CB500F for long distance . | GTAMotorcycle.com

CB500F for long distance .

pfbmgd

A female friend wants to ride . She is signed up for her M2 . I was going to suggest a SV650 for her . But after looking at the price . I think she will be better off with a CB500F . I doubt she will be doing week long touring . But maybe weekend get aways . How are they for mounting saddle bags and tail bags ? How are they for 500 km days ?

A female friend wants to ride . She is signed up for her M2 . I was going to suggest a SV650 for her . But after looking at the price . I think she will be better off with a CB500F . I doubt she will be doing week long touring . But maybe weekend get aways . How are they for mounting saddle bags and tail bags ? How are they for 500 km days ?
I rode one, its a nice bike, usable power, 300+ km per tank, you can probably put some sort of bags on it, the only thing I didnt like was the wind on the highway, but I think unless you have a giant batwing fairing, that is the unavoidable reality of riding

I did multiple long days in the saddle, the ergo's and seat are fairly comfortable

5e61d15fe715a.jpg

Definitely needs a windscreen.
Depending on her height - she may get lower back discomfort after riding 4-500 kms+ at a stretch.

Had one for 4 years and 20k...good bike overall. Decent power and very manageable. I set it up with the GIVI luggage.
E21 on each side and the tail bag gave me plenty of volume for carrying stuff. Used it as a commuter also and the hard luggage was awesome. Still have the E21.
My biggest gripe, absolute shite on the highway due to the wind blast. Was very tiring over extended 400 series after an hour so I got rid of it. Miss the bike, was good at everything but great at nothing.

EDIT: I did multiple 800+ km days an outside of normal pains...nothing major. Expect 300-350km per tank. I’m 5’7 and about 180lbs and found it fit me well.

I have a few gal friends that ride. Most prefer a top box, small saddlebags only when needed, and some element control.

Honda cb500x has a bit more element protection and slightly better touring ergos. It’s not really an ADV bike, just dressed up to look like one so if the look is ok, it’s a great all around beginner bike.

I have a few gal friends that ride. Most prefer a top box, small saddlebags only when needed, and some element control.

Honda cb500x has a bit more element protection and slightly better touring ergos. It’s not really an ADV bike, just dressed up to look like one so if the look is ok, it’s a great all around beginner bike.
That looks much better for wind protection . Just can't find any used on Kijiji .

CB500x would be a better choice. Seat height might be a bit high, but it's an excellent bike all-round.
Jack of all trades master of none type of bike from everything I read.

That bike is becoming my focus as well.

Still think a properly prepared dual sport is the best bike for a noob. CB500x is overweight and waaay underpowered. Even for a noob.

If your friend is afraid of something 500cc, another idea is the Honda 250rally.i had one for a year. Great wind protection,2.6l/100km zero vibration. Huge list of accessories. Comes with a 12v powerport.

Had one for a couple years. Did a Pennsylvania trip on it and many Muskoka rides. I think as long as you are going less than 140 on the highway for hours on end, you'll be fine. Funny thing is if you granny it, you can almost do that 500 km on one tank.

Good reliable comfortable bike. It's just pretty boring. There's the saying, it's not about the destination but the ride. The Cb500f defintely does not subscribe to that. It's get to the destination every time.

As others have suggested, she should look long and hard at the CB500X. It might be a bit of a bite financially up front, but she'll be happier in the long run. A friend who's been riding big displacement cruisers for decades bought one a couple of years ago and she is absolutely happy with it. She can keep riding without worrying about the weight or seat height. Yes, the power delivery can be rather appliance like, but its a Honda and will last forever.

Still think a properly prepared dual sport is the best bike for a noob. CB500x is overweight and waaay underpowered. Even for a noob.
If your friend is afraid of something 500cc, another idea is the Honda 250rally.i had one for a year. Great wind protection,2.6l/100km zero vibration. Huge list of accessories. Comes with a 12v powerport.
"CB500x is overweight and waaay underpowered. Even for a noob."

:unsure: was something wrong with your bike or did you just need to twist the throttle more.

"CB500x is overweight and waaay underpowered. Even for a noob."

:unsure: was something wrong with your bike or did you just need to twist the throttle more.
The Rally had horrible suspension. It would take about $2k in upgrades to make it tolerable. It would be fine for someone with no experience.

The Rally had horrible suspension. It would take about $2k in upgrades to make it tolerable. It would be fine for someone with no experience.
I'm talking about the so called underpowered CB500 twin, if you can't make that get up and go there is something wrong with it.

Back
Top Bottom