cell phone experts | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

cell phone experts

Motorola flip phone ftw

ff90e2c853511db796deb11aaa0a1f39.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to bring them out when my kids would wine about needing a better phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm seeing a lot of pics of dead phones. Just sayin'.

42ELxv3JbJ22J7lH6_bodQJkBMUvYV8Hy-9D2zuLoP_F_HOmICi6tSB91dMo9OZ9n3Q8lq-4oNCwIwkaKew0-qDEe9_B_te1nZymMH1akAHsTlf2_jtpWp0gxIcMf8ZfASDYmqCYYNrrTraQz9EurpRjcuDzo-IsnH6HhewF9IllJH0-YdyELY99_6Q3_WvRDZsddvbF1eaF0bDC60yNjHaOBKg2iUX3MnRKOh4Pv36E8z9gG-5SgRArqrE_2RkrYAgBRIjt8iEQbyH3VRDvhGNJjqdFVRDfzAoYV1g47qlJhq4KDFD-9Crp0JAqskmthZBjEL8pM87FhAd-0KaKnKIKxd6qAXc9HhQo9ZZ3bl0qmadPhTprGTw11t8VRn_slryWJX721tZxibegpRpL-h1FrDqOprx_TfnPl_FF1I_4C2XXOOwcVykbmd0Xbvhgm8Hv3_4TdQIfifvghW2cL3ggaZ3oIm2w6avjK08wnI0dstzP5uMuJM_ZIzaMi-ICl2SFcI0Zv-xmgrd_dH8j3e84yAjOUgrWtd2NjQSlsdv3k6_Ayev8kWgEma20wdjpFAgl3a_PWy6I4EZ_YvIGFN_sPSKvoCOTaJJPpdoDgFEanXPDYku9deIIWpr0_VEW7VHcVpdFisKurO9zBUI9pdmeYG1WRZpHLncww1GQJCGcFHrhfA7FvxLbGoo6=w640-h480-no

From huge to small and back to huge again.

Miss my RAZR and Mr. Skinny phone from Clearnet. Still have the same number from 1996....

To answer the original question - no, 5G is a huge waste of time. mmWave could potentially make some kind of difference in very densely populated areas, but who knows if there are any even in Toronto that would qualify. It is basically an excuse for NA telecoms to jack their rates again because they are "investing in infrastructure". Let's say one day, it does possibly become worth it... well, then buy your new hardware then. Don't get a 5G phone now and then wait five years for them to build a network around it.

Hey you people showing off your old phones, somebody produce a Palm Pre

To answer the original question - no, 5G is a huge waste of time. mmWave could potentially make some kind of difference in very densely populated areas, but who knows if there are any even in Toronto that would qualify. It is basically an excuse for NA telecoms to jack their rates again because they are "investing in infrastructure". Let's say one day, it does possibly become worth it... well, then buy your new hardware then. Don't get a 5G phone now and then wait five years for them to build a network around it.

from what I am seeing, Samsung S20 series and Notes, all feature 5g regardless for canadian/US versions. I've seen lots of non 5G, "world" versions (for other markets) on kijiji, and they are cheaper, but apparently they feature a lousy Samsung made chipset which is inferior in every metric compared to the US/Canada versions with Snapdragon chip and uses more battery power. Thats a no go in my books when they are commanding this kind of money for a phone.

narrowed down the search to a Note 20 ultra with 5g.

maybe in 2-5 years when I sell this thing, 5G will be around fully, and people may be interested in buying a used phone that is still "current"

Back in my day, the StarTac was the "it" phone. Kinda like a guy who owns a Tesla today.

Also, you were cool if you were driving around with one of the coil antennas on your back window to show the world you were a VIP with a car phone.

Last edited:
from what I am seeing, Samsung S20 series and Notes, all feature 5g regardless for canadian/US versions. I've seen lots of non 5G, "world" versions (for other markets) on kijiji, and they are cheaper, but apparently they feature a lousy Samsung made chipset which is inferior in every metric compared to the US/Canada versions with Snapdragon chip and uses more battery power. Thats a no go in my books when they are commanding this kind of money for a phone.

narrowed down the search to a Note 20 ultra with 5g.

maybe in 2-5 years when I sell this thing, 5G will be around fully, and people may be interested in buying a used phone that is still "current"
The relationship between Samsung and Qualcomm is highly adversarial. Well... Qualcomm has an adversarial relationship with everyone I suppose, like Intel of yore. If Samsung had their way, every version would have the Exynos chip instead of the Snapdragon.

On that note, you reminded me of something I totally forgot - for "flagship" phones you won't even have a choice of whether or not you get 5G. Since everybody uses Snapdragon chipsets in their fanciest phones, and Qualcomm will not sell you an 865 unless you also buy an X55 modem (5G) then everybody "automatically" has it.

The relationship between Samsung and Qualcomm is highly adversarial. Well... Qualcomm has an adversarial relationship with everyone I suppose, like Intel of yore. If Samsung had their way, every version would have the Exynos chip instead of the Snapdragon.

On that note, you reminded me of something I totally forgot - for "flagship" phones you won't even have a choice of whether or not you get 5G. Since everybody uses Snapdragon chipsets in their fanciest phones, and Qualcomm will not sell you an 865 unless you also buy an X55 modem (5G) then everybody "automatically" has it.

could care less about "politics", I just want the best for my money. review after review panned the samsung chipset for being notably slower, draining battery life, and running hot.

when you have a killer display like this phone has, and you are laying out this kind of cash, I'll take all the advantage I can get. The 5G is just a bonus whether I need it or not, and keeps the phone "relevant" for years to come regardless.

Haha nice! I had 2 of those. The first and last in the lineup.

Back
Top Bottom