Car Recommendation for My Daughter | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Car Recommendation for My Daughter

It's your daughter. Get her a Porsche, I've heard it's a woman's car.

^ GG mentioned the Matrix/Vibe earlier

certainly ticks the boxes
gonna see if the Vibe escapes the Toyota premium for the same car
Find a vibe and you'll save money....get the 1.8l...the 2.4 burns oil. The Matrix is the same....any year of the 1.8 will go forever.

Reactions: J_F
she doesn't like the Soul, Gen Z
who TF knows what drives them?
pressuring for a mini

but a 5k mini is going to be a massive POS
in fact I hear a new mini is a POS
My brother used to be a tech at a Mini dealership. You really, really, really do not want to own one out of warranty.

^ GG mentioned the Matrix/Vibe earlier

certainly ticks the boxes
gonna see if the Vibe escapes the Toyota premium for the same car
The Matrix and Vibe are nearly identical, but the surprising part is that the Vibe has way better standard equipment than the Matrix does. Like the Matrix has like 3-4 different versions of the wiper stalk alone - but the Vibe doesn't bother with that ****, they just picked the best one and used that.

Vibe has one thing that Matrix does not. A 115W outlet in the center console.

Also note that base model vibe/matrix does not offer power windows and foldable front passenger seat (essential for hauling long stuff).

The wife drives a 2010 mazda 3 sport wagon. We bought it in 2015 with 68k km on it, only has 120k on it now as she rides her motorcycle as much as possible.
It has been reliable however I have had to replace the rear upper shock mounts twice, they are thin and prone to breaking.
I've done both front wheel bearings and am about to do the rears along with rear shocks and calipers, pads and rotors.
Overall a cheap and cheerful kind of car, good room, not fast but handles well.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
I've had the same experience with the mazda 3 (rear upper mounts and shocks). The same goes for the mazda 5, same mounts and they break just as often, $20 part and an hour to change but annoying when it happens.

Too bad she doesn't like manual.

My 2013 focus hatchback in 5mt has been reliable. Only consumables and no issues whatsoever (except for setting rattles)

Been in 2 accidents though, me at 0% fault.

Too bad she doesn't like manual.

My 2013 focus hatchback in 5mt has been reliable. Only consumables and no issues whatsoever (except for setting rattles)

Been in 2 accidents though, me at 0% fault.
Manual opens up a lot of affordable options. A friend with a base mazda 3 standard couldnt sell it even though it was low mileage. People looking at used mazda 3's are almost all automatic people. He just kept it and drove it into the ground.

looking around for a used hatchback for my daughter
needs to be a hatch for her dog - my granddaughter
she's not good with a manual, so needs to be an auto
don't need AWD - she lives in TO
budget of around 5K, preferably under 200 k on it

I like Subies but with miles on them the head-gaskets are a crapshoot
I like the Focus, the 5 spds are bulletproof, but the autos are a risk
VW? Golf is a good car, strong resale = well worn out in that budget
anything Honda or Toyota are the same as VW - big km
Mazda 3? some lower km examples in good shape, no idea on reliability
haven't really thought about the Korean brands, general impression is to avoid them used

any suggestions ??
I'm going to be out of the country for a bit and not able to help out if she has trouble
One of my kids has a 2015 Jeep Patriot. 200k, never had anything but maintenance. Use a bit more in fuel, but offset the 0 cost for repairs, cheap service, cheap insurance and the TCO beats just about everything.

Also, with the exception of a coworker needing an engine for her 2013 Elantra...
My co-worker's son also needed an engine for his Accent while still under warranty. The worst part was they originally blamed him for how he drove the car, and then dragged the repair over 6 months or more going back and forth to Subaru head office (I assume Canada) for approvals. Don't think they will ever buy another after that experience.

My co-worker's son also needed an engine for his Accent while still under warranty. The worst part was they originally blamed him for how he drove the car, and then dragged the repair over 6 months or more going back and forth to Subaru head office (I assume Canada) for approvals. Don't think they will ever buy another after that experience.
Well there's your problem. Subaru head office is not the correct contact for a blown engine in an accent. :D

Well there's your problem. Subaru head office is not the correct contact for a blown engine in an accent. :D

Doh! I was going to comment next on the 2012 Subaru Impreza CVT I bought for my kids, which I have mixed feelings about. This generation switched to cam chains, so no more belt changes, and if you can find one that was recalled for the valve springs but hasn't been addressed yet, the engine has to come out to replace them, and you can opt to pay to reseal the motor if there are any leaks not related to the valve covers. Got mine with 250,000 km's, and it's been trouble free other than a pre-existing oil leak which is a pain because of the way it drips on the exhaust and stinks up the cabin, but hopefully it will get addressed when I get the recall done. It's a safety recall, so no charge, and they're supposed to provide a loaner for the couple days they need it. Yeah, like I said, mixed feelings.

+1 for the 1st gen Fit's(even the 2nd gens are bulletproof)

It's like Dr Who Tardis for interior space, once those magic seats fold down.

I commuted with one for a year, great car.

I’d recommend the Fit as I’ve not heard much negative about it. Hell I might end up with one or a Mazda5 as a commuter as I’ve always liked my cousins’ car with the manual. Thing went pretty good and overall good and practical car.

Back
Top Bottom