CBC gets a trim | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBC gets a trim

Mad Mike

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation/Radio-Canada announced Monday that it plans to cut about 10 percent of its workforce and axe some programming to cope with a $125 million budget shortfall. 800 jobs in total, 600 employees, and 200 open positions are being canceled.

Looks like Radio takes the biggest hit -- 500 jobs.

All in all it's a pretty light trim considering what the private sector media has had to do in the last couple of years.

I guess that's $125 mill of taxpayer money saved.

Media companies dropping the hammer on employees lately. There were huge layoffs in Que recently.

Radio One is already a ghost of it's former self.

They'd have all that money if they'd laid off Cherry when I suggested.

The CBC was created to put radio and then TV signal into every corner of Canada , not try a pay streaming service or try Hollywood scale production. This haircut should have happened a decade ago. Can con is an important factor , but like every government created service grew well out of their trouser’s .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Under the new amended Bill C18, CBC stands to collect 1/3 of the Google annual $100 million just by the fact that they have 1/3 of the journalist in Canada on the payroll.

When you now consider the Liberal Government media Bailouts conveniently timed with elections or poor showings in the polls like the recent expansion of the media tax credits and the forced media payments through Government entanglement, one must question if a “free press” still exist in Canada.

Last edited:
Under the new amended Bill C18, CBC stands to collect 1/3 of the Google annual $100 million just by the fact that they have 1/3 of the journalist in Canada on the payroll.

When you now consider the Liberal Government media Bailouts conveniently timed with elections or poor showings in the polls like the recent expansion of the media tax credits and the forced media payments through Government entanglement, one must question if a “free press” still exist in Canada.
Yup more smoke and mirrors.

Honestly I gave up on media and news in general when COVID started. I get better information from you guys on here.

It seems media only cares about two special interest groups. A) wackos B) politicians. Factual presentation of facts is passe. That would require the population to truly think and that could get dangerous.

Haha. Cbc boss is getting dragged into parliament to discuss firing minions and giving execs bonuses.

Good. It's ludicrous that they get so much in free money, and yet the executives keep their bonuses, while the rank and file get punished for the top level incompetence.

I hate the system, and I understand it's how it works in the private sector...but in the public sector. Screw the bonuses, and give them to the staff that are being laid off...or keep the staff.

Or just get rid of the whole CBC. If you can't compete / be profitable with so much free public money...you're just not that good at your job.

Yup , and she says yada yada yada , minions can go , top execs require top wages to keep , yada yada . And on it goes .

Keep them to do what work? CBC is dogshit.

Yup , and she says yada yada yada , minions can go , top execs require top wages to keep , yada yada . And on it goes .

I don’t believe public execs should be paid like their private sector peers for one simple reason… they don’t have to manage viability or profit… which are the key KPIs for every private sector exec.

Haha. Cbc boss is getting dragged into parliament to discuss firing minions and giving execs bonuses.

She lives in NYC and most likely charges all of her travel expenses to the CBC.

She was appointed 5 years ago to bring the CBC into the digital age and away from Radio and TV

Hmm.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom