Caribana is getting a new name | GTAMotorcycle.com

Caribana is getting a new name

Myztyk

Site Supporter
Caribana getting a new name

2011/05/17 | Shawne McKeown, CityNews.ca

b6c7c2934904b19e3efd3929c00a.jpeg
Participants in the Caribana Parade, July 31, 2010. CITYNEWS.CA/SHAWNE MCKEOWN.

Poll

Related Stories

The 2010 Caribana Parade In Pictures

Caribana is getting a new name for its 44th birthday.

Toronto’s summer Caribbean festival can no longer be called Caribana because of a trademark violation, according to a report in the Toronto Star Tuesday.

Festival Management Committee (FMC), the group that has been running the event for the past five years, must operate Caribana under a different name following a ruling in the Ontario Superior Court this week.

The name Caribana is trademarked by the group that founded the festival but no longer runs the event.

FMC says the festival will go ahead as planned this year and nothing will change aside from the new name, which will be revealed next Wednesday.

The festival attracts two million people every year -- about 300,000 visiting from outside Canada.

Given the consumer driven society we live in, I'm thinking the people of the GTA should get a chance to help come up with a new name.

So I'm thinking that, we, the people of GTAM should get the ball rolling. Who's got a good replacement name?

The name Caribana is trademarked by the group that founded the festival but no longer runs the event.

WTF kind of a petty power struggle is that! As if the name is worth anything outside it's association with this festival. It's like the founders aren't actually interested in the success of the festival, they just want to control it. People are nuts.

WTF kind of a petty power struggle is that! As if the name is worth anything outside it's association with this festival. It's like the founders aren't actually interested in the success of the festival, they just want to control it. People are nuts.

True.

Ok so what you are saying is... because there was a shooting at a Caribana that makes it ghetto? What about all those people that work so hard all year long on their costumes. What about all the families that go to celebrate where they came from??? I'm not even black and I'm offended by the turn of this thread.

Shame on you people and shame on the mods for allowing this ****.

new organizers will license the name from the old owners. problem solved. everyone is happy.

They should officially call it something like "Canada's International Festival and Parade of Carribean Culture in Toronto" so that unofficially everyone still just calls it "Caribana" anyways.

Ok so what you are saying is... because there was a shooting at a Caribana that makes it ghetto? What about all those people that work so hard all year long on their costumes. What about all the families that go to celebrate where they came from??? I'm not even black and I'm offended by the turn of this thread.

^^^^^+1

Caribana has a serious image problem for the last 20 years or more. It's not just the violence, there's been mismanagement, missing funds, corruption, questionable committee practices among other things. It's got plenty of other problems besides the shootings.

+1 truely disgusting

Caribana has a serious image problem for the last 20 years or more. It's not just the violence, there's been mismanagement, missing funds, corruption, questionable committee practices among other things. It's got plenty of other problems besides the shootings.

Whats your point because that can be said about any organization or government.

It is a huge revenue influx and tourism meca for Toronto.
http://www.topeventscanada.com/Ontario-ON-top-events-festivals-Caribana.html
"Now over 43 years old, Caribana attracts over 1.4 million visitors each year and has become a major international event and is the largest cultural festival of its kind in North America. In fact, Caribana was one of the first Caribbean carnivals, along with those in New York and Boston, USA, and Notting HIll in London, England to be celebrated away from the Caribbean."

Whats your point because that can be said about any organization or government.

My point is I, like many thousands of Torontonians, will avoid the Lakeshore during Caribana. But few will openly admit to it.

Montreal, on the other hand, has a Caribana-type event that I've been to and enjoyed.

Last edited:
Personally, I think its good for the city and the true enthusiasts to display their culture and music. Unfortunately, as great as a musicial like Sean Paul was for his hometown and culture... much of his fan following misconstrue the ideals and don't look for any meanings past the women/bling/catch phrases in the video.

With the crowd it attracts, no wonder people think it's ghetto. It's "cool" to act ghetto/thug and listen to soca these days... I'm willing to bet that over 80% of the tourists are just there to "front" and "holla at the ******* rather than relax and learn about the culture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom