for foreign markets
they are priced to be competitive in developing countries
they'll be unlocked - NA and UK are the only places I know of with contract phones

it's important to see that the device will have the proper frequency bands for here
and of course there will be no warranty

There are no 5G windows phones. 5g is not worth giving windows phone.
There are still windows phones??? I thought those died long ago. Even friends that were MS employees havent had a windows phone in a very long time.

For speed 5G allows for wider channels which will increase speed (if they are wider in the deployment by the cell provider). There are two frequency ranges, FR1 (first range) is below 6 GHz and uses a similar range as 4G (it does go a little higher), but can have wider channels. All of what we see today at the consumer level is FR1. It is pretty busy spectrum so channel widths are limited, don't expect game changer performance over 4G... Double would be happy time. When they talk about the really big speeds it is FR2 (second range) which is above 20 GHz, that is not what is on the consumer market today AFAIK.

The question is, how long do you keep a phone, if it is just two or three years I do not see the logic in paying a premium for it. (I have a 5G, but work supplies it, I wouldn't pay extra for just it). I switched over today (S7 to S20) and my life did not change at all, literally.

Lots of fake stuff on kijiji including phones that start-up and look real, are locked, or stolen. Not enough savings IMO to consider it unless the seller was very well known and trusted.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom