Carrying Extra Fuel... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Carrying Extra Fuel...

mac_135

So my new bike doesn't take me as far on a tank as I'd like, especially for multi day trips. Anyone have any suggestions on what sort of canister to use and how to secure it? I was thinking of attaching something to the outside of a tail bag rather than storing it inside one.. The bike is an 09 Triumph Bonneville by the way, so I basically have a flat passenger seat to work with storage wise.

I was looking into one of these (or similar):

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/22/259/20367/ITEM/Kolpin-Fuel-Pack-Jr.aspx

Any other suggestions or input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I rode 8,000 kilometers with a 5 litre can strapped onto my bike.

Ask Wheelieboy about his Cbr600 ride to California and back, I believe he had his set up on a passenger peg.

Speaking of which, there is a gas can holder you can mount to a passenger peg to hold a can. It precludes carrying passengers, but might be just the ticket.

What is your tank range?

Hey, that's where I have my cup holder mounted. They stole my mounting idea, lol.

I've seen people recommend the camping fuel canisters for this purpose but I emailed the manufacturer and they said the containers should be fine to carry fuel in for a little while but after extended periods the gasoline will start to eat the inside of the bottle and that they were not officially approved for gasoline transport.

I could see some serious leg injuries in a crash with that plate behind your leg...but mind you, probably no worse than the giant metal box behind it.

PP_1150_500A.jpg

I could see some serious leg injuries in a crash with that plate behind your leg...but mind you, probably no worse than the giant metal box behind it.

Exactly. The first injury I ever had with my KLR and it's ammo cans, was to strike my ankle against the can as I took off on loose surface, which is exactly what my buddy Dan found on his maiden dirt voyage with hard cases.

You have to be mindful, but I doubt he'd experience the same conditions on a Bonneville, and of course, he'd have to adapt the bracket or design and build one of his own.

I was going to carry fuel bottles like these for camp fuel and possibly extra gasoline with me on the Trans Labrador Highway with me this past summer...
sigg_1l.jpg

When I realized that camp fuel comes in pressurized 1 litre containers, and that gasoline could be easily carried in CSA approved gas cans. Doh. I now use the four containers I bought for water in the work truck. ;)

IMG01146-20110715-2138.jpg

Here's Wheelieboy's method... from his blog: http://supersporttouring.blogspot.ca/
248756_765014862820_89905068_41096518_98733_n.jpg

Those passenger peg things look awesome!

You can probably buy a footpeg and some sheet aluminium and cobble one of your own together fairly easily. I didn't see "Bonneville" listed there. :)

What is the fuel range that you're worried about? What trip did you have in mind?

Royal Distributing near GP has the one you posted in stock. I just bought it today. It seems much better than the jerry can/Bungee method and looks much nicer. It was $40 for the can and $20 for the plain mount. $40 if you want the L-bracket/mount.

I rode 8,000 kilometers with a 5 litre can strapped onto my bike.

Ask Wheelieboy about his Cbr600 ride to California and back, I believe he had his set up on a passenger peg.

Speaking of which, there is a gas can holder you can mount to a passenger peg to hold a can. It precludes carrying passengers, but might be just the ticket.

What is your tank range?

I cringe when I see that tank hanging.

Love the Peg idea, wonder if that can fit on a sport bike, lol

You can probably buy a footpeg and some sheet aluminium and cobble one of your own together fairly easily. I didn't see "Bonneville" listed there. :)

What is the fuel range that you're worried about? What trip did you have in mind?

Well I'd love to be able to run 300km without stopping (buddy rides a vstrom) - Did it on my z750 a few times (averaged about 260 on a tank though) and the Bonneville seems to go a little less than that (smaller tank so it's expected). It's almost more of a mental thing because the low fuel light comes on really early on this bike. I don't have any specific trip in mind yet, but I love wandering off and not having to worry that I'll end up in the middle of nowhere with every gas station being closed (it's almost happened). Been thinking of doing a run down the Blue Ridge Parkway as my next big one.

Royal Distributing near GP has the one you posted in stock. I just bought it today. It seems much better than the jerry can/Bungee method and looks much nicer. It was $40 for the can and $20 for the plain mount. $40 if you want the L-bracket/mount.

Good to know! Might head up there. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom